Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Starting line up + rotations going forward

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Starting line up + rotations going forward

    *knock on wood no more injuries!

    With Demar coming back Thursday how would you like to see the starting line-ups and subs used? Personally I really enjoy having James Johnson in the starting unit. It provides better defences since he is an actual 3 and can guard 3 + help 4. Derozan ..should.. get the starting job so in my mind:

    Lowry/Derozan/Johnson/Johnson/Val

    First up will be Ross to limit Demar's minutes, then the usual greasy/louey business + however Casey feels about the big situation.

    Thoughts?

  • #2
    Hurricane_Herm wrote: View Post
    *knock on wood no more injuries!

    With Demar coming back Thursday how would you like to see the starting line-ups and subs used? Personally I really enjoy having James Johnson in the starting unit. It provides better defences since he is an actual 3 and can guard 3 + help 4. Derozan ..should.. get the starting job so in my mind:

    Lowry/Derozan/Johnson/Johnson/Val

    First up will be Ross to limit Demar's minutes, then the usual greasy/louey business + however Casey feels about the big situation.

    Thoughts?
    I like JJ for his defense as well, but there just isn't enough perimeter shooting on the floor with that line up. Gotta space the floor out for bigs and DD to operate.

    Comment


    • #3
      We may need to consider taking Amir of the starting unit.

      Comment


      • #4
        I think JJ is great and even though I despise Ross. He has a good 3 point shot which will definitely space the floor. As mentioned above it really makes that lineup nice and harder to guard.
        2006-07 NBA Coach of the Year

        Comment


        • #5
          Nilanka wrote: View Post
          We may need to consider taking Amir of the starting unit.
          I like that idea, 2Pat to create space for the starters work with and allow Amir to be a greater offensive focus on the 2nd unit, running PnR with GV, allowing him to thrive in his best use as a distributor.. Lou to maintain his current role but likely seeing better looks

          Comment


          • #6
            Nilanka wrote: View Post
            We may need to consider taking Amir of the starting unit.
            Yeah, Amir just isn't looking like Amir these days, but I don't know who you replace him with? None of the options on the bench look better right now.

            Comment


            • #7
              Mediumcore wrote: View Post
              Yeah, Amir just isn't looking like Amir these days, but I don't know who you replace him with? None of the options on the bench look better right now.
              It's gotta be Patterson. All he'd need to do is space the floor and rebound.

              Comment


              • #8
                Nilanka wrote: View Post
                It's gotta be Patterson. All he'd need to do is space the floor and rebound.
                Well that's the problem.....

                2pat cannot rebound!
                "Both teams played hard my man" - Sheed

                Comment


                • #9
                  Nilanka wrote: View Post
                  It's gotta be Patterson. All he'd need to do is space the floor and rebound.
                  He's been awful lately though. Can't shoot and his defense has been non-existant. I think I would rather see JJ out there instead of Patterson, despite the size difference.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Mediumcore wrote: View Post
                    He's been awful lately though. Can't shoot and his defense has been non-existant. I think I would rather see JJ out there instead of Patterson, despite the size difference.
                    I'd be ok with that, especially against teams with smaller front courts.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      MACK11 wrote: View Post
                      Well that's the problem.....

                      2pat cannot rebound!
                      Totally. It's remarkable how bad he is at it.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        MACK11 wrote: View Post
                        Well that's the problem.....

                        2pat cannot rebound!
                        2Pats can't rebound like Love can't. Love is a good rebounder but If he's on the perimeter his rebounding suffers. He isn't great but not terrible. He's been used as a C sometimes which makes him look bad.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          I think Ross is the weakest link, but we need him to start for shooting and spacing like others have said. Moving Amir to the bench really sucks for him, he really deserves to start but I understand the suggestion. I just don't think it moves the needle that much because although Patterson can provide spacing and has a great shot, he just isn't as smart a defender or screener than Amir is, and those are the two most important things we need from our starting PF given the way we play. And although Amir hasn't rebounded particularly well this season, I think he is better than Patterson. Remember, that starting unit needs more help defensively than offensively.

                          If only James Johnson could shoot the 3...

                          Anyways, next season should provide the team more opportunity to tinker with the lineup, I'm just not sure we have the right assortment of personnel right now to make adjustments to the starting unit. Right now, the guys I definitely want to see here next year include JV, Amir, Demar, Lowry, JJ and Patterson. I'd include Lou too but I think he has too much leeway with his shot for my tastes. And I'd keep Hayes too if he comes cheap. And of course Bruno is a keeper for now too.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Assuming Lowry, DeRozan and JV are untouchable in the starting lineup, I think there are 2 forward combinations that work, in order to provide floor spacing:

                            1. Amir & Ross
                            2. Patterson & JJ

                            The problem is that neither JJ or Fields know the offense enough to do the little things that Amir provides on both ends of the court.

                            There are no capable replacements for Lowry or JV.

                            Subbing in JJ/Fields for DeRozan would allow Lowry to continue running the show, while providing balance (off-ball play and sound perimeter defense), but there's no chance the DeRozan goes to the bench. The only reason this even gets a 1% consideration is because of how poor Amir's play has been this season, causing the PF spot to be the weakness (ignoring the issue of Ross playing out of position).

                            Having said all that, I really can't see the starting lineup changing. However, changing substitution patterns could go a long way towards mixing things up and masking any issues that persist with that lineup. I actually think this is more integral to success than which 5 players start the game.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              raptors999 wrote: View Post
                              2Pats can't rebound like Love can't. Love is a good rebounder but If he's on the perimeter his rebounding suffers. He isn't great but not terrible. He's been used as a C sometimes which makes him look bad.

                              Love is a great rebounder. 2Pat is a bad rebounder. None of this perimeter stuff holds weight
                              It's Klaw Season. Time to hunt.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X