Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did we invest too much in Chemistry and Growth.

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #46
    OldSkoolCool wrote: View Post
    I really have to speak out against the "don't have the personnel to be a passing team" thing Casey is quoted saying.

    We don't have any "black hole" players on the roster ala JR Smith. Ross, Patterson, JJ, Amir have all been great passers within the system and all move the ball very quick. Even JV busts out a nice pass when he is in a position to do so.

    Of the ISO guards, Lou is at his lowest AST% of his career (11.1% vs +20% career), Vasquez is near his rookie numbers, and is at the second lowest percentage of his career, DD has massively regressed after a great summer where he was a facilitator for Team USA (18% vs 12% this season). Lowry seems to be the only guy who has showed an improvement in ball movement, but he kind of has to be. Also, these 4 players are the top 4 players in USG%, bottom 4/5 in eFG%, 2 are the worst in TS%, the top 4 in most amount of shots made that are unassisted. That combination of stats is horrifying.

    Concerning our roster, we can easily play a style similar to the ATL Hawks.



    +1
    Actually, Lowry's AST% is inflated because his USG% is at a career high, so he's got the ball in his hands more. By default, he should be setting up teammates more, and fortunately, he is. This is what is even more alarming about Lou, Vaz and DD. Those guys are all at or near career high USG% and their AST% totals are going down, and in some cases, dramatically.

    Comment


    • #47
      golden wrote: View Post
      Actually, Lowry's AST% is inflated because his USG% is at a career high, so he's got the ball in his hands more. By default, he should be setting up teammates more, and fortunately, he is. This is what is even more alarming about Lou, Vaz and DD. Those guys are all at or near career high USG% and their AST% totals are going down, and in some cases, dramatically.
      This is what you just did to me:



      But on a serious note, well I was serious above too, but anyways.... that is alarming. It really is. And it only confirms what I and a number of others have been posting about since the season began. Some things have to give or change.

      Comment


      • #48
        OldSkoolCool wrote: View Post
        I really have to speak out against the "don't have the personnel to be a passing team" thing Casey is quoted saying.

        We don't have any "black hole" players on the roster ala JR Smith. Ross, Patterson, JJ, Amir have all been great passers within the system and all move the ball very quick. Even JV busts out a nice pass when he is in a position to do so.

        Of the ISO guards, Lou is at his lowest AST% of his career (11.1% vs +20% career), Vasquez is near his rookie numbers, and is at the second lowest percentage of his career, DD has massively regressed after a great summer where he was a facilitator for Team USA (18% vs 12% this season). Lowry seems to be the only guy who has showed an improvement in ball movement, but he kind of has to be. Also, these 4 players are the top 4 players in USG%, bottom 4/5 in eFG%, 2 are the worst in TS%, the top 4 in most amount of shots made that are unassisted. That combination of stats is horrifying.

        Concerning our roster, we can easily play a style similar to the ATL Hawks.



        +1
        I think the larger issue is lack of 3 point shooting. Of starters (w/ or w/o DD) Ross and Lowry are the only capable 3 pt shooters. That is a problem when you consider that the Hawks play 4-5 guys who can all knock down 3s.

        If I were Ross tho, I would look to sign with Atlanta as a free agent, it would be good for both sides. It's still a long way off tho.

        Comment


        • #49
          DogeLover1234 wrote: View Post
          I think the larger issue is lack of 3 point shooting. Of starters (w/ or w/o DD) Ross and Lowry are the only capable 3 pt shooters. That is a problem when you consider that the Hawks play 4-5 guys who can all knock down 3s.

          If I were Ross tho, I would look to sign with Atlanta as a free agent, it would be good for both sides. It's still a long way off tho.
          Haha I find this incredibly funny. I suggested we needed more 3 point shooting in the form of Anthony Morrow in the "Sleeper Targets" thread and got absolutely flamed. Was told we were a lead leader in makes, 1st in the east, winning anyways...etc etc.

          But it is true. The only two true three point threats we have on the roster are Ross and Patterson, and they are delegated to at most a minimalistic role in the offense. yay

          Comment


          • #50
            OldSkoolCool wrote: View Post
            Haha I find this incredibly funny. I suggested we needed more 3 point shooting in the form of Anthony Morrow in the "Sleeper Targets" thread and got absolutely flamed. Was told we were a lead leader in makes, 1st in the east, winning anyways...etc etc.

            But it is true. The only two true three point threats we have on the roster are Ross and Patterson, and they are delegated to at most a minimalistic role in the offense. yay
            But but but.....

            Casey said that is ok.

            The offense is geared around the referees sending the raptors to the ft line.

            That is what the analytics geeks fail to grasp.

            So every game Raps are guaranteed to be 8on5 vs opponent.

            Nothing to see here. Move along folks.

            Comment


            • #51
              Scraptor wrote: View Post
              I'm seeing a lot of baby steps posts, but I think we need to actually evaluate what those baby steps are.

              To me, baby steps should involve a progression of our core players.

              Val is STILL not playing fourth quarters. Ross's TS% is down and he doesn't seem to be advancing. Our defense has seriously regressed.

              Lou Williams is taking the third most shots on the team, and he's an expiring. Is his contribution a baby step, or is it relatively unimportant in the larger scheme of things? Are we willing to re-sign him to another deal? Or will that end up like Greivis's deal, a short-term deal for someone who helped with recent success but is not a fundamental game-changer?

              James Johnson has played very well but even he seems frustrated at getting passed over for the likes of Vasquez and Fields.

              The issue with re-signing Casey is that time is passing and we aren't learning anything new about this team and its ceiling. Kyle is slightly better but he and DeMar (and Amir) are essentially at their ceiling.

              I like Masai and his argument for patience but there is also a fine line between patience and wasting time. If we have another early playoff exit, what will we point to as our baby steps that we accomplished?
              It's a fine line. I think someone said it here, but would you rather win games or "progress" the core players? JV has been a disappointment this year. For the most part I think the benching has been justified. Same with Ross. Yeah Lou has been shooting a lot and sure he's probably not going to be here next year, but straight up, dudes won some games for us.

              I do agree JJ should be playing more though.
              Eh follow my TWITTER!

              Comment


              • #52
                Employee wrote: View Post
                It's a fine line. I think someone said it here, but would you rather win games or "progress" the core players? JV has been a disappointment this year. For the most part I think the benching has been justified. Same with Ross. Yeah Lou has been shooting a lot and sure he's probably not going to be here next year, but straight up, dudes won some games for us.

                I do agree JJ should be playing more though.
                how he didn't start those games against the cavs and knicks is beyond me.

                Comment


                • #53
                  tDotted wrote: View Post
                  how he didn't start those games against the cavs and knicks is beyond me.
                  Can't upset that bench chemistry. It's not about playing your 7-8 best players as much as possible and figuring out a rotation that works. It's all about keeping that 5-man hockey style 2nd line together. This factors into Casey's rationale, I'm guessing, sadly.

                  Comment


                  • #54
                    golden wrote: View Post
                    Can't upset that bench chemistry. It's not about playing your 7-8 best players as much as possible and figuring out a rotation that works. It's all about keeping that 5-man hockey style 2nd line together. This factors into Casey's rationale, I'm guessing, sadly.
                    true, but when you have a guy like JJ on your roster, you'd think he'd start against the best SF's in the league. he's getting paid to match up against those types of guys.

                    Comment


                    • #55
                      tDotted wrote: View Post
                      true, but when you have a guy like JJ on your roster, you'd think he'd start against the best SF's in the league. he's getting paid to match up against those types of guys.
                      Golden was being sarcastic

                      Comment


                      • #56
                        To answer the OP:

                        It depends on how you define chemistry. To me, it's more than just guys liking each other. Chemistry is every player, coach, and manager buying into a system and accepting there roles on the team. One bad player that doesn't buy into their role can really junk up a team and make everyone else's job's harder. It doesn't matter how talented the team is. The Lakers, last year's Timberwolves, the Piston's with Josh Smith, and the Cavs are perfect examples of this.

                        So if you define chemistry like this, the answer is no. Chemistry isn't optional, it's a prerequisite for a good team. I'm not saying the roster (or coaching) couldn't use some serious upgrades, but I wouldn't under-value it, either.

                        I think we have all been in situations in our lives, whether at work, playing sports, or even with family, where even one sourpuss, jackass, or incompetent boob kills the efficiency or effectiveness of what everyone else is trying to do.

                        Comment


                        • #57
                          Chemistry depends on winning. When the lakers were winning Kobe was intense and competitive, when they lose he's a selfish chucking asshole

                          Comment


                          • #58
                            raptors999 wrote: View Post
                            Chemistry depends on winning. When the lakers were winning Kobe was intense and competitive, when they lose he's a selfish chucking asshole
                            he was always a selfish chucking asshole but winning makes that ok. same as he is still intense and competitive but losing makes that useless

                            Comment


                            • #59
                              "The Raptors are an offensive powerhouse with a leaky defense in the weaker conference. They have to decide what that means — how far they could go, whether they would be anything more than sacrificial roadkill in the Finals, and how much they might pay to find out. " Zach Lowe http://grantland.com/the-triangle/th...s-master-plan/

                              Comment


                              • #60
                                Toronto as an offensive powerhouse is wrong. Offense can be padded by bench scoring but defense can't. Stats show a high scoring offense but in reality Toronto lacks true effective scoring options. They don't have go to plays that result in easy buckets which most elite teams have.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X