Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did we invest too much in Chemistry and Growth.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did we invest too much in Chemistry and Growth.

Our offseason was basically an investment into the players that got us into the playoffs, which came as a total surprise (making the playoffs) based on the Rudy Gay Trade. It was the right thing to do to some extent , it also meant we would not have much room financially. Our 2,3 and 4 spots since Demars injury have produced very very little. I think last night vs Charlotte the stats of our wings vs their wings were +50 ( I may be wrong). Lowry is burnt out and we all saw this coming by the way he was carrying the load. Even when Demar comes back our 3 and 4 spots still have give us no production especially in the starting lineup. We knew this before the season started and Masai and his team chose not to strongly address this and our eggs were placed in the Chemistry and Youth Development basket. Was this the correct decision? Its not time to push the panic button, but the question could be asked how far can we go with Chemistry and Youth Development as our main focus ..

raptorredy wrote: View Post
    Our offseason was basically an investment into the players that got us into the playoffs, which came as a total surprise (making the playoffs) based on the Rudy Gay Trade. It was the right thing to do to some extent , it also meant we would not have much room financially. Our 2,3 and 4 spots since Demars injury have produced very very little. I think last night vs Charlotte the stats of our wings vs their wings were +50 ( I may be wrong). Lowry is burnt out and we all saw this coming by the way he was carrying the load. Even when Demar comes back our 3 and 4 spots still have give us no production especially in the starting lineup. We knew this before the season started and Masai and his team chose not to strongly address this and our eggs were placed in the Chemistry and Youth Development basket. Was this the correct decision? Its not time to push the panic button, but the question could be asked how far can we go with Chemistry and Youth Development as our main focus ..
    It was the correct decision.

Team is still young with talented pieces.

The players retained this summer, outside Lowry, are short term contracts and easily moved.

I'm not on the fire Casey bandwagon (yet) but he is only confirming and proving my stepping stone opinion.

Comment

I don't consider it much of an "investment" since none of the summer signings were crippling contracts. Just maintaining the status quo.

If management's goal is indeed to be players in the much ballyhooed summer of 2016, then we're fine for now. We weren't supposed to be the best team in the East this year, and I'm not sure management needs to do anything to change that this early in the evolution of the roster. We're still a lock for home court advantage in the 1st round.

A few tweaks here and there wouldn't hurt, but I don't think a reactionary move to the current losing streak would bode well.

Comment

I think ISO ball is slowly killing the team chemistry and de-motivating some guys. Especially when it's the coach advocating this kind of selfish play that makes some players look like all-stars and turns the other guys into role players who just do the dirty work.

All well and good when you're winning, but it makes it real easy to point fingers and have resentment when you're losing. Yes, these guys are supposed to be professionals, but they are people too. With egos and families to take care of. Think about Jonas, for example, playing towards his next contract, watching Lou jack up brick after brick in a contract year.

Many said the style of play wasn't sustainable and easy to counter and that's what we're seeing. Teams have adjusted to what the Raps are doing, now it's Casey's turn to "adapt or perish".

Comment

golden wrote: View Post
          I think ISO ball is slowly killing the team chemistry and de-motivating some guys. Especially when it's the coach advocating this kind of selfish play that makes some players look like all-stars and turns the other guys into role players who just do the dirty work.

All well and good when you're winning, but it makes it real easy to point fingers and have resentment when you're losing. Yes, these guys are supposed to be professionals, but they are people too. With egos and families to take care of. Think about Jonas, for example, playing towards his next contract, watching Lou jack up brick after brick in a contract year.

Many said the style of play wasn't sustainable and easy to counter and that's what we're seeing. Teams have adjusted to what the Raps are doing, now it's Casey's turn to "adapt or perish".
          Whoot - there it is

Comment

Lots of things to discuss, but overall this team is right about where it should be this season. Most non-Raptors fans had TO pegged as the 4th best team in the East before the season started. They may end up there yet.

A nice hot start is not that unusual. DeMar is still out. Casey has to adjust both for opp. gameplan and for defensive shortcomings. 82 games is a long season, this team is young, the roster still has good flexibility, and Ujiri is still a god among men. I'm not worried big-picture at all.

Shite defense and bad losses sure piss me off, though.
            "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

S.R. wrote: View Post
              Lots of things to discuss, but overall this team is right about where it should be this season. Most non-Raptors fans had TO pegged as the 4th best team in the East before the season started. They may end up there yet.

A nice hot start is not that unusual. DeMar is still out. Casey has to adjust both for opp. gameplan and for defensive shortcomings. 82 games is a long season, this team is young, the roster still has good flexibility, and Ujiri is still a god among men. I'm not worried big-picture at all.

Shite defense and bad losses sure piss me off, though.
              They'll win at least fourth by default because of the Atlantic. New player come in and play smart basketball Casey then converts therm to dumb ones. Happened to Gay is happening to the Kings players.

Comment

Do we really know that Casey really advocates iso-balling? I am not a Casey fan but this narrative has taken on mythical surety without any substance other than certain players are going off the reservation regarding sharing/passing the ball. James J. hinted this in a tweet last week. What Casey can be found guilty of ...is not reining in the type of play.

I would raise another (very uncomfortable) reality...Lowry has lost balance in his responsibilities as the point guard of the team. Too much shot taking and not enough facilitating. Apart from losing his shot this then propagates the iso nature in other players who tend to be prone in that direction (Lou and possibly GV who is competing with him for mins.). We miss DD's Fts/fouls drawn.

On the positive (hah)...what we are witnessing is what happens when just 1 good player is lost to the starting rotation for a period of time and the cascading effects of replacement (from the backup unit). No doubt KL seems to feel a need to makeup but needs to dial back. Good thing DD is due back soon ...will test this theory soon enough. I will just say that Ross hasnt grabbed the opportunity and JV has well just been static at best.

Comment

Also, Ujiri showed in Denver that he's fully capable of pulling the trigger and shipping out his own big signings (Nene). I'm not worried about any Colangelo/Bargnani dynamic. Masai will trade anybody if it will improve the team.
                  "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

S.R. wrote: View Post
                    Also, Ujiri showed in Denver that he's fully capable of pulling the trigger and shipping out his own big signings (Nene). I'm not worried about any Colangelo/Bargnani dynamic. Masai will trade anybody if it will improve the team.
                    Nene was a bust signing that they traded because of buyers remorse. He was fat and injured. MU trading isn't the issue but his asset accumulation. He is the opposite of Morey who is a guy that will trade anybody. I like MU but he is a bit of a pack rat GM.

Comment

Bendit wrote: View Post
                      Do we really know that Casey really advocates iso-balling? I am not a Casey fan but this narrative has taken on mythical surety without any substance other than certain players are going off the reservation regarding sharing/passing the ball. James J. hinted this in a tweet last week. What Casey can be found guilty of ...is not reining in the type of play.
                      Yes. We DO know for surety that Casey advocates ISO-balling. In the words of the man himself, last week....

Despite the low assist rate, are you happy with the way the ball is moving?
                      DC: Yeah. It’s moving. Every once in a while we’ll get stuck. In situations where defences keep us on one side of the floor, we’ve got to move it to other side. When we first started, you would say, ‘OK, there’s too much one-on-one.’ But it’s what they do. That’s what Lou Williams does. That’s what Kyle [Lowry] does. That’s what DeMar [DeRozan’s] going to do when he comes back. The only guy that’s really a catch and shooter is Terrence [Ross]. James Johnson is a back down, back down scorer. [Jonas Valanciunas is the same way] in the post. Pat [Patterson] can catch and shoot, but now teams are running him off the three-point line, and he has to take a dribble or two. As long as our turnover rate stays down, we can live with fewer assists.
                      Full article here. And nothing taken out of context, either. It ain't no myth.

http://news.nationalpost.com/2015/01...s-curse-words/

Comment

golden wrote: View Post
                        Yes. We DO know for surety that Casey advocates ISO-balling. In the words of the man himself, last week....

Full article here. And nothing taken out of context, either. It ain't no myth.

http://news.nationalpost.com/2015/01...s-curse-words/
                        It is bad basketball.

I'm a huge raptors fan but I find it tough to follow something that frustrates so much.

I might not be an NBA coach but I have been around enough and played enough to know good basketball when I see it. For the majority of this year I still haven't found what I'm looking for.

Comment

mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
                          It is bad basketball.

I'm a huge raptors fan but I find it tough to follow something that frustrates so much.

I might not be an NBA coach but I have been around enough and played enough to know good basketball when I see it. For the majority of this year I still haven't found what I'm looking for.
                          But, we are 24-11

Comment

Jangles wrote: View Post
                            But, we are 24-11
                            The record has nothing to do with quality of play.

You can win playing bad basketball - see the Raptors. It is just The loses just look even worse.

I wonder if casey adapts? If history is any indication I say no

Comment

mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
                              It is bad basketball.

The scary thing is when the reporter asks Casey if he is happy with the way the ball is moving and DC says: "Yeah. It's moving." Casey is happy with that? WTF is he watching? What are Bayno, Nurse and Sterner doing?

Comment

Working...
                              X