Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did we invest too much in Chemistry and Growth.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
    The record has nothing to do with quality of play.

You can win playing bad basketball - see the Raptors. It is just The loses just look even worse.

I wonder if casey adapts? If history is any indication I say no
    Bad joke on my part. I agree with you.

Comment

Is it too late to tank for Wiggins?

Comment

golden wrote: View Post
        The scary thing is when the reporter asks Casey if he is happy with the way the ball is moving and DC says: "Yeah. It's moving." Casey is happy with that? WTF is he watching? What are Bayno, Nurse and Sterner doing?
        I'm pretty sure Casey spends as little time possible working on and worrying about offence.

I remember a press conference really early in the season...A reporter asked him a question about Jonas getting touches. Casey (paraphrasing) answered along the lines of "I'm not worried about touches. He's gotta take care of the defensive end. If he does what he's supposed to do there, the basketball gods...the offence will take care of itself"...Now, I'm clearly paraphrasing (except he did actually break out the "basketball gods" line in reference to offence), but doesn't that sound completely fucking stupid? Ignoring that it's about Jonas, doesn't that just make you have no confidence in his ability to build an offence? He's the fucking coach. He's supposed to figure out how to utilize his players to maximize their talents. Not leave shit up to the "basketball gods".

**Don't think I can really blame the assistants for anything. Not sure any input they give about the O is taken seriously by Casey.

Comment

golden wrote: View Post
          Yes. We DO know for surety that Casey advocates ISO-balling. In the words of the man himself, last week....

Full article here. And nothing taken out of context, either. It ain't no myth.

http://news.nationalpost.com/2015/01...s-curse-words/
          Thanks. I hadn't seen that piece. In fairness though there seemed to be at least one caveat there just above your first bold where he may have been referencing one-on-one/iso play on the part of the 3 players because of defences restricting the ball to one side of the court. What is more telling in my view however is his opinion of the team's skillset in general... here (same article):

Did you ever think that: a) your offence could be so good; and b) it could be so good despite the lowest assist rate in the league?

DC: I think it’s personnel driven. Our guys are not great passers. We’re more one-on-one scorers and … more catch, dribble and shoot than catch and shoot, which doesn’t lend itself to a lot of assists. Everybody is taking a dribble, which takes away the assists. But guys are making shots, which means they’re taking advantage of situations a lot in transition to make plays [from mismatches]. I do know our assist rate is down, but our turnover rate is also down, also. [Note: the Raptors have the second-lowest turnover ratio in the league.]
          I am surprised about that. I have seen some pretty good games & plays where the ball moved great and the assist rate in the 20 range +. Other than JV & Ross that statement I cannot go alongwith and is disappointing really if that is what the head coach thinks. Someone should ask Masai that question.

Comment

All I have to say is mcHAPPY was COMPLETELY right. I now agree that Dwane Casey needs to be a stepping stone and I always agreed that our ISO offense was going to get figured out and shut down real quick. I just hoped our defense would save us since Casey is supposed to be a "defensive" coach. But that has been figured out too. So as mcHAPPY and many others have said, the ball is in Casey's court now and it's either he makes a change or its over. Because we definitely have the personnel to be a good team in the East. The personnel to me right now is not the problem. They just aren't being used correctly at all and that's on Casey.
            I relish negativity and disappointment. It is not healthy. Somebody buy me a pony.

Comment

GLF wrote: View Post
              Because we definitely have the personnel to be a good team in the East. The personnel to me right now is not the problem. They just aren't being used correctly at all and that's on Casey.
              I have been tough on Casey, but Casey isn't the only issue here.

We have the personnel to be a good team in the East--which we are--but that is not the same as a great team in the NBA. If our sights are set on a championship, we need major talent infusions.

Fortunately we have a lot of dead weight that is expiring, and how that financial flexibility is used will tell us Masai's vision for the future.

Comment

yeah being Good in the East is not exactly flattering.
                Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

Scraptor wrote: View Post

We have the personnel to be a good team in the East--which we are--but that is not the same as a great team in the NBA. If our sights are set on a championship, we need major talent infusions.

Fortunately we have a lot of dead weight that is expiring, and how that financial flexibility is used will tell us Masai's vision for the future.
                  Small steps.

A little over a year ago the team was league doormat.

I think the team is about as far as they can go under Casey.....but unless things keep going like they are of very late, then I'd give him the year.

Comment

Scraptor wrote: View Post

That's true but right now like at this current moment we aren't good in the East. The record says so, but we aren't beating any good to decent teams anytime soon with the way we have been playing that's for sure.
                    I relish negativity and disappointment. It is not healthy. Somebody buy me a pony.

Comment

Problem is Raptors are playing like a tank team and those habit are hard to break.

Comment

If Masai truly thinks Casey is right for the team (at least for now) and Casey feels the team lacks players with ball movement abilities, then the obvious answer is that you let Lou go (or s&t him, as I don't think Masai will trade him now - though we never know) and sign someone who can move the ball (preferably a wing who can also shoot. Point is, if te personnel isn't right for good, SUSTAINABLE offense, then simply put, we need to change the personnel.
                        A key that opens many locks is a master key, but a lock that gets open by many keys is just a shitty lock

Comment

e_wheazhy_ wrote: View Post
                          If Masai truly thinks Casey is right for the team (at least for now) and Casey feels the team lacks players with ball movement abilities, then the obvious answer is that you let Lou go (or s&t him, as I don't think Masai will trade him now - though we never know) and sign someone who can move the ball (preferably a wing who can also shoot. Point is, if te personnel isn't right for good, SUSTAINABLE offense, then simply put, we need to change the personnel.
                          Gay could pass and he became a chucker. Evan Nash would end up chucking. Calderon at least dribbled for a long time.

Comment

raptors999 wrote: View Post
                            Gay could pass and he became a chucker. Evan Nash would end up chucking. Calderon at least dribbled for a long time.
                            Yeah but at least when he did chuck there wasn't as much time left on the clock...

Honestly someone else already suggested it but Tom Sterner has an impressive resume and some good ideas about offense. Nick Nurses offense was also pretty powerful in the d league...
                            A key that opens many locks is a master key, but a lock that gets open by many keys is just a shitty lock

Comment

MU will never answer that verbally (at least not without a hedge). He cannot diminish the coach nor the player/s because that devalues them. So, we have to wait for any tangible action (trade) which should indicate how MU really feels about this period. I suspect he shall wait for a while yet until DD has a few games in to see how/if the team reacts/reverses to the better version.

Comment

Yeah but at least when he did chuck there wasn't as much time left on the clock...

Honestly someone else already suggested it but Tom Sterner has an impressive resume and some good ideas about offense. Nick Nurses offense was also pretty powerful in the d league...
                                Nick Nurse would at least be able to get three pointer shooter open and shots. All three assistants look like they were brought in to eventually replace Casey but then the winning happened.

Comment

Working...
                                X