Everything Trade Deadline 2023

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Everything Trade Deadline 2023

We are less than 4 weeks until the deadline. Feel free to post all your Raptors scenarios and league transactions here for discussion.

While I have been hoping for the team to turn things around, the loss to Atlanta has finally burst my bubble. I have come to the realization that we need to move a top 5 guy and start a quick retool.

I have been spending time trying to find the right trade for FVV as I feel he is the one I feel the best about losing. There is no guarantee that we re-sign Trent either, but Fred being moved can open some things up.

The best, and realistic, I can come up with is FVV to Chicago for Lonzo Ball. Why? Chicago adds a player with playoff experience to a roster that could easily climb from 10th to 7th. Toronto gets a guy they can sit out for the remainder of the year as he rehabs and then has a year with the club to see his fit. Sitting him out also allows us to see Scottie with some more playmaking responsibilities. I don't believe he is our future point guard, but he can continue to develop skills. Also Koloko and Banton can see increased minutes all while securing a lottery pick.

Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Odds of nothing significant happening beyond window dressing 90%
    Odds of moving GTJr 40%
    Odds of zero happening "tried but couldn't find the right trading partner" 30%
    Odds of moving FVV 20%
    Odds of a giant earth shattering shakeup 0%

The 20% odds is what the team needs. Something for a young player, prospect and picks.

Comment

WJF wrote: View Post
      We are less than 4 weeks until the deadline. Feel free to post all your Raptors scenarios and league transactions here for discussion.

While I have been hoping for the team to turn things around, the loss to Atlanta has finally burst my bubble. I have come to the realization that we need to move a top 5 guy and start a quick retool.

I have been spending time trying to find the right trade for FVV as I feel he is the one I feel the best about losing. There is no guarantee that we re-sign Trent either, but Fred being moved can open some things up.

The best, and realistic, I can come up with is FVV to Chicago for Lonzo Ball. Why? Chicago adds a player with playoff experience to a roster that could easily climb from 10th to 7th. Toronto gets a guy they can sit out for the remainder of the year as he rehabs and then has a year with the club to see his fit. Sitting him out also allows us to see Scottie with some more playmaking responsibilities. I don't believe he is our future point guard, but he can continue to develop skills. Also Koloko and Banton can see increased minutes all while securing a lottery pick.
      I'm afraid the "quick retool" might be what got us here.

Instead of a full rebuild where we could take time developing players we went the quick retool route and did our best to compete at a high level right away. That effort, with gaping holes in the roster, has resulted in one of our best point of attack defenders and shooters getting injured. Not taking the time to properly rebuild the roster has placed added strain on the starters who are already under the pressure of a physically demanding system.

I'm with you that a big change might be needed, whether that is to the roster or system they are utilizing.

Comment

WJF wrote: View Post

Utah trade:
        VanVleet/ Birch/ Precious
        for
        Lauri Markannen/ Olynyk

Orlando trade:
        VanVleet
        for
        Bamba/ Cole Anthony/ Harris

Chicago Trade:
        VanVleet/ Flynn/ Birch
        for
        Caruso/ Patrick Williams/ White

Dallas Trade
        VanVleet/Birch/Flynn
        for
        Bertans/Powell/Green

lets go

Comment

I'll just repost here what I've mentioned in some other threads.

Trent to the Knicks for a 1st and Grimes and Rose

Fred to the Bulls for Ball and a future 1st

Teams I'd suggest others look at when proposing trades would be NYK, Chicago, Phoenix, Atlanta, Golden State, Dallas, Portland, Philly, Brooklyn, New Orleans.

Comment

LJ2 wrote: View Post

I'm afraid the "quick retool" might be what got us here.

Instead of a full rebuild where we could take time developing players we went the quick retool route and did our best to compete at a high level right away. That effort, with gaping holes in the roster, has resulted in one of our best point of attack defenders and shooters getting injured. Not taking the time to properly rebuild the roster has placed added strain on the starters who are already under the pressure of a physically demanding system.

I'm with you that a big change might be needed, whether that is to the roster or system they are utilizing.
            If you want to know what a "quick retool" looks like, basically look at the Spurs after Kawhi left. They tried to quickly re-build around their leftover "champions" - Patty Mills (Fred) and DeRozan (Pascal) and some useful young pieces Derrick White (OG) and DeJounte Murray (Scottie). They tread-milled for a few years until DeMar left (S&T), but they eventually had to do a full tear-down.

Now, the Spurs had a good reason to keep winning games, i.e., to get Pop the coaching record, which is kind of a franchise record, since he's done it all with them. They also picked a great draft year to try and bottom out.

Comment

Fred has helped us lose a bunch of games. Trading him could backfire in the sense that if we're looking for us to drop in the standings, it might do the opposite. AKA the Rudy Gay effect.

But I've been on here saying that I don't think Fred gets traded. I think they revisit that in the off season.. it's hard to make big trades at the deadline. Too many teams in contention with the play-in. Nobody is going to bottom out (except for maybe us lol). So not enough buyers for our big sellers. And Masai isn't going to trade guys for the sake of it.

But I think they would look at trading guys like Gary, Thad, Chris, Birch and possibly Flynn. The "other guys" are probably all available.

Gary's been talked about a lot. But I think if we looked hard enough we could get a late first round pick for Chris. Chris would be super valuable to a contender. He's that 8th/9th man hustle big that can come in for 10 minutes and swing a game for you. And his contract isn't that bad.

Comment

Primer wrote: View Post
                I'll just repost here what I've mentioned in some other threads.

Trent to the Knicks for a 1st and Grimes and Rose

Fred to the Bulls for Ball and a future 1st

Teams I'd suggest others look at when proposing trades would be NYK, Chicago, Phoenix, Atlanta, Golden State, Dallas, Portland, Philly, Brooklyn, New Orleans.
                Other than trying to squeeze out a few more picks and young prospects... I'll be very disappointed if some variation of the above doesn't happen.

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post
                  Fred has helped us lose a bunch of games. Trading him could backfire in the sense that if we're looking for us to drop in the standings, it might do the opposite. AKA the Rudy Gay effect.

But I've been on here saying that I don't think Fred gets traded. I think they revisit that in the off season.. it's hard to make big trades at the deadline. Too many teams in contention with the play-in. Nobody is going to bottom out (except for maybe us lol). So not enough buyers for our big sellers. And Masai isn't going to trade guys for the sake of it.

But I think they would look at trading guys like Gary, Thad, Chris, Birch and possibly Flynn. The "other guys" are probably all available.

Gary's been talked about a lot. But I think if we looked hard enough we could get a late first round pick for Chris. Chris would be super valuable to a contender. He's that 8th/9th man hustle big that can come in for 10 minutes and swing a game for you. And his contract isn't that bad.

You can't truly "re-visit" trading Fred in the off-season.... at least not with the same leverage. If Fred opts out, then he (and his chosen team) hold more cards in an off-season S&T scenario. Also, you don't know if it will be a sellers market in the off-season, like the un-precedented parity we're seeing this year in the NBA. And then there's Fred's health and performance, and also... what if he opts in?

Too many variables at play with Fred, so I'd want another team that covets him to deal with all that, rather than us.

Comment

golden wrote: View Post

You can't truly "re-visit" trading Fred in the off-season.... at least not with the same leverage. If Fred opts out, then he (and his chosen team) hold more cards in an off-season S&T scenario. Also, you don't know if it will be a sellers market in the off-season, like the un-precedented parity we're seeing this year in the NBA. And then there's Fred's health and performance, and also... what if he opts in?

Too many variables at play with Fred, so I'd want another team that covets him to deal with all that, rather than us.
                    This all applies to Trent too. If we want max return we need to deal them now. The stuff available in the off-season would be more like the Lowry deal. Eat a shitty contract and get a so so prospect back for your troubles.

Comment

golden wrote: View Post

So he holds the cards with the S&T? Let him. I mean no team is going to trade him for a half season and watch him walk when he's making over $20M. They'll want some reassurance that he'll stay. A S&T guarantees he will stay. And if he opts in, then a team gets him for a whole year. A guy who opts in can still be traded.

Comment

This all applies to Trent too. If we want max return we need to deal them now. The stuff available in the off-season would be more like the Lowry deal. Eat a shitty contract and get a so so prospect back for your troubles.
                        Basically the same type of deal you get at the deadline. Let's be real here.

Comment

I saw some Heat fans propose a trade of Lowry and a 1st for Fred.

Not the sexiest deal but I think Lowry would be a great mentor to our young guys and an asset to Nurse is getting the team playing hard again.

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post

Basically the same type of deal you get at the deadline. Let's be real here.
                            Being real is realizing that returns are better at the deadline when teams are making a championship push. Wanna win the title? You need to meet our trade demands. There are a dozen teams who think they can win it all this season. It's a unprecedented sellers market with lots of buyers and very few sellers.

Comment

I saw some Heat fans propose a trade of Lowry and a 1st for Fred.

Not the sexiest deal but I think Lowry would be a great mentor to our young guys and an asset to Nurse is getting the team playing hard again.
                              I thought you wanted a good pick this year? Lowry > Fred.

Comment

Working...
                              X