No announcement yet.

Everything Trade Deadline 2023

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I bet we’re going to trade OG… and get a crazy return for him.

Comment

• The Claw Reborn wrote: View Post

Can the Clippers keep their 2023 pick if they finish the season ahead of OKC in the standings?
      The Clippers 2024 pick goes to OKC. You can't trade first round picks in consecutive years. That 2023 pick is only available after they select it in the draft. They can't trade it at the deadline.

Comment

• The only first round pick the Clippers can trade at the deadline is their 2028 first round pick.

Comment

• Mamba Mentality

Comment

Can the Clippers keep their 2023 pick if they finish the season ahead of OKC in the standings?
            the paul george trade was for shai, gallo, the clippers' 2022, 2024, 2026 picks, 2021 and 2023 picks from miami, and rights to swap in 2023 and 2025 (reminder of how preposterous this trade is).

like pm said, you can't trade firsts in consecutive years, so 2028 is the soonest they can trade one of their firsts (unless they've already traded it elsewhere, which wouldn't surprise me)

Comment

• the Clippers have a first-round pick in 2023, but it’s not guaranteed to be their own. As part of the Paul George trade, L.A. gave the Thunder the ability to swap first-rounders in 2023.
              The Claw Reborn wrote: View Post

planetmars wrote: View Post

The Clippers 2024 pick goes to OKC. You can't trade first round picks in consecutive years. That 2023 pick is only available after they select it in the draft. They can't trade it at the deadline.
              I only finished elementary school so my basketball IQ is like Khem Birch like….but I do earn my minutes in the forum once in awhile lol.

so follow up question: so basically OKC by owning that pick swap of the Clippers for 2023 can easily say no to a trade?

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
                The only first round pick the Clippers can trade at the deadline is their 2028 first round pick.
                Ignore my question above….I missed your post…..Thanks for clarifying and also found this too to verify…

Los Angeles Clippers: The Clippers owe all of their picks to the Thunder through 2026 thanks to the Paul George trade, so the earliest pick they could move would be 2028.

Comment

• VanVleet to Orlando then

simpler and more immediate gratification

Comment

• The Great One wrote: View Post
                    I bet if this guy leaves.. he will flourish, I would not trade him. Siakim,Fv, Trent Boucher..go ahead make an offer.
                    "Never apologize for coming to me. Office hours are for patients.
                    My kitchen is always open to friends"

Comment

• The Great One wrote: View Post
                      If its true that means his value is around there, which is great.

Comment

I only finished elementary school so my basketball IQ is like Khem Birch like….but I do earn my minutes in the forum once in awhile lol.

so follow up question: so basically OKC by owning that pick swap of the Clippers for 2023 can easily say no to a trade?
                        There is a CBA rule referred to as the Stepien rule (named after a former NBA GM named Ted Stepien). Ted was infamous for trading all his picks.. and creating problems for his team. So the CBA has a clause that prevents a team from not having first round picks in 2 consecutive years. The rule was created to protect teams from themselves.

So for example a team can trade a 2023 pick and a 2025 pick.. but they cannot trade a 2023 pick and a 2024 pick. Or a 2024 pick and a 2025 pick at the same time. Teams will throw in pick swaps to make the other year's picks a bit more generous to the team receiving them.. but at the end of the day they still get a pick.

So the Clippers do get a pick in 2023. They get the worse pick of theirs or OKC's. But they can't trade it because the 2024 pick is going to OKC flat out (without any protections). So if they trade that 2023 pick to Toronto.. they would be violating the Stepien rule.

On draft day however, the Clippers can trade their 2023 selection. They can make the selection for a different team, and then trade it. That's fair game. But at the deadline coming up, they cannot trade their 2023 or 2025 or 2027 picks even though they get to keep those and that's because OKC owns their 2024 and 2026 picks still.

It's also why when a team trades multiple picks for a player, they are likely not able to use picks in future trades. There are several teams that won't be able to trade picks for awhile. Like Cleveland, Minnesota and Atlanta most recently for sending multiple picks for Mitchell, Gobert and Murray.

Comment

• Dr Hannibal Lecter wrote: View Post

I bet if this guy leaves.. he will flourish, I would not trade him. Siakim,Fv, Trent Boucher..go ahead make an offer.
                          But what if you can get multiple guys/picks back who flourish more?

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post

There is a CBA rule referred to as the Stepien rule (named after a former NBA GM named Ted Stepien). Ted was infamous for trading all his picks.. and creating problems for his team. So the CBA has a clause that prevents a team from not having first round picks in 2 consecutive years. The rule was created to protect teams from themselves.

So for example a team can trade a 2023 pick and a 2025 pick.. but they cannot trade a 2023 pick and a 2024 pick. Or a 2024 pick and a 2025 pick at the same time. Teams will throw in pick swaps to make the other year's picks a bit more generous to the team receiving them.. but at the end of the day they still get a pick.

So the Clippers do get a pick in 2023. They get the worse pick of theirs or OKC's. But they can't trade it because the 2024 pick is going to OKC flat out (without any protections). So if they trade that 2023 pick to Toronto.. they would be violating the Stepien rule.

On draft day however, the Clippers can trade their 2023 selection. They can make the selection for a different team, and then trade it. That's fair game. But at the deadline coming up, they cannot trade their 2023 or 2025 or 2027 picks even though they get to keep those and that's because OKC owns their 2024 and 2026 picks still.

It's also why when a team trades multiple picks for a player, they are likely not able to use picks in future trades. There are several teams that won't be able to trade picks for awhile. Like Cleveland, Minnesota and Atlanta most recently for sending multiple picks for Mitchell, Gobert and Murray.
                            Thanks and to Chris too.

Comment

• slaw wrote: View Post
                              Just based on what I've heard from someone who regularly deals with Ujiri at MLSE, I predict there is less than zero chance (maybe -1500%) that the Raps will ever do a trade with the Clippers. Can't see it.
                              If it is a 2028 FRP, no thanks then.

Fuck Ballmer, not helping him at all.

Lets go with the Orlando deal

Comment

• That 3-pick offer for OG snippet came from Bruce Arthur. Is Arthur connected at all to anything NBA anymore? I remember him writing for the Globe and now he's working for the Star. Seems like he made that up, or got some bullsh!t from the Raptors to increase OG's market.

If there were 3 first round picks (no swaps) and players to make a trade work.. the deal would have been done already.

Comment

Working...
                                X