Game #49 - Raptors at Kings. Jan 25, 2023 @ 10:00pm EST

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LJ2 wrote: View Post

I have to watch the game still, but SAC shot 47.9% from the field and 40.6% from 3, so doesn't jump out as a great defensive game. Raps won this by imposing their game plan to create more possessions. They took 97 shots compared to SAC's 73 (ducking crazy!), which is a case for good defense of course.
    Yeah the defense created a lot of extra possessions for them. Sacramento was efficient but overall our defense drove them crazy. Definitely a game I'd recommend watching if you want to see good basketball. We haven't had a lot of that this season.

Comment

• Primer wrote: View Post

Huge chance we get nothing for them in the offseason.

For example, Orlando makes a big offer to Fred and LA makes a big offer to Trent. They both accept and no need for a sign and trade. We're left with nothing.

Way better to strike now in one of the best sellers markets in years where a dozen teams are interested in Fred and Gary for their playoff runs.
      Sometimes nothing is better than crap. I guess it depends on what teams are offering. If we get a contract with 2-3 years left on it and some shitty pick.. it might just be better to have them walk in free agency and get that cap space. We get about $30M in cap space if both walk.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post

Sometimes nothing is better than crap. I guess it depends on what teams are offering. If we get a contract with 2-3 years left on it and some shitty pick.. it might just be better to have them walk in free agency and get that cap space. We get about $30M in cap space if both walk.
        I've seen a lot of proposals and they are all returns I would take for Fred and Gary. Just going by what I'm seeing the time to move them is now.

Comment

• MixxAOR wrote: View Post
          8 man rotation...Nurse will do everything he can to bring this team back into playoffs
          Yep. Raps are already in playoff mode. And it was more like a 7 man rotation. Juancho get token minutes to satisfy HR diversity policies.

Comment

I have to watch the game still, but SAC shot 47.9% from the field and 40.6% from 3, so doesn't jump out as a great defensive game. Raps won this by imposing their game plan to create more possessions. They took 97 shots compared to SAC's 73 (ducking crazy!), which is a case for good defense of course.
            No, the defense was on point. It was the Raptor defense we were promised at the start of the season. They took one of the best offences in the NBA and basically shut it down (don't think the Kings have been under 100 all season) and took their two stars out of the game (Sabonis was a net negative for the Kings with all the bad turnovers).

Looking at both defense and offence over four quarters and given the opponent on the road, this was the best game Toronto has played all year.

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post

Yep. Raps are already in playoff mode. And it was more like a 7 man rotation. Juancho get token minutes to satisfy HR diversity policies.

Yeah, 7.5-man rotation. Back to the future....

I'm convinced the only reason Juancho is out there is they promised him/his agent playing time and that's why he signed. I can't see another bench guy producing at this levels who would keep getting thrown out there game after game.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post

Problem with letting them both walk is replacing them. Those two are a huge part of Toronto's production and largely responsible for all the space Pascal and Scottie see in the paint. $30M isn't that much when you're trying to replace two starters.

Comment

• slaw wrote: View Post

No, the defense was on point. It was the Raptor defense we were promised at the start of the season. They took one of the best offences in the NBA and basically shut it down (don't think the Kings have been under 100 all season) and took their two stars out of the game (Sabonis was a net negative for the Kings with all the bad turnovers).

Looking at both defense and offence over four quarters and given the opponent on the road, this was the best game Toronto has played all year.
                  The importance of Precious to this defense is becoming very apparent. It just works a lot better with him on the court. Nurses system needs several elite defenders, OG can't do it by himself.

Comment

• Primer wrote: View Post

The importance of Precious to this defense is becoming very apparent. It just works a lot better with him on the court. Nurses system needs several elite defenders, OG can't do it by himself.
                    That's cause Achiuwa can actually guard 1-5 and protect the paint and rebound. He is pretty much the ideal center for the Raps on both ends but needs to hone his skills and mature as a player.

Comment

Problem with letting them both walk is replacing them. Those two are a huge part of Toronto's production and largely responsible for all the space Pascal and Scottie see in the paint. $30M isn't that much when you're trying to replace two starters.
                      That's all true.. but its really about the return. We shouldn't make a trade if we're getting a bad return. Say some not great player with 2-3 years on his contract and a really late first round pick.

Our management is really bad at free agency so I'd prefer they not keep the space open either. I just think that its sometimes better to let a player walk then it would be to trade them and get a bad return.

Comment

I only watched the first quarter and they were closing off gaps and driving lanes like it was peak 2020. Rotating with machine like precision. And that was the starting lineup... before Precious got into the game. Like where TF has this been all year? Maybe the trade rumors have lit a fire under them. Who knows?

It's all about effort and attention to detail. Mostly effort. That's why Nurse blew a gasket and won't talk about effort anymore.

Comment

I only watched the first quarter and they were closing off gaps and driving lanes like it was peak 2020. Rotating with machine like precision. And that was the starting lineup... before Precious got into the game. Like where TF has this been all year? Maybe the trade rumors have lit a fire under them. Who knows?

It's all about effort and attention to detail. Mostly effort. That's why Nurse blew a gasket and won't talk about effort anymore.
                          You're starting to get it.
                          Mamba Mentality

Comment

They were playing with a real sense of urgency last night but it's hard to maintain that for an extended period of time. We'll see how sustainable it is over 7 games in 12 days.

Comment

• The Great One wrote: View Post

You're starting to get it.
                              They’re playing for contracts and stats. I said that months ago.

Comment

They were playing with a real sense of urgency last night but it's hard to maintain that for an extended period of time. We'll see how sustainable it is over 7 games in 12 days.
                                They've been following up good games with complete duds this season. Hopefully they've turned a corner and can start playing with some consistency.

Comment

Working...
                                X