Game #49 - Raptors at Kings. Jan 25, 2023 @ 10:00pm EST

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

planetmars wrote: View Post

Yeah.. if OG is ever moved it's not the end of the world since we have Precious on the team. Precious needs more offensive awareness, but it's not like OG is a world beater on offense either.

If we can get a haul for OG, I'm good to move on.
    If your identity is defense, which ours is, you want to keep OG and Precious.

The guys that are expendable are the ones who aren't great defenders, like Gary and Fred.

Comment

Primer wrote: View Post

The guys that are expendable are the ones who aren't great defenders, like Gary and Fred.
      This is about OG wanting out. If he wants out of here then we need to trade him before he becomes an expiring contract and leaves in free agency anyway. We can still hold the fort with Precious in his place.

As for Fred and Gary.. well sure. But Fred was a good defender before this year (and before his injury last year). He was fantastic last night so maybe he's getting healthier?

Comment

Shooters that are also great defenders are super rare.
        A good shooter and a somewhat ok defender like Gary is fine with me.
        Fred can take his talents elsewhere

Comment

This is about OG wanting out. If he wants out of here then we need to trade him before he becomes an expiring contract and leaves in free agency anyway. We can still hold the fort with Precious in his place.

As for Fred and Gary.. well sure. But Fred was a good defender before this year (and before his injury last year). He was fantastic last night so maybe he's getting healthier?
          OG is under contract next season, we don't need to move him at all. Plenty of time to repair that relationship if it actually is strained.

The rumors are he wants to do more on offense and that is easily solved by moving Fred and Gary, which will free up plenty of shots for OG.

Fred and Gary are also up for huge new contracts in the off-season. We have to make long term decisions on them right now.

I think Fred's style of play is making his body wear out prematurely. I'd expect his defense to continue to slide and would rather that be another team's problem.

Comment

OG is under contract next season, we don't need to move him at all. Plenty of time to repair that relationship if it actually is strained.

The rumors are he wants to do more on offense and that is easily solved by moving Fred and Gary, which will free up plenty of shots for OG.

Fred and Gary are also up for huge new contracts in the off-season. We have to make long term decisions on them right now.

I think Fred's style of play is making his body wear out prematurely. I'd expect his defense to continue to slide and would rather that be another team's problem.
            I don't want more shots for OG.. that will hurt our offense. He's not that good offensively. So if we're moving Fred and Gary then I hope we get someone that can produce more than OG. OG should always be at least the 4th man on this team. Maybe even the 5th.

Comment

And OG's value will be the highest right now. It might remain in the summer. But will go down hill after that. If we can't repair that damage, then we're just hurting ourselves. If Masai and Bobby get a great haul for him now, then I'm willing to move him for it.

Comment

I don't want more shots for OG.. that will hurt our offense. He's not that good offensively. So if we're moving Fred and Gary then I hope we get someone that can produce more than OG. OG should always be at least the 4th man on this team. Maybe even the 5th.
                Exactly.
                Mamba Mentality

Comment

No real reason to think OG wants out. And thankgoodness his 3-ball is ticking up to where it's supposed to be.

Comment

What I loved the most out of last night's game is that the refs didn't make it about themselves. Raps went to the line 7 times, the Kings only 13. It was a pretty smooth game.
                    No elite superstars to get every fake call....

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
                      And OG's value will be the highest right now. It might remain in the summer. But will go down hill after that. If we can't repair that damage, then we're just hurting ourselves. If Masai and Bobby get a great haul for him now, then I'm willing to move him for it.
                      Totally disagree with this line of thinking. OG is still getting better and can definitely handle more shots. Get a real PG who can find him in the corner and post and set him up for drives.

His value will not go down from here. It will continue to go up because he's getting better and still under contract next season at one of the best bargains in the entire NBA.

Scottie and OG play great together. Two unselfish guys that appear to be irked with Mr Selfish Van Vleet.

Are you pleased with Fred offensively? He's getting a ton of shots and has one of the worst FG% in the NBA. OG and Scottie both need more shots and less for Fred, which is easy to do if he's traded.

Make the rumored trade with the Clippers for Kennard, Mann, and Boston and a 2028 1st. Kennard and Mann give us a real bench that does somethings differently from the starters and they can both shoot.

Doesn't bring back a PG so let Scottie and Pascal handle it until the end of the season or try to get a PG back for Gary.
                      Last edited by Primer; Thu Jan 26, 2023, 01:03 PM.

Comment

• Primer wrote: View Post

Totally disagree with this line of thinking. OG is still getting better and can definitely handle more shots. Get a real PG who can find him in the corner and post and set him up for drives.

His value will not go down from here. It will continue to go up because he's getting better and still under contract next season at one of the best bargains in the entire NBA.

Scottie and OG play great together. Two unselfish guys that appear to be irked with Mr Selfish Van Vleet.

Are you pleased with Fred offensively? He's getting a ton of shots and has one of the worst FG% in the NBA. OG and Scottie both need more shots and less for Fred, which is easy to do if he's traded.
                        I want Fred traded as well.. but it's because he's 29 and one of the leaders of this mess of a team we have. His shot was broken this season and is a reason for his trash play (and our team's).. but he's getting a lot better now.. playing like he did in the first half of last year. If he maintains being a 38+% 3pt threat with high volume then he's a great player. We need a player like that on this team. Fred's usage is still modest though. It's not like he's carrying a 25% usage or higher.

But for OG, when a guy enters his last year of his contract the return is not going to be high no matter who that player is. Teams need guarantees that he will stay or you are trading for a rental. And he won't get an extension since he's on a good deal right now and extensions are based on your last contract.

That's why the best time to move Fred and Gary were last year.. not this year since they are now both considered rentals.

If OG stayed in his lane and was solely a 3&D threat, with the occasional post up or transition dunk he'd be great.. but a player like that isn't worth what he's going to ask for in free agency either.

Comment

I want Fred traded as well.. but it's because he's 29 and one of the leaders of this mess of a team we have. His shot was broken this season and is a reason for his trash play (and our team's).. but he's getting a lot better now.. playing like he did in the first half of last year. If he maintains being a 38+% 3pt threat with high volume then he's a great player. We need a player like that on this team. Fred's usage is still modest though. It's not like he's carrying a 25% usage or higher.

But for OG, when a guy enters his last year of his contract the return is not going to be high no matter who that player is. Teams need guarantees that he will stay or you are trading for a rental. And he won't get an extension since he's on a good deal right now and extensions are based on your last contract.

That's why the best time to move Fred and Gary were last year.. not this year since they are now both considered rentals.

If OG stayed in his lane and was solely a 3&D threat, with the occasional post up or transition dunk he'd be great.. but a player like that isn't worth what he's going to ask for in free agency either.
                          We can trade OG in the offseason and he's not a rental. No need to trade him right now.

Huge need to trade Fred and Gary right now. You're right it would have been better to move them in the off-season, but it's do or die right now. I don't want to pay either of those guys $30M per year over the next 4 years, which is what they'll both want. Fred may want even more than that.

OG is definitely worth what he's gonna ask for in free agency. One of the best defenders in the league. I know no one values that but I do.

Comment

Our defense was great. We held one of the best offensive teams in the league to 95 points. They average 120 (highest in the league). Sabonis had like a stretch of 25+ games with double doubles, and he had single digit points and rebounds. And he wasn't in any foul trouble or anything.

If you want to see the Raptors finally play a good defensive game, watch last night's game some how. Good defensive games from this squad have been few and far between this season.

Offense was okay. Still missed a lot of 3's (shot around 30%). Had some good ball movement at times. Pascal was great in the 3rd quarter. Got anything he wanted. Scottie did a good job leading the bench again. He finished with 10 assists.
                            I have to watch the game still, but SAC shot 47.9% from the field and 40.6% from 3, so doesn't jump out as a great defensive game. Raps won this by imposing their game plan to create more possessions. They took 97 shots compared to SAC's 73 (ducking crazy!), which is a case for good defense of course.

Comment

• Primer wrote: View Post

We can trade OG in the offseason and he's not a rental. No need to trade him right now.

Huge need to trade Fred and Gary right now. You're right it would have been better to move them in the off-season, but it's do or die right now. I don't want to pay either of those guys $30M per year over the next 4 years, which is what they'll both want. Fred may want even more than that.
                              I think they can get just as much in a S&T then they can at the deadline. Rosters aren't completely set in the summer.. where as during the deadline contenders have to be careful as to who they ship out. Plus more draft picks (or drafted players) become available as protections drop, etc.

I agree.. OG is a guy they can trade in the summer too. But if someone is offering a good young player + prime pick, I'm an OG seller.

Comment

I think they can get just as much in a S&T then they can at the deadline. Rosters aren't completely set in the summer.. where as during the deadline contenders have to be careful as to who they ship out. Plus more draft picks (or drafted players) become available as protections drop, etc.

I agree.. OG is a guy they can trade in the summer too. But if someone is offering a good young player + prime pick, I'm an OG seller.
                                Huge chance we get nothing for them in the offseason.

For example, Orlando makes a big offer to Fred and LA makes a big offer to Trent. They both accept and no need for a sign and trade. We're left with nothing.

Way better to strike now in one of the best sellers markets in years where a dozen teams are interested in Fred and Gary for their playoff runs.

I'd trade OG for the right package, but a guy like Sharpe does nothing for me, much rather keep OG.

Comment

Working...
                                X