Steve Nash as our next coach?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steve Nash as our next coach?

The league is trending towards new, younger coaches like Jason kidd, D Fish.

Why don't we take a chance on Nash as our next coach?

Casey is looking weak as a head coach. No system, stupid rotations and he's stubborn.

Rather than fire him now, let's replace him with Nash.

Nash has respect, is great and xs and os, is a leader and has extraordinary bball iq

He's from Canada and that would help convince him to work here.

Rather than sign a treadmill coach like mike woodson , let's try some new blood.

Sure.

Have at it. Unless you can get Pop

Comment

No. Steve Nash is already the GM of Team Canada. He's needed there more to help encourage guys like Wiggins to play for our country. Canada is an emerging basketball country who has potential to be competitive internationally. I'd rather have Steve Nash there.

Comment

2KJ wrote: View Post
        No. Steve Nash is already the GM of Team Canada. He's needed there more to help encourage guys like Wiggins to play for our country. Canada is an emerging basketball country who has potential to be competitive internationally. I'd rather have Steve Nash there.
        lol if steve nash can be a player in the nba and still be the GM of team canada, why cant he be a coach in the NBA and still be the GM of team canada??

Comment

Raptors need a complete system guy. Long time Basketball guys who understand development, strategy and systems. Guys like Pop and Thibs who have coached in college. I Like Steve Kerr but he looks like a Carlisle, good strategy guy but can't develop players since he never coached college.

Comment

No thanks.
            "Stay steamy"

- Kobe

Comment

I would like to see steve stay as gm of Canada basketball, Run the youth clinics to develop new talent in the country

Comment

I would have no issue with trying Nash if he were looking for a coaching position. He's one of those basketball leaders that was always pegged as a future coach - real cerebral player.

And the key to being a good defensive coach is to know offences inside out - including what can screw up those offences - something I would expect of Nash.

That said, obviously we have no idea how he would fare. But all the coaches you know would be great won't be available anyway, so either you grab guys that have flamed out elsewhere or try someone new, whether it is a college guy like Ollie or an NBA lifer like Nash, or an assistant like Nurse. Either way, no guarantees.
                twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

My guess is Nash pursues his Hollywood interests and this is a moot discussion.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/kurtbade...er-steve-nash/

Comment

I'd rather he have some coaching experience, but as Dan said, Nash was a real cerebral player, understands the game better than probably almost everyone. I'd try him if he'd come for sure.

Comment

I don't know, I've started to hate Steve Nash this year just because he's apparently been AWOL for the Lakers. He hasn't returned Byron Scott's phone calls and is hanging out in Miami and Argentina on football trips, that's being a terrible teammate.

Comment

Nope. I'd rather go after someone with reputable experience.

Comment

I don't think it's a terrible idea, but I don't think Nash would go for it. He took the LA offer because he wanted to stay close to his kids.. being a coach in Toronto would keep him away from his kids.

He's also got other projects lined up.. outside of the NBA kind of stuff.

As for his 'defense'.. Kerr was a terrible defender for the Bulls and yet GSW has one of the best defenses in the league. So I don't quite get that argument.

Comment

I don't follow the NBA as closely as you guys but I think it's a terrible idea to have a player that's just retired (well he hasn't retired yet) become a head coach of a team without any prior coaching experience. I'd rather see them work their way up the ranks so there is less chance of failure/has a better idea of what to do.

Hard to know exactly from sport to sport what different coaches bring to the game but for AFL (Aussie rules) a lot of these new, untried coaches struggle majorly when a little heat is applied, get the team nowhere and are given the flick pretty quickly (partly because they don't command the respect/trust of the higher ups when things are looking tough since they're unproven). Whereas the the older, more experienced guys seem to do far better, they've got more leeway and more support in the background to let them back themselves and do their thing.

Comment

You guys are all aware that if Nash did become our head coach, the most likely candidate for his lead assistant is Triano — who has done an excellent job in Portland.

Comment

Working...
                              X