Everything 2023 Off-season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• chris wrote: View Post

windhorst's position presupposes that jaylen brown will have more trade value to boston after they lock him up at supermax money than to trade him now. i'm extremely skeptical that's the case. i think it's more likely to become a bad deal the second he signs it at that money. (so like primer, i hope they do it. unlike primer, i hope we don't touch jaylen brown with a 10 foot pole)
    I don't want Jaylen Brown on a supermax. If we trade for him he's not eligible for it and I'm perfectly fine with Brown on a regular max deal.

I agree with your position here though that Brown on a supermax is far less valuable than he is now.

Comment

• chris wrote: View Post

yeah i listened to that discussion too and disagree with simmons that it's going to have the effect of squeezing out the middle class while teams only build around two stars (a 'hollywood' model, as he called it).

think the hollywood model is viable if you have two true stars that work well together, like a jokic-murray or durant-booker, etc. but i think it wil be more viable for teams to build around one star and a number of middle class or upper middle class players, or no stars and even more upper middle class players and middle class players.

i think the worst place a team could be is to follow a hollywood model by paying two B-list stars A-list money, which seems to be what simmons is suggesting since there are only a handful of A-list stars in the league at any given time. better to not fall into that trap and spread the money around imo, while also investing heavily in the draft to keep a pipeline of cheap talent incoming and also searching for the next true A-lister.

i also think that contracts like michael porter jr, herro, poole, etc. are pretty much toxic the moment these rules kick in (actually i think poole's deal was toxic the moment he signed it last offseason (as i said at the time), and not wanting to clean up that mess is the real reason myers is leaving). i hope we don't sign our own version of one of these in the next couple of offseasons.

will be interesting to see how this all shakes out over the next few years
      Pretty great reason to not resign Fred. He wants Herro money and he's not as good as Herro, so his contract would be even more toxic.

Comment

• Primer wrote: View Post

Correct
        Yeah, I think it's something teams will have to deal with if they want to contend. I'd rather be paying Tatum and Brown that type of money than say KD and Booker or Dame and Pascal as an example. At least both those guys are young, in their prime and really good two way players.

Comment

• I think front offices need to have the guts to not pay a B level star the supermax. Easier said than done with agents and stuff, but the team doesn't have to do it. Trade the guy and he doesn't get it. Pay him something between the max and supermax. If people were realistic and reasonable this wouldn't be an issue.

Comment

• BrydenB wrote: View Post
            I think front offices need to have the guts to not pay a B level star the supermax. Easier said than done with agents and stuff, but the team doesn't have to do it. Trade the guy and he doesn't get it. Pay him something between the max and supermax. If people were realistic and reasonable this wouldn't be an issue.
            Max, Super Max, Super Duper Max, share of revenue blah blah, I don't care.
            Paying a Pascal level star or a Fred level semi-star 30-40-50M is insane. There should be a level of elite super star (30-40, crazy in itself) and then a big drop to "stars" such that you choose 2 elite guys or 4 talented guys. Mid level teams forced to pay mid level guys like superstars is the problem. The numbers are just examples, no need to go all union over me with "do you want the billionaire owners to keep it all". And no, I don't want the millionaire players to be slaves.....

Comment

• G____Deane wrote: View Post

Max, Super Max, Super Duper Max, share of revenue blah blah, I don't care.
              Paying a Pascal level star or a Fred level semi-star 30-40-50M is insane. There should be a level of elite super star (30-40, crazy in itself) and then a big drop to "stars" such that you choose 2 elite guys or 4 talented guys. Mid level teams forced to pay mid level guys like superstars is the problem. The numbers are just examples, no need to go all union over me with "do you want the billionaire owners to keep it all". And no, I don't want the millionaire players to be slaves.....
              the better players become more stable those salaries will become. being a 20 pts scorer won't even be special soon
              Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

• Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

• MixxAOR wrote: View Post
                  That's actually a pretty good article breaking down the situation and potential suitors for Fred.

Also had this interesting tidbit.

“He’s just a different voice that they haven’t heard before, something outside the box who is going to bring new ideas, creative ideas,” VanVleet said of Nurse joining the Sixers. “It will be a breath of fresh air for them and anytime you’re changing head coaches, that’s pretty much what you’re looking for. A new identity, a new voice for guys to kind of rally behind. … I think he’ll have some success. Hopefully not too much if I’m not there and I’m staying in Toronto, then we want him to fail. But other than that, I am happy that he landed on his feet.”

Comment

• we're going to chose Tobias Harris over him?!?!

Comment

• Jclaw wrote: View Post
                      we're going to chose Tobias Harris over him?!?!
                      Tobias Harris over me!!! - Fred "Jimmy Bulter" Van Vleet
                      Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

• My newest fun idea. I tried to make a Fred SnT to Philly work, but they don't really have assets if they won't move Maxey.

But there are also rumours the Lakers want him and would do a DAR SnT for him, plus assets. I don't think the Raps would want DAR. But Philly might!

So my idea: Fred SnT to Lakers, DAR SnT to Philly, Harden SnT to HOU, Raps get a 1st from LAL and 2nds from PHI/LAL, HOU gets a couple 2nds and cash from PHI/LAL for playing ball (they don't really lose anything and it's common for teams to agree to a no-cost SnT instead of signing outright).
                        twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• Lakers have draft picks still?

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
                            Lakers have draft picks still?
                            Super far in the future, but yes.
                            twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• Fred landing in Philly would be hilarious. I actually think him and Maxey would be a good backcourt with Embiid. Maxey could move up to be the primary perimeter guy and Fred would be the #3 or #4 option but could run the team. They would still lack athleticism at the forward spots, though.

Comment

• If we move Pascal I wouldn't be entirely opposed to a Fred for Harris swap.

Harris is overpayed but that's the only knock against him.

He can shoot and play both forward positions. If Pascal is gone we could use someone like that.

I'd prefer it to losing Fred for nothing.

Comment

Working...
                                X