Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What happened to this team after the Portland game?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What happened to this team after the Portland game?

It seems like something has happened since the Portland. This team is playing like a lottery team since then. What the hell happened after that game??

There is no ball movement, Guards just walk up and take contested shots, DD doesn't drive anymore, PPat has been reduced to a poor man's Channing Frye, and our bigs have become glorified screen setters. What the hell is going on???
    "Stay steamy"

- Kobe

hotfuzz wrote: View Post
    It seems like something has happened since the Portland. This team is playing like a lottery team since then. What the hell happened after that game??

There is no ball movement, Guards just walk up and take contested shots, DD doesn't drive anymore, PPat has been reduced to a poor man's Channing Frye, and our bigs have become glorified screen setters. What the hell is going on???
    Yeah I was wondering what happened since that Jan 2 game. If we had won that game I suspect what has unfolded since would not have been nearly as bad. 3-8 is horrific month of January so far. I wish the all star break was this weekend so we could regroup.

Comment

James Johnson tweeted something about Teague, and the locker room hasn't stopped crying.

Comment

Their confidence was shaken and they all dug-in to help rally the team back to its winning ways.

Unfortunately, the natural instinct for many of the players (and the head coach) is to try and do it all by themselves. Guys like Lowry, DeRozan, Lou and Vasquez all want to help the team win so badly, but their entire approach of trying to 'carry the team on their back' is fundamentally flawed, which leads to a downward spiral of hero-ball and even more losing.

When feeling pressured, DC goes to his guys. He did it with Bargnani. He did it with Gay. He did and is doing it with DeRozan, Lowry, Vasquez and Lou. It's the 'give it to Will' strategy, to give your "best" player the ball and let him determine the outcome of the game. It happened in game #7 against Brooklyn. It happens at the end of every quarter. It seems to have become this team's default, fall-back option when things get tough or panic sets in, much to the detriment of the team.

From top to bottom, from coaches to players, there just doesn't seem to be the understanding or trust that team-oriented, inside-out basketball helps the team win games (especially if that approach doesn't experience immediate success).

Comment

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
          It's the 'give it to Will' strategy....
          All Carlton ever wanted was to help.

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
            All Carlton ever wanted was to help.
            Lol! Is your dp from when Carlton jacks up an airball?
            "Stay steamy"

- Kobe

Comment

hotfuzz wrote: View Post
              Lol! Is your dp from when Carlton jacks up an airball?
              I still laugh out loud every time.

Comment

Everyone hates ISO ball and even when the team was successful, people were complaining big time.

Up to and including the Portland game they were averaging under 12 TO's per game. The last 10 games, 158 TO's, almost 16/game - if they had done that all year, they'd be among the 5 worst in the NBA.
                If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

I honestly think they were truly deflated after the GS game. They were caught up in the mentality of "we can hang with anyone" but got flattened against the top team in the league. At that point guys start doubting their capabilities and things start getting worse. That's what I think

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                  OG is our king

Comment

Am I the only person who thinks we should play JV the most minutes on the team? Who cares if he turns it over or can't defend 2v1 like he's asked to.
                    Let the guy learn during this time, we don't have a playbook on offense or a decent defensive system to win a championship anyway. Might as well let him learn how to play in crunch time EVEN if it means we'll lose some games ( if that's even the case who knows ).

I'm not suggesting we tank the season but were making the playoffs so who cares if we play 500 ball at this point , not like we're winning a championship with this squad / coach .
                    2006-07 NBA Coach of the Year

Comment

consmap wrote: View Post
                      I honestly think they were truly deflated after the GS game. They were caught up in the mentality of "we can hang with anyone" but got flattened against the top team in the league. At that point guys start doubting their capabilities and things start getting worse. That's what I think

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                      Same. GS shook the players, but I think it shook Casey as well. Casey thought he could make adjustments and match the Warriors style and intensity, and it was a massive miscalculation. He's been struggling with his rotations ever since.

Comment

bryan colangelo wrote: View Post
                        Same. GS shook the players, but I think it shook Casey as well. Casey thought he could make adjustments and match the Warriors style and intensity, and it was a massive miscalculation. He's been struggling with his rotations ever since.
                        Casey thought he could actually beat GSW with small ball and when they get destroyed it broke his little head
                        "Both teams played hard my man" - Sheed

Comment

SamMitchells wrote: View Post
                          Am I the only person who thinks we should play JV the most minutes on the team? Who cares if he turns it over or can't defend 2v1 like he's asked to.
                          Let the guy learn during this time, we don't have a playbook on offense or a decent defensive system to win a championship anyway. Might as well let him learn how to play in crunch time EVEN if it means we'll lose some games ( if that's even the case who knows ).

I'm not suggesting we tank the season but were making the playoffs so who cares if we play 500 ball at this point , not like we're winning a championship with this squad / coach .
                          You're not the only one. He should be a focal point of the offense after his exceptional play during the summer proving he can handle a larger load.

Comment

MACK11 wrote: View Post
                            Casey thought he could actually beat GSW with small ball and when they get destroyed it broke his little head
                            That's my theory. Lot's of blame to go around. The players thought they were better than they actually are, the coaches thought the players had the talent to match the Warriors, and then Casey deployed a strategy that pretty much guaranteed defeat.

That's like Michael Richards doing stand-up comedy at an open mic, all loose and cocky, and than falling flat on his face. Oof.

Comment

OldSkoolCool wrote: View Post
                              You're not the only one. He should be a focal point of the offense after his exceptional play during the summer proving he can handle a larger load.
                              It's more than just giving JV more minutes. They need to overhaul how they get the ball in and out of the post.

Comment

Working...
                              X