Upcoming Extensions/Signings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upcoming Extensions/Signings

Based on how JV has played vs market value: will he get a max contract at the end of his rookie deal?
    What contract would you sign him to as of right now?

What extension would you give Ross?

Will Lou Williams be a Raptor next year? at what price?

Would you want Hansbrough back on a similar deal?

Will fields be in the league next year?

Hayes back on the vet minimum?

bonus question: Do you think DD will opt out of his player option in hopes for a better deal?

I only have an opinion on some of the questions.

Don't need Hansbrough.

Fields will probably end up a 14th/15th man with some team. I can't see him playing overseas just yet.

I'd like Hayes back on a vet minimum. If you ask me, I'd be inclined to put him ahead of Hansbrough now, mainly for low-post defense.

As for DeRozan, he's basically guaranteed to opt out. It would be a poor business decision not to.

Comment

Upcoming Extensions/Signings

connected wrote: View Post
      Based on how JV has played vs market value: will he get a max contract at the end of his rookie deal?

bonus question: Do you think DD will opt out of his player option in hopes for a better deal?
      JV will more than likely get the max from some idiot team who needs a big man. And I think we should match because he's an important building block. I think with the right offensive system and good, patient coaching to teach him defense, he can be one of the best bugs in the league. He already shows how dominant he can be night in and night out and gets benched for whatever reason. Maybe that is to keep his value low so other teams don't offer him gargantuan contracts... That actually makes more sense than most theories.

Ross, the way he's playing now, I'd give him maybe 3/19 or 4/22 with the 4th year being a team option. However with the cap set to go up I could see him getting 7-11m per year from somebody, I don't know if I want that somebody to be us.

I hope Lou is a raptor next year, but only at GV's contract and only if we get rid of GV. We don't need 2 ball stopping chuckers in the second unit and I'd rather have Lou because he was brought in for that, whereas GV is supposed to be a facilitator, which I just don't see from him. I'd give him anywhere from 5-8 mil per year for 2-3 years. But maintaining flexibility for 2016 is important.

I wouldn't mind Hayes and Hans back, but at small salaries (minimum for chuck and same for Hans) but I think if there are better options available, we should definitely look to upgrade there. Also feel tha Hans will get more somewhere else.

As for fields, well if Salmons is still in the league I think fields has a good chance of being picked up by some team in need of a vet glue guy (Philly, when they start trying? Minny? )

If DD does opt out, I think he will have talked to Masai beforehand and told him, and would also give Toronto the right to match. It would be wise for him to wait until the TV money comes, and lots of teams have cap space that year. I could see teams that whiff on Durant offer him a boatload...
      Last edited by e_wheazhy_; Tue Jan 27, 2015, 02:39 PM.
      A key that opens many locks is a master key, but a lock that gets open by many keys is just a shitty lock

Comment

JV will probably get the max. I would be surprised if he didn't. Demar will certainly opt out, and I pray he doesn't get a max deal. I'd love to see him stay, but not sure I am comfortable with him tying up ~ $20mil in cap space. Somewhere in the $12-15M range seems more appropriate. Ross just hasn't impressed at all, and unless he turns it around, my guess is he gets traded. Not sure what his value is though. Honestly, anything over $6M per seems like alot to me, but I really do hope he turns it around in the second half and proves he is worth some coin. I can live without Hans, but would keep Chucky at the vet minimum.

I'm up in the air on Lou. I don't know if it's him, or the way he is being utilized, but he shoots way too much for my liking and I want to move away from the ISO style we are presently showcasing. Maybe he could be utilized differently, but a heat check guy off the bench seems to be his niche, and one I do not want to pay heavily for. I can do without.

Amir is the big question for me. What is he worth, should he continue to start? I want him to remain a Raptor so I'm curious to see how this plays out.

Comment

Like everyone else said, you can bet some other team is going to offer the max. I think MU should try and negotiate an extension under the max to save even a couple of million per year.

Amir is terrifying. Is he broken for good? I don't want to pay a run down Amir for his 1 in every 4 games energy.

Comment

I think Amir is done with the Raptors unless he wants to take a 1 year deal. I don't see Masai tying up cap space in a declining PF when we need to use that space to sign a starting PF for years to come. Amir would be a nice backup PF, but we already have PPat signed long term in that role.

If Masai can sign JV to a sub-max extension to keep him from hitting RFA I would be ecstatic. Casey has been doing his best to keep JV's value low, so now is the time to try and get him for less than a max contract.

I'd like to use the same strategy on Ross. Sign him to a cheap extension before a new coach comes in and he starts to truly blossom. Even if he doesn't blossom, we'd have a decent bench player at a reasonable price (thinking $7M per year).

DD will opt out and we'll sign him to whatever he wants. Hopefully he gives the team a discount so we have cap space to build a true contender.

I'd like Lou back on a contract similar to his current one. His ability to score in bunches off the bench is extremely useful and difficult to come by. Teams can't relax against our second unit because Lou will go HAM on them.

Hans, Hayes and Fields can all move on somewhere else.

Comment

Much like the coach, I can't see the roster being overhauled this season (ie: at trade deadline), because they've earned the chance to compete in a super weak EC, where they're all but guaranteed the division and a top-4 seed. After the unexpected success and hard-fought playoff series loss last season, the status quo was all but written in stone this season.

I do hope that more emphasis is put on the development of younger players down the stretch, when the division title will be secured well ahead of the playoffs and the schedule is full of matchups against conference foes who will be in lottery-seeding mode.

There's definitely a chance that the expiring contracts are utilized as assets at the trade deadline, but I think that it's highly unlikely, barring some end-of-the-bench tweaking.

In the offseason, all bets are off, but I wouldn't be surprised to see this team look significantly different come next season.

Valanciunas - extended for as little as MU is able to negotiate, with no limit on the amount, ultimately

DeRozan, Amir & Lou - cash them in as assets (S&T for Amir/Lou, or let them walk); definitely don't want to overpay for any of them (it would shock me if DeRozan doesn't opt-out and I can't see MU risking losing a valuable player/asset for nothing)

Hansbrough, Fields, Hayes, Stiemsma - thank you for your service to the Raptor franchise and enjoy your future in the NBA (none of them should be regulars in a 10-man rotation, but are all quality 3rd string vets - MU prefers to stack the 3rd string slots with young players)

Ross - I hope he extends at a good value, so that he can either continue to develop on the Raptors or be easily cashed-in after re-signing
              Last edited by CalgaryRapsFan; Tue Jan 27, 2015, 04:20 PM.

Comment

JV should get max or close to it, just because of positional scarcity. Looks far better offensively, even if his D hasn't come along as well as I've hoped.

I'd get rid of Ross. There should be 3 and D guys available who actually play D effectively.

I like Lou, but he might be the best trade chip we have at the deadline.

Resign Hansbrough, but only if Casey's still around, and that's a big if. He's like Buckley's in Casey's defensive system. May leave a rotten taste, but he has been effective.

No clue as far as Fields - awful this year, but if he regains some shooting, some team will give him a chance.

Hayes at vet minimum is good value.

No idea of DD's thinking. If his agent knows some teams still don't buy into analytics, he'll advise DD to opt out. One of those teams will overpay him.
                If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

3inthekeon wrote: View Post
                  JV should get max or close to it, just because of positional scarcity. Looks far better offensively, even if his D hasn't come along as well as I've hoped.

I'd get rid of Ross. There should be 3 and D guys available who actually play D effectively.

I like Lou, but he might be the best trade chip we have at the deadline.

Resign Hansbrough, but only if Casey's still around, and that's a big if. He's like Buckley's in Casey's defensive system. May leave a rotten taste, but he has been effective.

No clue as far as Fields - awful this year, but if he regains some shooting, some team will give him a chance.

Hayes at vet minimum is good value.

No idea of DD's thinking. If his agent knows some teams still don't buy into analytics, he'll advise DD to opt out. One of those teams will overpay him.
                  Is DD that bad analytically? His ability to get to the line is elite and analytics love getting to the line. Seems like a few minor tweeks in his shot selection and he'd be an analytics dream. We see it from him every couple of games. I don't judge Demar until we get a coach with an offensive system. Guys who can get to the line like him can be extremely useful.

Comment

JV will be paid around 12 - 13 million per....I'd offer 5 years 65-70 million

I wouldn't at this point.

Yes, 4 years 28 - 30 million

nope time to get Daniels on board and Hansbrough slot makes sense

Fields will likely be picked up by ATL or the Spurs on a minimum deal

Yeah, great locker room guy

totally based on health but I would say 99.2% chance he opts out
                    Last edited by thead; Tue Jan 27, 2015, 04:52 PM.
                    For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

Primer wrote: View Post
                      Is DD that bad analytically? His ability to get to the line is elite and analytics love getting to the line. Seems like a few minor tweeks in his shot selection and he'd be an analytics dream. We see it from him every couple of games. I don't judge Demar until we get a coach with an offensive system. Guys who can get to the line like him can be extremely useful.
                      His shot selection needs far more than a tweak. Over 60% of his shots this year and over 55% last were outside 10 ft, but not 3's. He made them under 40% last year and under 35% this year. And 6 years in, he still can't shoot the 3. This basically kills the value of his getting to the line.
                      If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

His shot selection needs far more than a tweak. Over 60% of his shots this year and over 55% last were outside 10 ft, but not 3's. He made them under 40% last year and under 35% this year. And 6 years in, he still can't shoot the 3. This basically kills the value of his getting to the line.

just a question...does that factor in shots he is fouled on. Because if he has a unique skill its drawing fouls on jump shots
                        For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

Not sure what JV's max is but I could definitely see him getting 13M. Gortat got 12 and JV's a lot younger.

Ross gets 7-9M based on the new cap which I would do. Looking at DD's contract, we gambled and it paid off big, would like to recreate that with Ross.

Really iffy as to if I want Lou back, I'm leaning towards yes but if we can manage to pick up a starting 3 this offseason then I'll pass on Lou, with Ross and JJ being our bench wings. But I think he'll get 8M/2-3 years.

I'll pass on Hans.

Honestly don't see Fields being signed anywhere.

I'll take Hayes back but strictly only at the vet minimum.

DD will and should opt out, I'd love to have him at ~18M.

Comment

Primer wrote: View Post
                            Demar was offensively elite last year (USG >28%, ORTG > 110), but he has regressed badly this season. Really, really badly. Agree with your sentiments, though. The offensive system is kind of like throwing him to the wolves, and basically turning him into a carbon copy of Rudy Gay, pre-trade.

Comment

thead wrote: View Post
                              just a question...does that factor in shots he is fouled on. Because if he has a unique skill its drawing fouls on jump shots
                              I can almost guarantee you that those stats do not take into account plays where Demar was fouled. Just like FG% doesn't take into account plays where the player was fouled.

Comment

Working...
                              X