No announcement yet.

Jeff Van Gundy as our next coach?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I heard Samuel L Jackson learned a lot about basketball during the filming of Coach Carter. He would also give pretty good halftime speeches.

Comment

JVG was Zach Lowe's guest on his latest podcast. It certainly didn't make me want him as a coach less.
      "They're going to have to rename the whole conference after us: Toronto Raptors 2014-2015 Northern Conference Champions" ~ ezzbee Dec. 2014

"I guess I got a little carried away there" ~ ezzbee Apr. 2015

"We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Comment

ezz_bee wrote: View Post
        JVG was Zach Lowe's guest on his latest podcast. It certainly didn't make me want him as a coach less.
        I'd be happy to replace Casey with JVG if it comes to that.
        "Bruno?
        Heh, if he is in the D-league still in a few years I will be surprised.
        He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

Is JVG actually any good at teaching defense? Thibs was his assistant after all in NY and in Houston.

Comment

stooley wrote: View Post
            I'd be happy to replace Casey with JVG if it comes to that.
            I wouldn't be upset, but I'm not convinced that JVG is a Pop/Carlisle/Sloan level coach, which ultimately I'm hoping we have with our next coach. I'm actually fine with Casey as the coach, until/unless Masai finds a coach who he thinks is at that level.
            "They're going to have to rename the whole conference after us: Toronto Raptors 2014-2015 Northern Conference Champions" ~ ezzbee Dec. 2014

"I guess I got a little carried away there" ~ ezzbee Apr. 2015

"We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Comment

ezz_bee wrote: View Post
              I wouldn't be upset, but I'm not convinced that JVG is a Pop/Carlisle/Sloan level coach, which ultimately I'm hoping we have with our next coach. I'm actually fine with Casey as the coach, until/unless Masai finds a coach who he thinks is at that level.
              Well Pop, Carlisle and Sloan ain't coming to Toronto. We can't be the starving man who passes up a hamburger because he's waiting for a filet mignon to come his way.
              9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

KeonClark wrote: View Post
                Well Pop, Carlisle and Sloan ain't coming to Toronto. We can't be the starving man who passes up a hamburger because he's waiting for a filet mignon to come his way.
                That hamburger being Dwane Casey?
                "Bruno?
                Heh, if he is in the D-league still in a few years I will be surprised.
                He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

stooley wrote: View Post
                  That hamburger being Dwane Casey?
                  No, actually he's the feeling of being starved.

Comment

92TillInfinity wrote: View Post
                    I heard Samuel L Jackson learned a lot about basketball during the filming of Coach Carter. He would also give pretty good halftime speeches.
                    I think Casey is a good coach but in the event that he is fired, it would be great to get Samuel L. Jackson or Gene Hackman as a replacement, providing the Raptors some tough love and inspiration.

Comment

92TillInfinity wrote: View Post
                      What Free Agent wouldn't want to play for Samuel L. Jackson?

We'd be the #1 media hit team in the world!!

Make it happen Masai
                      If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

The knock on JVG is usually his unimaginative offenses, with emphasis on feeding the post.

I don't really buy the "ride your players hard" complaint against coaches like him and Thibs. You almost never hear players complain about playing time, because it helps them pad their stats, gets them all-star recognition, and ultimately enables them to collect bigger pay cheques. You think Jimmy Butler is complaining about being "ridden hard" to his first all-star selection?

Here's a couple of good articles....

http://saltcityhoops.com/coaching-pr...eff-van-gundy/

http://raining3s.com/2014/05/05/lake...eff-van-gundy/

Comment

golden wrote: View Post
                          The knock on JVG is usually his unimaginative offenses, with emphasis on feeding the post.

I don't really buy the "ride your players hard" complaint against coaches like him and Thibs. You almost never hear players complain about playing time, because it helps them pad their stats, gets them all-star recognition, and ultimately enables them to collect bigger pay cheques. You think Jimmy Butler is complaining about being "ridden hard" to his first all-star selection?

Here's a couple of good articles....

http://saltcityhoops.com/coaching-pr...eff-van-gundy/

http://raining3s.com/2014/05/05/lake...eff-van-gundy/
                          Sign me up.
                          9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

KeonClark wrote: View Post
                            Sign me up.
                            His style would suit Toronto. He could also coach the Leafs if he wanted some pocket money too.

Comment

Bump.

Comment

no

Comment

Working...
                                X