Jeff Van Gundy as our next coach?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jeff Van Gundy as our next coach?

Lets not make this another thread on why Casey sucks. That's pretty much a fact for so many reasons, but at this point in the season, you can't fire your head coach. An inevitable playoff meltdown will lead to his ousting as coach.

Anyways, I want to see Jeff Van Gundy as our next coach and I think it can realistically happen.
    He's coached some great big men (Ewing, Yao Ming, Oakley, Camby).
    He's an experienced coach who's playoff tested.
    It looks like he wants to get back into coaching.

I think he would want to come to the Raptors.
    In his All-star picks, he had Jonas as an All-Star Reserve (WOW!).
    I think he and Masai would be on the same page, and he's the kind of coach that free agents would want to come and play for.

Why not?

Be fun to have someone new to bitch and whine about.
    If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

3inthekeon wrote: View Post
      Why not?

Why?

Comment

He might not want to give up his gig on ESPN and move to Toronto.

Comment

Why not?

I don't think the way he's coached his teams has he ever done something stupid consistently.

Comment

Mindlessness wrote: View Post
            I don't think the way he's coached his teams has he ever done something stupid consistently.
            He rides guys hard like Thibs.

Comment

stretch wrote: View Post
              Why?
              Human nature.

There are always people who think they're smarter than real NBA coaches,

The one I remember best is in 2010 reading some Laker poster explaining that Phil Jackson's substitution patters were all wrong. That was the season he won his 11th coaching ring.
              If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

Yes

Comment

I can almost promise you that will change as soon as he becomes our coach.
                  "Bruno?
                  Heh, if he is in the D-league still in a few years I will be surprised.
                  He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

I haven't heard anything to indicate he wants to get back into coaching.

Comment

stooley wrote: View Post
                      I can almost promise you that will change as soon as he becomes our coach.
                      I mean, I can understand a mistakes from game to game as long as they aren't consistent, we would probably complain about it. But it wouldn't be as it is now, with the majority wanting a new coach. Maybe there would be a small minority, but I doubt a majority of the forum would want JVG gone for quite some time.

Comment

I mean, I can understand a mistakes from game to game as long as they aren't consistent, we would probably complain about it. But it wouldn't be as it is now, with the majority wanting a new coach. Maybe there would be a small minority, but I doubt a majority of the forum would want JVG gone for quite some time.
                        It would eventually happen though, unless he has a career like Pop.

And I'm sure he has some tendencies that certain people would deem mistakes, and be very vocal about it.

Although, I'm starting to question Casey myself. I'm just not quite as confident in denouncing him as everyone else on this forum (who I think are way too certain in their opinions) given that the quality of evidence is pretty shitty.
                        Last edited by stooley; Wed Jan 28, 2015, 11:43 PM.
                        "Bruno?
                        Heh, if he is in the D-league still in a few years I will be surprised.
                        He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

Primer wrote: View Post
                          I haven't heard anything to indicate he wants to get back into coaching.
                          McGrady, in an interview, basically said that he doesn't think JVG will ever return to coaching. As a commentator, JVG gets to talk about and teach regular joes about basketball, which is what he loves to do. Kind of like Hubie Brown. And he gets paid very well for a job that's way less stressful.

It would take a massive offer to pull him out of retirement.

Comment

The Asian in me is still angry that he ran Yao into the ground with his sore left foot. I don't want Jeff Van Gundy in our team

Comment

Human nature.

There are always people who think they're smarter than real NBA coaches,

The one I remember best is in 2010 reading some Laker poster explaining that Phil Jackson's substitution patters were all wrong. That was the season he won his 11th coaching ring.
                              Just because some people have criticized Phil Jackson doesn't mean the people who have criticized Casey are wrong. Just because we are armchair GMs and Couch Coaches, doesn't mean our opinions are automatically invalid when compared to what one person is doing, seemingly against many opinions (not just RR's)

Nice try though.

Comment

Working...
                              X