Jeff Van Gundy as our next coach?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

bryan colangelo wrote: View Post
    McGrady, in an interview, basically said that he doesn't think JVG will ever return to coaching. As a commentator, JVG gets to talk about and teach regular joes about basketball, which is what he loves to do. Kind of like Hubie Brown. And he gets paid very well for a job that's way less stressful.

It would take a massive offer to pull him out of retirement.
    I really like Jeff as a Barkley-lite when he gotta say something and point out an elephant in the room about something on National TV.

Comment

tonious35 wrote: View Post
      I really like Jeff as a Barkley-lite when he gotta say something and point out an elephant in the room about something on National TV.
      Me too. He's a solid commentator with the NBA street-cred to call bullshit when he sees it.

Comment

There's honestly a chance this could happen.
        MLSE is not afraid to break the bank - they spent big bucks getting MU on board.
        JVG likes Jonas - he's the only legitimate person I heard that wants JV in as a All-star reserve.

People said Stan Van Gundy wasnt going to be a coach again, but he turned around and went to Detroit of all places.

We have a promising roster. We have a mediocre coach. We are willing to break the bank. We have a country in our corner. I think its a good proposal to JVG.

Comment

No chance this happens. If his brother is the president of basketball operations and head coach in Detroit, that's what he'd want in Toronto. That would mean the end of Masai.

Comment

blackjitsu wrote: View Post
            No chance this happens. If his brother is the president of basketball operations and head coach in Detroit, that's what he'd want in Toronto. That would mean the end of Masai.
            No problem, he can be the head coach of the Raptors, 3rd string PG, president and GM of the Maple Leafs, plus head waiter at Real Sports.

Comment

Would be cooler if Charles Barkley was our coach....
              Jk

But certainly a good coach like JVG would work and help us get to the next level. I'm sure the players would respect him , he would have a totally different approach to our defence while considering the players we have.
              And I would hope to see less YOLO ISO 3 pointers
              2006-07 NBA Coach of the Year

Comment

OldSkoolCool wrote: View Post
                Just because some people have criticized Phil Jackson doesn't mean the people who have criticized Casey are wrong. Just because we are armchair GMs and Couch Coaches, doesn't mean our opinions are automatically invalid when compared to what one person is doing, seemingly against many opinions (not just RR's)

Nice try though.
                Doesn't mean the critics of Casey are wrong, but it doesn't mean they are right either.

The truth is somewhere in between. And it's not like Casey can defend himself and explain why he does some of the shit he does.

How much does he follow the advice of his assistants, Nurse for instance. 0%?, 50%?, 100%? How do we know? But some of us actually claim they do.

We use incorrect facts to criticise, like JV hedging on screens. Yeah, the poster admitted he misspoke, but people were agreeing,

People still claim Ross is a good defender, when stats say they're wrong. People say Hansbrough is useless, when stats say they're wrong.

I could go on and on, but why bother.

And I don't even like Casey, wouldn't shed a tear if Masai replaced him. But as opposed to a lot of the shit I read here, I'm at least TRYING to be objective, with the few facts we actually have at our disposal.
                If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

It isn't in between. Caseys defence causes open shooter on the perimeter and encourages gambling. Casey cut down the hedging but it still creeps back.

Nurse influence look like the frequent lob and skip passes recently since Casey hates them but it has increased movement while creating turnovers. It's a step toward a better offence.

Comment

Hire JVG, and bring in Oakley, Ewing, Starks, Anthony Mason and Mark Jackson as his assistants

Comment

tonious35 wrote: View Post
                      The Asian in me is still angry that he ran Yao into the ground with his sore left foot. I don't want Jeff Van Gundy in our team
                      You like Yao simply because he's Asian? Ugh.

Comment

JVG has a soft spot for the raptors for a long time...anyone been around long enough knows after he resigned from the Knicks he openly said he would like a chance to coach VC...but in MLSE standards they hired Kevin O'neal and JVG went to Hou. Had fantasies of him coaching us since then lol I think he'd be a great fit but unless Raps lose in the 1st round or collapse the rest of the season...Casey is here to stay

Comment

OldSkoolCool wrote: View Post
                          Just because some people have criticized Phil Jackson doesn't mean the people who have criticized Casey are wrong. Just because we are armchair GMs and Couch Coaches, doesn't mean our opinions are automatically invalid when compared to what one person is doing, seemingly against many opinions (not just RR's)

Nice try though.
                          Like Milton Friedman said "who among you would refuse cancer treatment from a doctor unless he himself also had cancer?" Or something along those lines.

(He was referring to the notion that only poor people can come up with solutions for the poor)

Same idea though.
                          Sunny ways my friends, sunny ways
                          Because its 2015

Comment

3inthekeon wrote: View Post
                            Human nature.

There are always people who think they're smarter than real NBA coaches,

The one I remember best is in 2010 reading some Laker poster explaining that Phil Jackson's substitution patters were all wrong. That was the season he won his 11th coaching ring.
                            Just wow. Imagine living in a world where you assumed that all of the people currently in leadership positions were 100% right all of the time and completely above critique.

Comment

Comment

Thibodeau maybe available after the season if the smoke in Chicago is real. Great coach but I fear he maybe too inflexible re how hard (reportedly) he is on his players. His mantra is practice, practice, practice....the only way to get good.

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.c...beyond-repair/

Comment

Working...
                                X