Jeff Van Gundy as our next coach?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

JawsGT wrote: View Post
    Are you not concerned about Thibs running our players into the ground if he coached here? He is a great coach no doubt, but his propensity to use only 2-3 players off the bench regularly is a little worrisome.
    Feel like this is overplayed. Chicago has not had very good depth most of his years coaching them. Fact is they've had a mandate to win, and limited players that could help them do it. Not to mention maybe some of these guys are just injury prone.

Comment

I don't think any of us really know what we're talking about when we talk about JVG's coaching abilities because he has not coached in a while. We have no idea how he would coach todays game which is a lot different than the game played even just 8 years ago.

Who knows, maybe he's the guy we need but we can't know that. I feel like the only reason we're talking about him is because he's a Van Gundy and he's on t.v and he's kinda cool cause he says stuff.
      You come at the King, you best not miss.

Comment

breakin_ankles wrote: View Post
        Not to mention it would be pretty hard to select only 8 total players in this roster to get run per game. We have a deep bench. Each with skills that can definitely be utilized by an elite coach.
        I gotta disagree with you here. We are deep for sure, but I can see how easy it would be to run 8 guys a night. 5 starters with Vasquez, Lou and Patterson off the bench. No hans, JJ, Fields, Hayes, Steamer, Bebe, or Bruno. Maybe Hans and JJ get some spot minutes here and there depending on matchups or what not.

white men can't jump wrote: View Post
        Feel like this is overplayed. Chicago has not had very good depth most of his years coaching them. Fact is they've had a mandate to win, and limited players that could help them do it. Not to mention maybe some of these guys are just injury prone.
        This is true their depth probably wasn't so great. And maybe the DRose injuries is what got many people making these claims to begin with.

Comment

Guys....what if I coached the team?
          For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

thead wrote: View Post
            Guys....what if I coached the team?
            Nah. Coach has to know how many games the team plays in February.
            twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

DanH wrote: View Post
              Nah. Coach has to know how many games the team plays in February.
              Nah I just have to show up when the bus leaves for the airport.

Coaching is easy....scream keep your hands up, yell at people who don't get back on defense, and pull JV as soon as he catches fire
              For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

thead wrote: View Post
                Nah I just have to show up when the bus leaves for the airport.

Coaching is easy....scream keep your hands up, yell at people who don't get back on defense, and pull JV as soon as he catches fire
                This is key.
                You come at the King, you best not miss.

Comment

Mr.Z wrote: View Post
                  This is key.
                  Yeah, we REALLY don't want the arena burning down.

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
                    Didn't JVG really have just 1 good year (that 1999 Cinderella run with the 8th seeded Knicks)? And in a lockout shortened season, if memory serves correctly.

Seems like we're overrating this guy simply because he says things on TV that his colleagues are afraid to say.
                    JVG was a great coach that squeezed out great defense out of mediocre rosters. You could trust him to develop a great half-court team. But I have no idea how he'd do in the current NBA space-and-pace meta-game.

Players and coaches really love and respect JVG though. He's the guy that took a punch from Marcus Camby. I don't seem him having a problem building a staff or relating to players.

Comment

Mr.Z wrote: View Post
                      I don't think any of us really know what we're talking about when we talk about JVG's coaching abilities because he has not coached in a while. We have no idea how he would coach todays game which is a lot different than the game played even just 8 years ago.

Who knows, maybe he's the guy we need but we can't know that. I feel like the only reason we're talking about him is because he's a Van Gundy and he's on t.v and he's kinda cool cause he says stuff.
                      Steve Kerr never coached before this season. He's doing OK.

Comment

JVG would be a great motivator. It's not like Casey is some "new age" innovator with the X's and O's. He does however have some good assistant coaches, which JVG would also have. He'd have respect from the players forsure, his name and face carry clout in this league, and being on TV the past bunch of years probably HELPED his cause. Make no mistake the man is still up on basketball, and has probably had a chance to breath, and watch "today's game" from the sidelines without the bias and emotion, all 30 teams.
                        9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

If nothing else he would be able to teach defence to players. Increases trade value and allows Raptors to gamble on players who have a no defence rep. He might be able to resurrect Bargs

Comment

what about phil jackson as our next coach. i feel he is really good at motivating players and earns lots of respect in the nba. could probably convince some high rated free agents to sign with us too.

Comment

Miekenstien wrote: View Post
                              what about phil jackson as our next coach. i feel he is really good at motivating players and earns lots of respect in the nba. could probably convince some high rated free agents to sign with us too.
                              He's the president of the Knicks.
                              If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

Red Aurbach had success with the Celtics. Chuck Daly could motivate the defense

Comment

Working...
                                X