What would you do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What would you do?

Let's assume that Masai doesnt make any big moves until the trade deadline before the allstar break:

our locked guys for next year are:

Center: Jonas Valanciunas, ---------, Lucas Nogueira
    Power Forward: --------, Patrick Patterson, --------
    Small Forward: Terrence Ross, James Johnson, Bruno Caboclo
    Shooting Guard: DeMar DeRozan, ----------, ------------
    Point Guard: Kyle Lowry, Greivis Vasquez, ----------

http://hoopshype.com/salaries/toronto.htm 48 millions, wich is almost 34 million to spend, compared to this year's salaries.

so we need to fill those gaps, remember we have our 2015 first round draft pick and Deandre Daniels overseas! who do you sign? who do you give as extension to? wich position do you draft?

WHAT WOULD YOU DO???
    Last edited by Samuel Isaak; Fri Jan 30, 2015, 08:45 PM.

Sam, please move Ross to his actual position. Thank you.
    Axel wrote:
    Now Cody can stop posting about this guy and we have a poster to blame if anything goes wrong!!
    KeonClark wrote:
    We won't hear back from him. He dissapears into thin air and reappears when you least expect it. Ten is an enigma. Ten is a legend. Ten for the motherfucking win.
    KeonClark wrote:
    I can't wait until the playoffs start.

Until then, opinions are like assholes. Everyone has one and they most often stink

Comment

Cody73 wrote: View Post
      Sam, please move Ross to his actual position. Thank you.
      hahahah the guys arent position locked, it's just to have a visual guide!!!

#IBelieveInRoss
      Last edited by Samuel Isaak; Fri Jan 30, 2015, 09:07 PM.

Comment

Ross+Amir+Hans+Nogueira+NYK pick for Ibaka. Resign Lou. Give Hayes the min. Sign Daniels. Draft a PG. Sign a backup C.

JV-FA-Hayes
        Ibaka-PPat
        JJ-Bruno-Daniels
        DD-Lou
        KL-GV-Rookie

Comment

I keep Amir, keep Chuck, most likely let Hans go ... toughest decision is whether I would keep Terrance or move him. If I let Lou go then I keep Terrance -- if he's cool with that role.

Otherwise, I would seriously talk to my stars, and coaches about moving him. The team needs a real starting SF -- probably more than a PF (I believe that Amir and Pat can fill that position in no particular order). Trading TRoss and maybe the pick should be enough for a starting quality SF who brings the tools that I want (3 and D).

Unless I'm blown away by this draft, what's the point? Daniels, Bruno and Bebe will all be fighting for some level of play time.

I might also listen to offers for GV. The biggest issue with the Raps is perimeter defense. He's a big part of that. Most importantly, I try to limit the amount of turnover on the roster. If I move Ross for a SF I try to keep the rest of the starters intact. If I can move GV somewhere that will start him, for a young more defensive minded backup PG, I try to keep the rest of the bench intact (IE keep Lou and Hans in that scenario).

I like JJ off the bench -- he can literally defend 4 positions -- if he's happy with his role, cool. My primary goal would be to sure up perimeter defense in the starting lineup. With that secure, Val can play more minutes...maybe I talk with Amir about coming off the bench as the primary big off the bench.

Finally, I wish Steimsma (m/s) good luck in his future endeavors.

Comment

Ross+ Amir + Bebe+ Hansborough+ tor 2016 1st round pick = Ibaka+ Mitch McGarry

Chuck becomes Vet minimum, Lou is extended, 66 million dollars for 2015/16- sign Demarre Carrol with your MLE and your 1st round pick is a point guard

Comment

I wouldn't trade for Ibaka, and hopefully buy a pick and draft a PG in the second round, our biggest need is PF with Amir's leg diminishing as season progresses.

Comment

tenforthewin wrote: View Post
                I wouldn't trade for Ibaka, and hopefully buy a pick and draft a PG in the second round, our biggest need is PF with Amir's leg diminishing as season progresses.
                So you wouldn't trade for a PF, you'd draft a PG when you specifically said we need a PF.

Comment

Bonus Jonas wrote: View Post
                  So you wouldn't trade for a PF, you'd draft a PG when you specifically said we need a PF.
                  I think he meant he'd buy a late pick to draft a PG, and get a PF with our first pick.

But yeah, if Amir comes back at a reduced price, Hans can go and we need a starting PF. Can it be Pat/Amir committee? Maybe. I have a feeling that unless we sign Millsap (which I don't think is whatsoever likely) Amir will continue to start as long as Casey is head honcho.
                  A key that opens many locks is a master key, but a lock that gets open by many keys is just a shitty lock

Comment

tenforthewin wrote: View Post
                    Jarrett Jack, who scored a career-high 35 points and matched a career-high with 13 assists
                    This a couple of days after D J Augustine scored 35 on us.

Maybe I'm wrong, but might a defensive stopper to pair with Lowry be a more pressing need?
                    If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

3inthekeon wrote: View Post
                      This a couple of days after D J Augustine scored 35 on us.

Maybe I'm wrong, but might a defensive stopper to pair with Lowry be a more pressing need?
                      No, Lowry needs rest and to get his shit together. He forgot Demar returned.

Comment

Bonus Jonas wrote: View Post
                        Ross+Amir+Hans+Nogueira+NYK pick for Ibaka. Resign Lou. Give Hayes the min. Sign Daniels. Draft a PG. Sign a backup C.

JV-FA-Hayes
                        Ibaka-PPat
                        JJ-Bruno-Daniels
                        DD-Lou
                        KL-GV-Rookie
                        I love it!

Comment

OKC isn't trading Ibaka. It's not happening. Let's look at things that are actually possible.

First off: we'll have more than 34 million to play with. Probably about 40 at least, because the league wants to gradually up the cap following the new TV deal. Let's assume it's 40 million we've got to work with.

1. Offer LaMarcus Aldridge the max. Won't happen, but we can do it (and should). See also: Marc Gasol, which won't happen either.
                          2. Give Kawhi Leonard a max offer sheet. Won't happen, San Antonio will match. See also: Jimmy Butler, Draymond Green.
                          3. Sizable offer sheets we should consider: Tristan Thompson, Kyle O'Quinn, Tobias Harris. You always need to be careful about overpaying these guys, though, and none of them are likely to leave.
                          4. Unrestricted free agents we should pursue: DeMarre Carroll, Brandan Wright, Kosta Koufos, Gary Neal.

You may at this point be getting the idea that free agency in 2015 is not really great for us. That is precisely correct. Most of the top guys we like are going to stick with their current teams, who will pay them very good money.

HOWEVER: in 2015, Joe Johnson is a one-year contract, and Brooklyn will be desperate to move him because if his salary is gone, he is much more movable. And Johnson might be vastly overpaid - but for one year where we don't need to do that much, it's not that big a deal. Especially considering that what he brings (reliable shooting and defense at small forward) is exactly what we need.

So:

1. Take Joe Johnson off the Nets' hands for one dollar. Brooklyn can send us their 2020 first-rounder to pay us for taking Johnson off their hands.
                          2. Extend Amir in the $6-8m range for 2-4 years as Amir prefers. Given his current health he's not going to command much more than that on the open market right now; the whole league knows he needs rehab time, so let's use that to get a discount on his services.
                          3. Trade Ross to Phoenix along with our 2015 first-rounder (and other considerations as needed) to pry Tyler Ennis and Miles Plumlee from them.
                          4. Sign Gary Neal for $4m (it's about what he commands) to be a heat check guy at SG.
                          5. Bring back Landry for the minimum because he's a good end of the bench guy.
                          6. Sign DeAndre Daniels to be a smallball four.
                          Team is now:

PG: Lowry, Vasquez, Ennis
                          SG: DeMar, Neal, Landry
                          SF: Joe Johnson, James Johnson, Bruno
                          PF: Amir, 2Pat, Daniels
                          C: Jonas, Bebe, Plumlee

Comment

magoon wrote: View Post
                            OKC isn't trading Ibaka. It's not happening. Let's look at things that are actually possible.

First off: we'll have more than 34 million to play with. Probably about 40 at least, because the league wants to gradually up the cap following the new TV deal. Let's assume it's 40 million we've got to work with.

1. Offer LaMarcus Aldridge the max. Won't happen, but we can do it (and should). See also: Marc Gasol, which won't happen either.
                            2. Give Kawhi Leonard a max offer sheet. Won't happen, San Antonio will match. See also: Jimmy Butler, Draymond Green.
                            3. Sizable offer sheets we should consider: Tristan Thompson, Kyle O'Quinn, Tobias Harris. You always need to be careful about overpaying these guys, though, and none of them are likely to leave.
                            4. Unrestricted free agents we should pursue: DeMarre Carroll, Brandan Wright, Kosta Koufos, Gary Neal.

You may at this point be getting the idea that free agency in 2015 is not really great for us. That is precisely correct. Most of the top guys we like are going to stick with their current teams, who will pay them very good money.

HOWEVER: in 2015, Joe Johnson is a one-year contract, and Brooklyn will be desperate to move him because if his salary is gone, he is much more movable. And Johnson might be vastly overpaid - but for one year where we don't need to do that much, it's not that big a deal. Especially considering that what he brings (reliable shooting and defense at small forward) is exactly what we need.

So:

1. Take Joe Johnson off the Nets' hands for one dollar. Brooklyn can send us their 2020 first-rounder to pay us for taking Johnson off their hands.
                            2. Extend Amir in the $6-8m range for 2-4 years as Amir prefers. Given his current health he's not going to command much more than that on the open market right now; the whole league knows he needs rehab time, so let's use that to get a discount on his services.
                            3. Trade Ross to Phoenix along with our 2015 first-rounder (and other considerations as needed) to pry Tyler Ennis and Miles Plumlee from them.
                            4. Sign Gary Neal for $4m (it's about what he commands) to be a heat check guy at SG.
                            5. Bring back Landry for the minimum because he's a good end of the bench guy.
                            6. Sign DeAndre Daniels to be a smallball four.
                            Team is now:

PG: Lowry, Vasquez, Ennis
                            SG: DeMar, Neal, Landry
                            SF: Joe Johnson, James Johnson, Bruno
                            PF: Amir, 2Pat, Daniels
                            C: Jonas, Bebe, Plumlee
                            You make some great points, but I'll just throw out a couple things to consider:

1. LaMarcus Aldridge and DeMar DeRozan would not work together on the same team. Both take a ton of long-2s; in fact they are number 1 and number 2 in the entire league on jumpers between 15-19 ft. http://stats.nba.com/league/player/#...t.%20FGA&dir=1 All mid-range shots? 1st and 4th http://stats.nba.com/league/player/#...ange=By%20Zone

2. Tristan Thompson turned down 4yrs/$52mm.... not sure we want any part of that.

3. Gary Neal is absolutely execrable. The guy is shooting 47.3% true shooting this year (29% from 3), I don't know why we would pay him $4mm.

That said, I don't have a lot of positive suggestions to offer myself just yet. I think Paul Millsap is the best combination of fit, quality, and likelihood to test the waters, but I'm sure the Hawks will do everything they can to retain him.

Like you said, 2015 probably isn't our year. 2016 might give us a better shot, but if we don't upgrade this summer/this year, how much better will we be next year? We need to convince guys to come here in 2016 with some deep playoff action.

This is why I'm hoping something weird and unlikely emerges on the trade market. Free agency has never been kind to the Raps.

Comment

All those FA's are guys I want. Seems magoon listens to us well.
                              Axel wrote:
                              Now Cody can stop posting about this guy and we have a poster to blame if anything goes wrong!!
                              KeonClark wrote:
                              We won't hear back from him. He dissapears into thin air and reappears when you least expect it. Ten is an enigma. Ten is a legend. Ten for the motherfucking win.
                              KeonClark wrote:
                              I can't wait until the playoffs start.

Until then, opinions are like assholes. Everyone has one and they most often stink

Comment

Working...
                              X