What would you do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Scraptor wrote: View Post
    1. LaMarcus Aldridge and DeMar DeRozan would not work together on the same team. Both take a ton of long-2s; in fact they are number 1 and number 2 in the entire league on jumpers between 15-19 ft.
    That's exactly why they'd work well together. LMA and DeMar on the floor together is a nightmare for opposing defenders: LMA can hit long 2s remarkably well, so throw him and DeMar on the floor and you've got two players who have to be guarded closely in the "inefficiency zone" that teams now often de-emphasize on defense.

Regardless, Portland will max him, so whatever.

3. Gary Neal is absolutely execrable. The guy is shooting 47.3% true shooting this year (29% from 3), I don't know why we would pay him $4mm.
    Then maybe we pay him $2m, but I think this year is just a bad year for Neal on a team where he clearly doesn't fit. This is the first year he's ever shot worse than league average at 3s. Buying on him is buying low.

That said, I don't have a lot of positive suggestions to offer myself just yet. I think Paul Millsap is the best combination of fit, quality, and likelihood to test the waters, but I'm sure the Hawks will do everything they can to retain him.
    I don't think Millsap goes anywhere. He's a key part of a contending team that can afford to pay him big bones this year. Why would he go somewhere else?

Like you said, 2015 probably isn't our year. 2016 might give us a better shot, but if we don't upgrade this summer/this year, how much better will we be next year? We need to convince guys to come here in 2016 with some deep playoff action.
    If our goal this year is second round of the playoffs, our goal in 2015/16 should be conference finals and/or at least a really hard fight in the second round. The problem, though, is that our biggest hole is at power forward, and 2015 is simply not a year where there will be a lot of power forwards available either in trade or in free agency. (Brandon Bass is not a long term answer.)

Comment

magoon, who out of the FA's you mentioned, who do you want the most, and why?

I'd love to see what else people may want to go after this offseason.
      Axel wrote:
      Now Cody can stop posting about this guy and we have a poster to blame if anything goes wrong!!
      KeonClark wrote:
      We won't hear back from him. He dissapears into thin air and reappears when you least expect it. Ten is an enigma. Ten is a legend. Ten for the motherfucking win.
      KeonClark wrote:
      I can't wait until the playoffs start.

Until then, opinions are like assholes. Everyone has one and they most often stink

Comment

Raptors should at least attempt to see if there is something to salvage when Bargnani is a free agent. Casey is a terrible coach and AB might just have been a victim. A 1-2 year deal like Ed Davis might work for both sides. If AB is willing and a new coach is brought in.

Comment

raptors999 wrote: View Post
          Raptors should at least attempt to see if there is something to salvage when Bargnani is a free agent. Casey is a terrible coach and AB might just have been a victim. A 1-2 year deal like Ed Davis might work for both sides. If AB is willing and a new coach is brought in.
          Please no Bargnani, have we not suffered enough already
          SPECIAL REPORT: March 27th, 2017, it is now confirmed Lebron James has had both his back and his dignity broken by the vicious swinging right elbow of ruthless heavyweight PF and notorious bad-boy David Lee

Comment

This post is lifetime ban worthy.

Masai should be doing everything in his power to obtain a restraining order against Bargnani.

Comment

magoon wrote: View Post
              OKC isn't trading Ibaka. It's not happening. Let's look at things that are actually possible.

First off: we'll have more than 34 million to play with. Probably about 40 at least, because the league wants to gradually up the cap following the new TV deal. Let's assume it's 40 million we've got to work with.

1. Offer LaMarcus Aldridge the max. Won't happen, but we can do it (and should). See also: Marc Gasol, which won't happen either.
              2. Give Kawhi Leonard a max offer sheet. Won't happen, San Antonio will match. See also: Jimmy Butler, Draymond Green.
              3. Sizable offer sheets we should consider: Tristan Thompson, Kyle O'Quinn, Tobias Harris. You always need to be careful about overpaying these guys, though, and none of them are likely to leave.
              4. Unrestricted free agents we should pursue: DeMarre Carroll, Brandan Wright, Kosta Koufos, Gary Neal.

You may at this point be getting the idea that free agency in 2015 is not really great for us. That is precisely correct. Most of the top guys we like are going to stick with their current teams, who will pay them very good money.

HOWEVER: in 2015, Joe Johnson is a one-year contract, and Brooklyn will be desperate to move him because if his salary is gone, he is much more movable. And Johnson might be vastly overpaid - but for one year where we don't need to do that much, it's not that big a deal. Especially considering that what he brings (reliable shooting and defense at small forward) is exactly what we need.

So:

1. Take Joe Johnson off the Nets' hands for one dollar. Brooklyn can send us their 2020 first-rounder to pay us for taking Johnson off their hands.
              2. Extend Amir in the $6-8m range for 2-4 years as Amir prefers. Given his current health he's not going to command much more than that on the open market right now; the whole league knows he needs rehab time, so let's use that to get a discount on his services.
              3. Trade Ross to Phoenix along with our 2015 first-rounder (and other considerations as needed) to pry Tyler Ennis and Miles Plumlee from them.
              4. Sign Gary Neal for $4m (it's about what he commands) to be a heat check guy at SG.
              5. Bring back Landry for the minimum because he's a good end of the bench guy.
              6. Sign DeAndre Daniels to be a smallball four.
              Team is now:

PG: Lowry, Vasquez, Ennis
              SG: DeMar, Neal, Landry
              SF: Joe Johnson, James Johnson, Bruno
              PF: Amir, 2Pat, Daniels
              C: Jonas, Bebe, Plumlee
              Solid post, so when I quibble, understand I still like where you stand.

First off, a big no to the Ross trade. Tyler Ennis has proven absolutely nothing yet, and Miles Plumlee isn't really that exciting.

I like getting Joe Johnson (if Casey continues to be the coach, because that is his type of guy.) That said, I'm pretty sure Brooklyn is done trading draft picks.

Looks pretty good overall though.
              That is a normal collar. Move on, find a new slant.

Comment

This is a great idea! Bargnani can be our secret weapon, championship here we come! IL MAGO RETURNS

Comment

NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
                  This is a great idea! Bargnani can be our secret weapon, championship here we come! IL MAGO RETURNS
                  Every player under Casey has become incredibly inefficient is misused. BC wasn't a terrible drafter and Bargs did really struggle until Casey. It would be terrific FU to the Knicks if it turns out Barge is useful and they got a lottery pick from the rental.

Comment

AB is playing/sidelined with injury or some combination in Europe next year.
                    If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

usually agreeing with your opinion, but now? this? what???
                      Official Pope of the Raptors sponsored by MLSE.

Comment

Every player under Casey has become incredibly inefficient is misused. BC wasn't a terrible drafter and Bargs did really struggle until Casey. It would be terrific FU to the Knicks if it turns out Barge is useful and they got a lottery pick from the rental.
                        Bro Bargs is straight up cashing checks now. He does not give a fuck anymore...well not that he did before but you get what i mean.
                        Last edited by NoPropsneeded; Tue Feb 3, 2015, 06:01 PM.

Comment

Just keep getting dem checks Bargs!
                          Mamba Mentality

Comment

NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
                            Bro Bargs is straight up cashing checks now. He does not give a fuck anymore...well not that he did before but you get what i mean.
                            Guys want Blatche. Next season Barns will be out of the league or on a min deal. Somebody will take a chance on him.

Comment

One potential strategy assumes that there are going to be guys out there eyeing the potential big cap increase in 2016, and wanting just a one-year contract to get them to 2016 free agency. Some team out there will make it known that they'll overpay guys on one year contracts. This is a potential everybody-wins scenario: the players gets a year to prove himself, gets a good paycheck, and gets to be part of the 2016 FA frenzy; the team gets a good player with no long-term commitment and preserves their cap space for 2016.

Not every player would be interested in a deal, especially players who would prefer to resign with their current team. But I think you phone up every free agent you think can help your team, and pitch them on this strategy. Take a guy like Tristan Thompson. Tell him, "nobody's going to give you the long-term contract you want this year. But next year they probably will. So we'll give you a one year deal on a lucrative contract. Play really well and maybe we'll resign you in 2016, but at the very least you've got a better shot at getting the long-term contract you want from someone else next summer, rather than this summer." I think he, and a number of other players, would seriously consider that.

And out of it, we get a decent injection of talent in the short term, while preserving our own cap space for 2016.

Comment

Octothorp: This idea is one I espoused back in the summer in terms of a re-sign strategy for Lou and Amir - give them both oversized 1 year deals, then decide whether to use cap room or bring them back in 2016.

Magoon: At one point it seemed possible the league would front load the cap jump, but very quickly after the TV deal announcement it leaked that the league had no interest in doing that, and would try instead to backload the deal after 2016. No solid info yet, but all signs point to the cap sitting at 66.5M or so this summer. The boom will likely be in 2016 - the question now is how big it will be - will the cap hit 90M? Or sit back at 80-85M or so, scaling up over time?
                                twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Working...
                                X