Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When Greivis Vasquez was added to the lineup, the team has improved.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When Greivis Vasquez was added to the lineup, the team has improved.

Greivis Vasquez
    The baseman was not as impressive in victory for the Raptors to the Brooklyn Nets by a score of 127-122 in overtime Friday night time, as it was Wednesday at the local stave Toronto when he scored 18 points and finished with six assists against his former team, the Sacramento Kings.

At any rate, his return to the ownership has served as a boost to this set that started the season with a record of 24-7 loomed until the new year. Since the Caracas received a call from his coach last January 19 in Milwaukee, the Raptors have won five straight and six of seven.

"Greivis has done a great job. He's been doing well," said Casey, which together with Vasquez in the starting lineup this season improved to 9-3.

It was a common thing for some teams in the league play with two bases in their starting fives especially when one tends to assume most of the responsibility for the annotation, as is the case with Kyle Lowry.

Casey first tried the method last season when Vasquez Raptors acquired in a trade with the Kings in December 2013. Although he did with the group of his quintets, the coach is confident that mix.

Toronto suddenly saw an improvement in their offensive rating with an average of 111.1 points per 100 possessions 105.8 unlike when the duo Vasquez and Lowry was not on the court.

The combination of the two owners produced better results for the defensive scheme, an index of 96.2 points allowed per 100 possessions of his opponents as opposed to 102.4 points per 100 possessions.

In 45 games this season, the duo Vasquez and Lowry has had an offensive rating of 109.5 and 102.7 defensive rating.

Vasquez, who in his previous eleven openings had averaged 11.3 points and 4.6 assists in 29.6 minutes, contributed 8 points, 7 rebounds in 24 minutes at the Barclays Center.

"We are a very good duo because we are both pilots," said the 28 years. "He's a little better offensively and I download to get the ball all the time so you can relax and in the last period can make your game. Obviously it's one of our horses and good everyone here has a role. We try to meet our role. at the end of the day we want to win to make the playoffs and why not make a run in the playoffs. "

Lowry, who was selected by fans to start the All-Star Game next February 15, has averaged 16 points and 6 assists over the last seven games Vasquez has begun.

"We've been playing better. I think it has been a bit of a transition and change some things but I think we're just continuing to improve," said Lowry, who has balance of 19.2 points in 47 games this season.

"His presence gives us another ball handler. It gives us the opportunity to make shots and be aggressive and me and DeMar DeRozan takes away a bit of the pressure of having to handle the ball."

Frustrated. That it what it means to be a Raptors fan. Has the new lineup been the spark that has lead to a 6 game winning streak? Does letting career back ups have career nights secretly play into the plan of limiting other scorers and leading us to victory? Or... has this current guard focused lineup allowed career back ups to have career nights and it's just a fluke that we're on a six game win streak because we could just as easily been 2-4? I feel that the latter in true.

Comment

Vasquez has played better as of late. But I wouldn't say the record is due to him. We haven't been playing the best teams. I think the lowry, demar, JJ, Pat, Jonas lineup would have fared better.

Comment

I feel like this line-up is working because of ball movement and having a more elite bench unit now. I agree that JJ needs to play more, but Greasy is finally stopping being YOLO , is passing more and not throwing up junk shots. This maybe the best thing for him even though we are using a smaller unit.
        Last edited by Cody73; Mon Feb 2, 2015, 11:45 AM. Reason: Grammar tweak
        Axel wrote:
        Now Cody can stop posting about this guy and we have a poster to blame if anything goes wrong!!
        KeonClark wrote:
        We won't hear back from him. He dissapears into thin air and reappears when you least expect it. Ten is an enigma. Ten is a legend. Ten for the motherfucking win.
        KeonClark wrote:
        I can't wait until the playoffs start.

Until then, opinions are like assholes. Everyone has one and they most often stink

Comment

According to WP48 Vasquez, DeMar and Ross contribute little to wins and we would have more wins if they lost court time to JJ, Fields and Williams. WP48 is not a perfect stat, to be sure, but overall I think that's true the less GV/DD/TR and the more JJ/LF/LW, the better.

The starting lineup should be Lowry, Williams, James Johnson, Patterson, Valanciunas.

If for some reason that can't be quantified, DeMar needs to remain in the starting lineup, then fine, but please not GV or TR as well.

Comment

The stretch has been good for Vasquez, for sure. I was pleasantly surprised at how well they game planned for Joe Johnson and the Nets with James Johnson out of the line-up, but as has been mentioned they've been getting torched by guards. It's too early to draw any big conclusions, because the recent wins have been against really bad teams.

As DeMar gets back into the flow and Lowry seems to be recovering form, some of the swagger is definitely coming back. Many of the defensive issues are still there, though.
            "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

Also, not only should the he starting lineup should be Lowry, Williams, James Johnson, Patterson, Valanciunas, but Fields should be ahead of DeRozan, Vasquez and Ross on the depth chart.

Comment

Quirk wrote: View Post
                but Fields should be ahead of DeRozan, Vasquez and Ross on the depth chart.
                Can't tell if you're serious

Comment

Fields would never start for DD. even if you provide evidence as to why.. That's just politics.
                  2006-07 NBA Coach of the Year

Comment

tDotted wrote: View Post
                    Haha I did a triple take with his comment, but I think he's talking about player usage based solely on WP48. Obviously a pointless exercise when you have Landry Fields playing ahead of DeRozan.
                    "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

GV is a good player that hasn't jived with the 2nd unit, likely because he yields to Williams iso. His strength is his length in post-up situations, and his 3 point shot. He is not a traditional PG IMO. I am really liking the current set up for this team.

Ideally going forward I would like to see him stay in the starting lineup with Lowry, Demar, JV and some sort of hulking defensive PF (ibaka is my fantasy right now...ohhh what dreams may come). Amir, Pat, Williams, Ross, and JJ is a wicked bench. Give Williams control of the ball, its what he's best at anyways. I think this works also if they continue to develop Ross as a ball handler.
                      Welp, that sucked.

Comment

Quirk wrote: View Post
                        Also, not only should the he starting lineup should be Lowry, Williams, James Johnson, Patterson, Valanciunas, but Fields should be ahead of DeRozan, Vasquez and Ross on the depth chart.
                        I think this just proves why you don't make 100% decisions based on advanced stats.
                        "Stay steamy"

- Kobe

Comment

hotfuzz wrote: View Post
                          I think this just proves why you don't make 100% decisions based on advanced stats.
                          How does it prove this?

Comment

tDotted wrote: View Post
                            Pretty serious.

Comment

hotfuzz wrote: View Post
                              Also depends on how "advanced" the stats are.

RPM/VORP for instance claims Fields has had negative value this year.

That more closely resembles my eye test.
                              If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

Working...
                              X