Game #78 Raps at Horncats Sunday April 2nd 1:00pm on SN1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• planetmars wrote: View Post

Scoring is half the game. His point of attack defense is underwhelming from the eye test, but I think that's a strategy too.. because those same problems exist with most everyone. Outside of that he's been great on defense. And definitely props up his impact.

We don't have good quality guards on this team outside of Fred. That's the biggest issue with this team. So Fred is invaluable simply because he's the only capable guard we have. And yeah he's super inefficient but it's not mattering because he's got a positive EPM/DPM. Those measure impact. And are two of the best impact stats out there.

He's impacting the game positively despite his poor shooting. Now imagine if he shot well? He's a career 37% shooter from 3.. and yet he's shooting below 35% this year. 37-38% at his volume is pretty great actually. I think he could get back up to 40% like he did in the championship season. It requires maybe some changes to his shot. He's a hard worker, so I'm sure he can figure it out in the off season - although I think a lot of it is mental. I'm thinking its his contract situation mostly. That's my hope anyway. He shot 37.7% last year and he had a bad second half.

And TS% is so much better than eFG%. Fred is one of the best FT shooters in the league.. and he's still also getting to the line despite his size/frame. Gets to the line at least 3-4 times a game, every game. And he's a 90% shooter. Pretty much automatic.

Once he does shot well it will be better, definitely. I agree. And I think he will again. He's not 35 or 36.. He's turning 30. I used Jrue Holiday before as an example of a guy who got better as he got older. Jrue at Fred's age now was a terrible shooter too.

yeah i think fred's defensive decline has been massively overstated just because the point of attack stuff jumps out at people, but like you said it's a team-wide thing and is 100% scheme based (which is why you shouldn't be so hard on scottie - he looks pretty good defensively to me too aside from the POA). poeltl even touched on it when he got here, i think in a blake murphy piece, saying that it was taking him a bit to get used to the defensive scheme because it would be considered bad defense by any of the 29 teams (paraphrasing).

like not even scottie pippen wouldn't be able to guard maxey or fox or whoever if he was asked to get into his jersey as soon as they crossed half court either. wtf are we doing?

fred obviously still impacts the game positively in other ways even if his shot isn't falling

Comment

• chris wrote: View Post

yeah i think fred's defensive decline has been massively overstated just because the point of attack stuff jumps out at people, but like you said it's a team-wide thing and is 100% scheme based (which is why you shouldn't be so hard on scottie - he looks pretty good defensively to me too aside from the POA). poeltl even touched on it when he got here, i think in a blake murphy piece, saying that it was taking him a bit to get used to the defensive scheme because it would be considered bad defense by any of the 29 teams (paraphrasing).

like not even scottie pippen wouldn't be able to guard maxey or fox or whoever if he was asked to get into his jersey as soon as they crossed half court either. wtf are we doing?

fred obviously still impacts the game positively in other ways even if his shot isn't falling
      Scottie's gotten so much better lately. I definitely agree on that one. Haven't been as critical as I have in the past. And I don't think its the Poeltl affect either. He's sticking on to his guys much better. Not putting his arms behind his back. Not fouling too much or over thinking.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post

Scottie's gotten so much better lately. I definitely agree on that one. Haven't been as critical as I have in the past. And I don't think its the Poeltl affect either. He's sticking on to his guys much better. Not putting his arms behind his back. Not fouling too much or over thinking.
        No ref whining anymore too which is great.

Comment

• Kagemusha wrote: View Post

Lol
          Fred's performance is basically the same pre Jak and now, except for a slight uptick on assists of which has to be credited more to the recepient (Jak) than to him.
          What?

Pre-Jak starting: 20, 6 and 4 on 34% from 3 and 54 TS%.

After Jak's first start: 20, 9 and 3 on 36% from 3 and 55 TS%. (In fewer minutes per game, winning those minutes by way more, and the team winning a lot more games).

Going from 6 assists per game to 9 is a "slight uptick"? Yeah, he's got someone to pass to now. That's part credit to Jak, part showing how Fred was a better passer than the stats made it seem except there was no one who could be a roll man on the team.
          twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• Basically the same stats except on assists like I said.

Comment

• Kagemusha wrote: View Post
              Basically the same stats except on assists like I said.
              Percentage points are huge for efficiency.

And putting up the same production on fewer minutes is good.

And a 50% increase in assists is not a slight uptick. Like you said.
              twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Working...
              X