50 WINS … The Ugly Truth

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 50 WINS … The Ugly Truth

So, I'm sure all of us would have been giddy at the start of the season if we were told the Raptors would have 50 wins this year (myself included). N'or would we have thought that it was out of reach. Sitting at 33-17, the Raps only have to go 17-15 to reach 50 wins for the season. That scares me. A 17-15 final stretch heading into the playoffs does not sound like a team with momentum unless a handful of those 15 losses come sooner than later.

"Momentum" and "runs" you see during every basketball game clearly occur during the season as well. The momentum the Raptors carried to start the year ended on their 32nd game which came against the Blazers in an OT loss. They went 24-7 up until that point. Now they sit 9-10 since then and play exactly like a 9-10 team would.

I'm not entirely sure where I'm going with this post anymore…I guess what I'm trying to say is that 50 wins can be pretty misleading.

Someone posted a Phil Jackson quote a while ago, about true contenders being teams who reach 20 games above .500 before losing 20 games. We're almost there, but who knows how true it is.

Comment

I think this post would have been better saved for if we actually do end up with 50 wins. 50 wins on its own would have been misleading given the context.... But right now it's a hypothetical.

If we do stall out at 50 wins, it won't be that bad if we make it to the second round. If we flop out in the first, it's pretty hard not to see this season as a giant wasted opportunity.

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
        Someone posted a Phil Jackson quote a while ago, about true contenders being teams who reach 20 games above .500 before losing 20 games. We're almost there, but who knows how true it is.
        Yeah it's 40 wins before 20 losses. You can find some info on how teams panned out here:
        http://www.reddit.com/r/nba/comments..._40_before_20/

Comment

Who cares about 50 wins really. It's not a big deal at all. What matters is who you vs in the playoffs and do you actually beat them.

Getting to the eastern conference finals beating Miami then Washington for example is nice but nothing I would really appreciate. Miami sucks and we match well vs Washington (surprisingly)

Beat the bulls , hawks or Cleveland? That's pretty nice if you ask me, anything other than that is pure deception to the average fan.
          2006-07 NBA Coach of the Year

Comment

Not sure we're even gonna win another game this year.

Coach is an idiot.
            Lowry is a chucker who never looks inside.
            Vasquez starting, but shouldn't be. YOLO brickfest on O, pylon on D.
            Amir is a cripple.
            JV gets no minutes or touches.
            DD loves bricking contested long 2's.

Hansbrough is a useless flopper.
            PPat can't rebound.
            Lou ISO chucker.
            TRoss soft and weak, doesn't care.
            JJ should be starter so will stay glued to bench.

Refs will take care of whatever little hope remains.

GM too busy playing with Blackberry to notice disaster unfolding before our eyes.

If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

3inthekeon wrote: View Post

Coach is an idiot.
              Amir is a cripple.

PPat can't rebound.
              Lou ISO chucker.

GM too busy playing with Blackberry to notice disaster unfolding before our eyes.

I feel your pain. We could go 0 for February.....BUT just when you think these guys are down and out they have surprised us. I expect a better effort against more difficult opponents coming up ....whether that translates into W's or not time will tell.

Comment

What pain?

I'm watching the best Raptor team ever.
                If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

Coach is an idiot.
                  Amir is a cripple.

PPat can't rebound.
                  Lou ISO chucker.

hahahaha

for whatever reason, this made me smile.

Comment

Coach is an idiot.
                    Amir is a cripple.

PPat can't rebound.
                    Lou ISO chucker.

Toronto is 25th in the league for opp fg%. Everything is fiiiiiiine. 33 and 17! Nothing to see here. Move along.
                    "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

What pain?

I'm watching the best Raptor team ever.
                      I enjoyed the first couple months of the season a lot more than the last two.

Comment

I think youre seeing a team moving back to the line a bit is all.

The raps have a way to go yet.

Comment

S.R. wrote: View Post
                          Toronto is 25th in the league for opp fg%. Everything is fiiiiiiine. 33 and 17! Nothing to see here. Move along.
                          Team has flaws. Some of my post is actually my opinion, most isn't..... just shit I've picked up here as you rightly assumed.

Made my feelings known as to how to improve the team both cheaply and possibly dramatically..

Too much negativity here - I'm Danny Glover getting too old for this shit.

Got to keep a sense of humour and perspective.

Comment

Team has flaws. Some of my post is actually my opinion, most isn't..... just shit I've picked up here as you rightly assumed.

Made my feelings known as to how to improve the team both cheaply and possibly dramatically..

Too much negativity here - I'm Danny Glover getting too old for this shit.

Got to keep a sense of humour and perspective.
                            Haha I agree, actually. All the flaws mean there's still lots of work for Masai to do. Hopefully Casey still adapts/adjusts/learns as a coach. I'm not one for a quick-trigger fire sale reaction (fire/trade everybody!), but I am disappointed by the drop off over the past few weeks. I wouldn't mind tough/close losses, but am not a fan of ugly basketball and poor defense. I've left a few pvr games unwatched lately.

Comment

Working...
                            X