Sets we could run well

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sets we could run well

I know I'm not the only one who doesn't consider casey/nurse's "offence" real basketball, and we all complain about it enough so let's try something a little more constructive, what sets do we think would work well for our personell?

some I think would work well

Lowry-Horns elevator (ball movement and then a nice open look at the 3, would also work for vasquez, ross and patterson)

Derozan-Pinch post pick and roll (his handles and passing are much better and he's a pretty explosive player think he could work with some open court space. could also work for lowry williams and vasquez, and a big maybe for ross and james)

Ross-horns pin down(I'll take a 3, even if he is streaky is % is pretty good, and if he steps in to the elbowish where the play normally puts him I think he makes most of his jumpers from that range. also for lowry derozan and williams)

Valanciunas-wing offball screen for him while diversion high pnr goes on(gets him great deep low post position, and to say he's decent from their this season is a bit of an understatement. could work for our other bigs too, but low post jv is our best option by a pretty long way.)

Amir-I don't know, I know he's great at finishing pnr's and I hear vasquez used to be a pnr maestro, maybe try some of that?

Williams-Any play where he doesn't dribble the ball at centre court for 14 seconds, seriously he's pretty good at catch and shoot 3's interchange him with lowry or ross to get open 3's for him.

Patterson-Patterson's kind of hard cos he is so versatile, he could probably do Ross' plays and mix up the pnr's to pick n pops which is nice, but for god sake he's so much more than a spot up shooter, don't make him a spot up shooter then complain about his rebounding.

Vasquez-more passing plays, see Amir, I don't know for him either really, any of lowry or derozan's I guess.

a lot of the plays are interchangeable too of course, the requirements are usually one of size, 3 point stroke, handles.

yes some are plays we used to run or still do(very occasionally) but they work, and they're better than step back 3s.

and the 3 man weave we do at the beginning of some plays is a waste of time, at least the way we do it.
    any thoughts?

other plays that would be better than step left shoot a 3?
    Last edited by cinqueda; Thu Feb 5, 2015, 06:04 PM.

Pounding the rock leading into infini-iso + long 2pt jumpshit with 2 defenders contesting.

Comment

KHD wrote: View Post
      Pounding the rock leading into infini-iso + long 2pt jumpshit with 2 defenders contesting.
      100% efficiency!

(not including when it misses!)

Comment

Mindlessness wrote: View Post
        100% efficiency!

we usually make them, but they just weren't falling for us this season, I think we just need to make sure all our guys are giving 100%.

Comment

cinqueda wrote: View Post
          we usually make them, but they just weren't falling for us this season, I think we just need to make sure all our guys are giving 100%.
          ISOs? I don't know how to check but I doubt any ISO (excl. post-ups) player (like specific player when specifically ISOing) shoots more than 45% from 2, and 35ish % from 3.

Comment

ISOs? I don't know how to check but I doubt any ISO (excl. post-ups) player (like specific player when specifically ISOing) shoots more than 45% from 2, and 35ish % from 3.
            Yeah, Harden shot 45% on ISOs when shooting 2 shots per game during the 11-12 season, and apparently he was amongst the top ten players in efficiency on ISOs according to this (2012) article.
            http://grantland.com/features/jeremy...de-candidates/

Remember, he was taking 2 shots per game and coming off the bench for OKC. I doubt anyone has better efficiency unless they took only a few ISOs a game.

Comment

100% efficiency!

34.7 percent of the time, works every time.
              A key that opens many locks is a master key, but a lock that gets open by many keys is just a shitty lock

Comment

I remember when Nurse's hiring was heralded as a fantastic move for the organization. One of the next big names in the up-and-coming coaching ranks. A man who's paid his dues, and implemented an offense with proven results.

Those were the days....

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
                  I remember when Nurse's hiring was heralded as a fantastic move for the organization. One of the next big names in the up-and-coming coaching ranks. A man who's paid his dues, and implemented an offense with proven results.

Those were the days....
                  IMHO a lot of the first half ball movement is influenced by Nurse. The second half pull ups and ISO into the paint not. On defence the conservative zone Defense looks like Bayno and the late game scrambling not. It looks like different teams with clear divisions or Casey is. Schizo.

Comment

Op made good points..

We simply don't use any plays we have in the past. As rap999 said were doing them early on and as the game progresses so does Casey's obsessive compulsive disorder.

For example , don't y'all remember when derozen was injured we'd feed JV the ISO post ups in the first quarter that were like well over 50% or the foul? .. We don't see them going to him early on anymore.
                    It's all about getting DD hot with long contested 2's.. Looks nice when it goes in, but doesn't look like a high percentage shot.

Terrance Ross is a great catch and shoot 3 point player. Some plays that force a double team leaving him open would be great.
                    Maybe the coaching staff can force him to set some picks which can influence his man to give him space for him to pick and pop.
                    Same with Patterson?

Anything but ISO contested 2's and 3's.

^ that is the worst form of basketball.
                    It's almost like free lancing, playing basketball with no coach LOL. That's what basketball with no coach looks like.
                    2006-07 NBA Coach of the Year

Comment

SamMitchells wrote: View Post
                      Op made good points..

We simply don't use any plays we have in the past. As rap999 said were doing them early on and as the game progresses so does Casey's obsessive compulsive disorder.

For example , don't y'all remember when derozen was injured we'd feed JV the ISO post ups in the first quarter that were like well over 50% or the foul? .. We don't see them going to him early on anymore.
                      It's all about getting DD hot with long contested 2's.. Looks nice when it goes in, but doesn't look like a high percentage shot.

Terrance Ross is a great catch and shoot 3 point player. Some plays that force a double team leaving him open would be great.
                      Maybe the coaching staff can force him to set some picks which can influence his man to give him space for him to pick and pop.
                      Same with Patterson?

Anything but ISO contested 2's and 3's.

^ that is the worst form of basketball.
                      It's almost like free lancing, playing basketball with no coach LOL. That's what basketball with no coach looks like.
                      the closer we get the better, jv and amir are both great finishers in close enough, ross williams vasquez and lowry are all good spot up shooters. we had plays that work, it's almost unfortunate so many of the terrible shots fall for us encouraging them. something like horns

I'd take DD at the point guard spot of it, because I feel he's a better driver/finisher than lowry and also because lowry is clearly a better 3 point shooter than him, so lowry and ross in the corners, dribble pitch from amir on the high post to DD and he drives for an open basket or if help comes from the corner we get an open 3 for lowry or ross, we used to run a version of this with a bit more movement, I think it was a lowry pin down for DD in the corner before the dribble pitch which is probably better come to think of it.

I think T-Ross has a better skillset then korver, but needs to learn how to utilize what he has, at this point it doesn't seem likely. but he's a good 3 point shooter at the very least if we can give him open looks we won't need to worry about his stepbacks or high lay ups. definitely setting screens will make him a better player, aside from getting him open more it'll help him understand defensive reactions better and when to pull up or when to drive.

it's worse than freelance, I played in a mixed summer league and one girl had played in high school no one else had any real experience. noone went 1-11 though if you were 0-3 you would pass more or try to get closer, complete newbies understand this, I get than gunners like lou williams and nick young type players have obscene amounts of confidence and it makes them better shooters, that's why we have coaches to pull them aside and talk to them.
                      Last edited by cinqueda; Fri Feb 6, 2015, 01:13 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X