Rumour: Raptors Still Looking For A Big Man

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• caccia wrote: View Post
    I completely agree. Patrick Patterson addressed this issue last week, saying essentially that several front offices in the past have tried to improve on what was already a very good team, and only succeeded in wrecking what they already had:

“You look at history where teams have been in a positive situation, they’ve been winning or maybe they’ve lost but they’re in a great situation as far as standings go, but then they make a trade and the next thing you know that trade messes up the chemistry,” said Patterson after a short practice with Ujiri looking on from the sidelines.

In short, Patterson said, trying to fix things via the trade route can backfire. Without good chemistry — something the Raptors have touted as a strength this season — a little slump can rapidly become an ugly downwards spiral, he warned.

“It causes them to play horribly, to have problems in the locker room, resulting in a horrible season after that and losing in the playoffs too early. You look in the past, that’s happened a number of times,” said Patterson.

I would add that you need look no further than last years Indiana Pacers, who were absolutely dominant until two mid-season trades, one of which shipped out Pacers leader Danny Granger, who was recovering from injury.
    Danny Granger going down also led to the emergence of Paul George. fortunately it will be MU making that call and not 2pat. And really, maybe I'm old school, but in this day and age of social media, players talk too much.

Comment

• RepTdot wrote: View Post
      Faried is 6'8 but hold his own in the paint...and just for arguments sake...Rodman- one of the greatest rebounders, defenders & energy players of all time was 6'7 at PF. Basketball IQ is worth much more than size.
      Rodman is 10000x the player Faried is

Faried isn't a good defender by any stretch
      "Both teams played hard my man" - Sheed

Comment

• big boi wrote: View Post
        From watching evey game for years. From knowing what good defence is. Now why do you think Faried is "terrible"? Pretty sure I've seen more of Amir than you've seen of Faried.
        You're eyes test has failed you

Amir is a terrific defender and you saying he's not an above average defender is ridiculous lmao

Comment

• Again, if Casey can just change the damn line up then a trade / acquisition can wait until the offseason.

Comment

• MACK11 wrote: View Post
            You're eyes test has failed you

Amir is a terrific defender and you saying he's not an above average defender is ridiculous lmao
            Your. Not you're. Why is he a "terrific" defender? You seem to be prone to exaggeration. Faried "terrible". Amir "terrific". "10,000 x the player". I won't be expecting a nuanced, intelligent fargument from you any time soon Mach 11. Just a lot of bipolar statements with your signature "lmao".

Comment

Your. Not you're. Why is he a "terrific" defender? You seem to be prone to exaggeration. Faried "terrible". Amir "terrific". "10,000 x the player". I won't be expecting a nuanced, intelligent

fargument from you any time soon Mach 11. Just a lot of bipolar statements with your signature "lmao".
              Guest you're man

This conversation is done

Comment

Guest you're RIGHT man

This conversation is done
                Fixed

Comment

Your. Not you're. Why is he a "terrific" defender? You seem to be prone to exaggeration. Faried "terrible". Amir "terrific". "10,000 x the player". I won't be expecting a nuanced, intelligent fargument from you any time soon Mach 11. Just a lot of bipolar statements with your signature "lmao".
                  lol, if you're going by the eye test you should probably also try to verify your eyes with stats.

For the record Amir is 19th this year amongst PFs in DRPM at 1.79. While Faried languishes in 46th at 0.72.

2013-14: Amir was 10th at 3.14. Faried was 69th at -1.17.

14-15: http://espn.go.com/nba/statistics/rp...RPM/position/6
                  13-14:http://espn.go.com/nba/statistics/rp...RPM/position/6

On top of that, last year Amir was +3.4 in defense only xRAPM, while Faried was -1.6.

12-13: Amir 3.6. Faried 1.1.
                  11-12: Amir 3.1. Faried -0.6.

Link: http://stats-for-the-nba.appspot.com/

Both stats have reputable names at the top, so...

Comment

Fixed
                    You can edit your own posts man

Comment

• NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
                      You can edit your own posts man
                      Not on mobile lol

Comment

• Mindlessness wrote: View Post
                        lol, if you're going by the eye test you should probably also try to verify your eyes with stats.

For the record Amir is 19th this year amongst PFs in DRPM at 1.79. While Faried languishes in 46th at 0.72.

2013-14: Amir was 10th at 3.14. Faried was 69th at -1.17.

14-15: http://espn.go.com/nba/statistics/rp...RPM/position/6
                        13-14:http://espn.go.com/nba/statistics/rp...RPM/position/6

On top of that, last year Amir was +3.4 in defense only xRAPM, while Faried was -1.6.

12-13: Amir 3.6. Faried 1.1.
                        11-12: Amir 3.1. Faried -0.6.

Link: http://stats-for-the-nba.appspot.com/

Both stats have reputable names at the top, so...
                        Yeah, have to admit, I haven't really gotten in to money ball type statistical interpretation in baaketball. And dot really know which metrics are good / broadly trusted and which one's aren't. I can inserstand money ball application in baseball, not so well in basketball. I think Faried is a better player than Amir. So did team USA. I don't think anywhere outside of TO or raptor nation would you find too many individuals saying Amir is better than Faried. And I've seen Faried light Amir's vaunted defence up. And out rebound him easily when matched up. Again, I like Amir, I just think overall Faried is better and that he has more upside.

Comment

Yeah, have to admit, I haven't really gotten in to money ball type statistical interpretation in baaketball. And dot really know which metrics are good / broadly trusted and which one's aren't. I can inserstand money ball application in baseball, not so well in basketball. I think Faried is a better player than Amir. So did team USA. I don't think anywhere outside of TO or raptor nation would you find too many individuals saying Amir is better than Faried. And I've seen Faried light Amir's vaunted defence up. And out rebound him easily when matched up. Again, I like Amir, I just think overall Faried is better and that he has more upside.
                          Faried is a pretty bad pick and roll defender, while Amir is an excellent pick and roll defender. This is something that doesn't really show up in stats.

Here are some examples

Amir has in years past been our number one defender by a wide margin. He's hobbled this year but is still a better positional defender than Faried.

Faried has the glamorous rebound numbers but there's a lot more to defense than that.

Comment

• Now that Casey has (FINALLY) displayed the "people's choice" lineup...
                            Lowry / Vasquez
                            DD / Lou
                            JJ / Ross
                            2pat / Amir
                            JV / Hands

It is very apparent that that starting five is deadly as they not only gave us a 10 point lead on the fucking spurs, but brought us back after the revamped bench unit blew it... The weakest points stood out like crazy, hands is not a back up centre and Ross will never live to his full potential. I am willing to be patient with Ross but we need a true backup centre for these new lineups to work right.
                            In other words, don't bother discussing a new starting PF unless it's a stretch 4, and instead dedicate time to figuring out what kind of backup c and lock down backup 3&D we can get for a combo of hands, fields, Steamer, picks & maybe even Ross. (although he will come around and we will regret letting him go in the trade)

Comment

• breakin_ankles wrote: View Post
                              Now that Casey has (FINALLY) displayed the "people's choice" lineup...
                              Lowry / Vasquez
                              DD / Lou
                              JJ / Ross
                              2pat / Amir
                              JV / Hands

It is very apparent that that starting five is deadly as they not only gave us a 10 point lead on the fucking spurs, but brought us back after the revamped bench unit blew it... The weakest points stood out like crazy, hands is not a back up centre and Ross will never live to his full potential. I am willing to be patient with Ross but we need a true backup centre for these new lineups to work right.
                              In other words, don't bother discussing a new starting PF unless it's a stretch 4, and instead dedicate time to figuring out what kind of backup c and lock down backup 3&D we can get for a combo of hands, fields, Steamer, picks & maybe even Ross. (although he will come around and we will regret letting him go in the trade)
                              Just to clarify, this is the structure I have in mind...

Lowry / Vasquez
                              DD / Lou
                              JJ / 3&D (or Ross) / bruno
                              2pat / Amir
                              JV / upgraded backup c / Bebe

The first thing in my mind is to go get Gerald Green, Miles Plumlee, and Tyler Ennis from Phoenix. Although I'm unsure how greens defence is, I'm pretty sure both him and miles are short term contracts, which if we chose we could extend or let them go so we have 2016 cap space. Plus by the end of next year Bruno and Bebe should be ready for better rotation minutes and I'm sure they will be better suited to be our backup 3 & 5.

Comment

• Scraptor wrote: View Post
                                Faried is a pretty bad pick and roll defender, while Amir is an excellent pick and roll defender. This is something that doesn't really show up in stats.

Here are some examples

Amir has in years past been our number one defender by a wide margin. He's hobbled this year but is still a better positional defender than Faried.

Faried has the glamorous rebound numbers but there's a lot more to defense than that.
                                He's been hobbled a lot. It's too bad. I guess I tend to watch players as individual defenders. And I don't find Amir to be very good man defender. I'll watch rotations, team defense more to see what people talk about. Do Amir's stats point to him holding opposing PF's below their averages or are we strictly saying he's an excellent team defender? How does he fare against the best PF's in the league? It must be pretty good if he's a very good defender.

Comment

Working...
                                X