Jonas Valancuinas - By the Numbers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jonas Valancuinas - By the Numbers

When we actually dig into the numbers it’s pretty glaring the disparity between Jonas’s stats in the first three quarters vs. his numbers in the 4th. The most noticeable difference is his defensive efficiency - 118.3 in the 4th quarter vs. 105.5 in the first three. The Raptors as a team have a 4th Quarter DefRtg of 106.5 – good enough for 23rd in the league. For a team that preaches defense, and makes decisions predicated on this philosophy, their execution is terrible. The greatest unknown however, is how the team DefRtg would be affected if Jonas received consistent 4th quarter minutes. Would the law of averages begin to skew his 4th quarter numbers towards the mean?
    Full Article: http://sportsranthouse.blogspot.ca/2...lanciunas.html

It's a snipped form a larger article I wrote about the numbers behind Jonas's fourth quarter woes.

don't really see how these numbers could be trusted at all, given how few minutes he's gotten in the 4th in addition to the fact that the second ANYBODY on the team fucks up on defence, Casey yanks JV.

Comment

In essence I agree with what you're saying, but the numbers are what they are. It's the true measure of what our eyes see vs. what's actually taking place. His defense has been terrible, but what you're saying is essentially my argument. Because of the small sample size, his playing time shouldn't be based on these statistics. Development should trump what advanced stats tell us sometimes

Comment

http://probballreport.com/raptors-jo...s-coach-casey/

another good article
        "Bruno?
        Heh, if he is in the D-league still in a few years I will be surprised.
        He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

You can also make the case that he's not good in crunch time because he's so nervous/excited/scared/hesitant that he's actually in there, and knows the hook is imminent
          9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

Man...he's such a good kid. He has every reason to be at least a little upset about his situation. However he's just upbeat, happy to learn and be part of a positive, winning environment.

Comment

KeonClark wrote: View Post
              You can also make the case that he's not good in crunch time because he's so nervous/excited/scared/hesitant that he's actually in there, and knows the hook is imminent
              You could try to make that case, but I would think you're stretching to try to put more blame on Casey than he deserves.
              That is a normal collar. Move on, find a new slant.

Comment

People are always happy giving the usual.....

"it takes longer to develop big men"

And thats cool, because really, its as true a statement that exists in the NBA.

Whats kinda funny is this, you get one, finally, he's like 22, and he's a raw, still with tonnes of potential, and you wanna hate on the coach for doing just that DEVELOPING him.

Patience man. Period.

JV has the potential to be one of the best in his position, but you need to let it happen over time, this isn't a race.

Comment

Never heard anything negative about Jv's personality and probably with goosd reason.

The worst is he gets frustrated with himself and the ref's at times. Can't blame him.

He know basketball better than me or any of us.

I'm sure he doesn't enjoy getting so little burn in the 4th, but he knows the guys replacing him have played well.

He's getting better and his time to truly shine is coming.
                  If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

Superjudge wrote: View Post
                    People are always happy giving the usual.....

"it takes longer to develop big men"

And thats cool, because really, its as true a statement that exists in the NBA.

Whats kinda funny is this, you get one, finally, he's like 22, and he's a raw, still with tonnes of potential, and you wanna hate on the coach for doing just that DEVELOPING him.

Patience man. Period.

JV has the potential to be one of the best in his position, but you need to let it happen over time, this isn't a race.
                    JV is developing in spite of Casey as far as I'm concerned.

Comment

KHD wrote: View Post
                      JV is developing in spite of Casey as far as I'm concerned.
                      Hater.

Good work on the analysis by original poster. Won't fit narrative so will be dismissed. If showed opposite it would be the proof we have been waiting for.

Comment

Working...
                      X