Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who's going to be the new head coach of the Toronto Raptors?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LJ2 wrote: View Post
    Still no announcement on a new coach. Could the Raps be focused on someone from one of the teams still in the playoffs?
    Some report a day or two ago said the Raptors are going through a second set of interviews soon.. but they are going to take their time. Masai however in his press conference said that he hoped to have a new coach by the draft. That's still a whole month away.

Comment

• Primer wrote: View Post

He's also known for working with Harden and Durant. They are pretty good.
      KD and Harden use his summer runs as does Paul George.. but its not like Rico is developing those guys. Those guys are developed. They use the runs to help them get some cardio in during the summer. It's like Harden doing the Drew League every year.

Rico has never been known to help develop someone into a stud outside of Pascal. The entire Raptor team basically went down last year too (we saw numerous videos of his). But the fact every young Raptor had a down year this year doesn't really help his cause.

I'm not convinced though. I think he was here for Pascal and him staying is a big sign to me that Pascal isn't going anywhere.

If Pascal is moved than I'd be surprised as to why they kept Rico on to be honest. Prior to Toronto he was in Sacramento, and that team has been a gong show up until this year (the year he left).

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post

KD and Harden use his summer runs as does Paul George.. but its not like Rico is developing those guys. Those guys are developed. They use the runs to help them get some cardio in during the summer. It's like Harden doing the Drew League every year.

Rico has never been known to help develop someone into a stud outside of Pascal. The entire Raptor team basically went down last year too (we saw numerous videos of his). But the fact every young Raptor had a down year this year doesn't really help his cause.

I'm not convinced though. I think he was here for Pascal and him staying is a big sign to me that Pascal isn't going anywhere.

If Pascal is moved than I'd be surprised as to why they kept Rico on to be honest. Prior to Toronto he was in Sacramento, and that team has been a gong show up until this year (the year he left).
        You could be on to something with Rico… and Earl. They have some ego and self-promotion vibe to them. And Raptors never leaked to the media until Rico arrived. What was the big leak? About Scottie skipping Rico runs in the summer. Who benefits from that leak? Hmmm.

Earl also has that strong small man’s syndrome vibe. They have an agenda. Raps should’ve let both of them go.

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post

Raptors situation is not attractive to a top end coach. Not a legit contender. Not a team with a lot of young talent. Not even a rebuild situation with draft picks and cap space to improve. Literally stuck in the middle with a "4/5th seed ceiling".
          I agree. And too many question marks on the roster including who is even going to be here. I wouldn't come here if I was Jama and had any sort of inside track in Golden State. Wouldn't come here if I was Udoka with the potential in Houston, wouldn't if I were Hammon as this would end her NBA career

Comment

They are waiting for Nurse to come off the books.

But Nurse is also waiting to see if any other job openings pop up…. especially the Celtics.

He can get a nice auction going for his services to urgent win-now teams (e.g. Celtics, Lakers, Suns, Bucks, Sixers).
            What does Nurse coming off the books have to do with hiring a new coach? If Nurse gets a job after Raps hire someone won't what we owe him still come off the books?

Comment

What does Nurse coming off the books have to do with hiring a new coach? If Nurse gets a job after Raps hire someone won't what we owe him still come off the books?
              If Nurse takes a year off then we’re getting an el cheapo rookie coach.

Comment

If Nurse takes a year off then we’re getting an el cheapo rookie coach.
                You think? MLSE have some pretty deep pockets and if they are still in compete mode they probably don't skimp. Now if all the good coaches land at more desirable locations and Raps are picking from what's left then it could end up being a relatively cheap hire.

Comment

You think? MLSE have some pretty deep pockets and if they are still in compete mode they probably don't skimp. Now if all the good coaches land at more desirable locations and Raps are picking from what's left then it could end up being a relatively cheap hire.
                  I think you just answered the question.

This is why the coaching net has been casted so wide. It is unlikely the Raptors will sign an established well known NBA head coach and pay him a lot of money to coach this unproven bunch especially since the direction of the franchise is still needs to be determined (even though they are saying they want to compete at a high level next season, they still need to sign a bunch of their own high profile free agents and be creative in the trade market to even do that).

Most likely an up and coming strategist coach with new way of thinking that never coached in the NBA that they could give him or her (becky) a standard 3 year deal for a try-out.

Comment

• The Great One wrote: View Post

Mike Miller was the 2001 Rookie Of the Year. He averaged 16ppg in 2003. Gooden averaged 14 and 8. Garrity averaged 14ppg. Giricek averaged 14ppg. Armstrong averaged 10ppg.

So you're wrong.
                    Not wrong, it's a decidedly average group supporting cast who scored a few extra points on a crappy team vs thier career averages, which flushes out that fact. In fact, 42 wins is probably overacheiving for this crappy team.
                    This team vs a bunch of vets on the pistons? No chance for any coach, shouldn't have been up 3-1 to begin with.

Comment

• Let’s go with Chris Quinn

Comment

• Would guess that a number of potential candidates for the Raptors job may be think that the Boston job might also be available shortly

Comment

• The Boston gig is a bit of a pressure cooker though. Demanding fans and lots of media focus.

Comment

• The Claw Reborn wrote: View Post
                            Let’s go with Chris Quinn
                            Quinn has never been a head coach anywhere, even G-League. He’s a complete dice roll. Heat Culture won’t work without Pat Riley.

Comment

Quinn has never been a head coach anywhere, even G-League. He’s a complete dice roll. Heat Culture won’t work without Pat Riley.
                              If we hire Quinn I'd be excited about it. Not enough info for me to not be. Gotta assume he crushed the interview if he gets the job.

Comment

Does he have to be player–assistant coach for TuS Herten, a professional basketball club based in Westphalia, Germany or a coach of local youth team before he can coach in the NBA?

Spoelstra coaching resume was meh before he got an offer for the video coordinator of the Heat.

Golden the trickster and the never ending cynic of RR forum ….LOL.

The experience of Quinn as an assistant coach of the Heat should be more than enough to elevate his status as a Head Coach. May it be with the Raptors or somewhere else. Pat Riley’s “culture” or not.

I think if the Raptors would hire him, should start the ball rolling for Masai and Webster offseason change of culture as well imho.

Comment

Working...
                                X