Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who's going to be the new head coach of the Toronto Raptors?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• golden wrote: View Post

Consultant driven or budget driven?

I’ve also said a few times that I suspect they’re waiting for Nurse to come off the books to see how much they can pay a coach.

I could be way off base here, but the whole long and drawn out “cast a wide net” search could just be a cover for ‘waiting on Nick’.

That said, Masai selling parity now instead of championships was a clear change in tone.
    If we are going from Nick Nurse to Steve Nash, that's a poverty type of franchise move

Really after an impressive NBA career, I have yet to be impressed by Steve's achievement that only got him places because of his name. Really didn't do anything worthy with team Canada very hands off approach and completely lost the locker room with the Nets while having 3 hall of famers on the team. As soon as he left the team, the Nets started winning again.

Comment

• Hotshot wrote: View Post

If we are going from Nick Nurse to Steve Nash, that's a poverty type of franchise move

Really after an impressive NBA career, I have yet to be impressed by Steve's achievement that only got him places because of his name. Really didn't do anything worthy with team Canada very hands off approach and completely lost the locker room with the Nets while having 3 hall of famers on the team. As soon as he left the team, the Nets started winning again.
      Amen.

Hiring Nash and he fails which I think may most likely to happen would usher the way of Masai out of Canada.

I cannot believe that they have considered Nash as a candidate.

Comment

• The Claw Reborn wrote: View Post

Amen.

Hiring Nash and he fails which I think may most likely to happen would usher the way of Masai out of Canada.

I cannot believe that they have considered Nash as a candidate.
        I believe it's a simple PR move like the JJ Redick interview to prolong the process. They might be waiting for NN to sign somewhere or even for other candidates like Monty Williams to come back from his family vacation to see if he is the best guy for the job.

Comment

Consultant driven or budget driven?

I’ve also said a few times that I suspect they’re waiting for Nurse to come off the books to see how much they can pay a coach.

I could be way off base here, but the whole long and drawn out “cast a wide net” search could just be a cover for ‘waiting on Nick’.

That said, Masai selling parity now instead of championships was a clear change in tone.
          I don't think we're waiting for Nurse to come off the books (it makes no sense), but Nurse is the big free agent that has to drop before all the other coaches start getting hired. He's most likely every teams first choice, and we're most likely no coach's first choice, so everyone is waiting on Nurse to pick his job so they can see what's left.

The Nurse domino needs to fall first.

Not like everyone else has hired a coach yet, every team is waiting.
          Last edited by Primer; Mon May 22, 2023, 07:31 PM.

Comment

• I'm cool with Nash. Who knows might help lure some Canuck that's still playing in the league, like SGA

Ultimately it feels like they are going cheap. Nash got a 4 year, $35M contract from the Nets. But I suspect that was guaranteed. So we could likely get him for a cheap deal. Almost like a buy out. I would be surprised if there was a clause in Nick's contract that prevented him from getting his money if he got fired, and signed a new deal elsewhere. I mean maybe that's true but he signed a 4 year, $32M extension coming off his COY and title. I suspect that was all guaranteed.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post

I'm cool with Nash. Who knows might help lure some Canuck that's still playing in the league, like SGA

Ultimately it feels like they are going cheap. Nash got a 4 year, $35M contract from the Nets. But I suspect that was guaranteed. So we could likely get him for a cheap deal. Almost like a buy out. I would be surprised if there was a clause in Nick's contract that prevented him from getting his money if he got fired, and signed a new deal elsewhere. I mean maybe that's true but he signed a 4 year, $32M extension coming off his COY and title. I suspect that was all guaranteed.
              No offense but this is a weird post coming from you.

Lots of opinion for 1 post especially the first sentence from a guy who is high and hell water that coaching does not matter.

If that is the case, then just hire him as a team liaison with the no.1 on his job description: lure Canadian players

LOL

Comment

No offense but this is a weird post coming from you.

Lots of opinion for 1 post especially the first sentence from a guy who is high and hell water that coaching does not matter.

If that is the case, then just hire him as a team liaison with the no.1 on his job description: lure Canadian players

LOL
                If you know my position on coaching then you know that I don't care who the coach is. Nash was my favourite player in the NBA (after Jordan). So would be super cool seeing him on the side lines of my favourite team.

Comment

I'm cool with Nash. Who knows might help lure some Canuck that's still playing in the league, like SGA

If you recall, the reports were that money was holding up the firing of Nurse in the first place. Raps were hoping he’d quit and come off the books, but Nurse wasn’t going to quit unless he had a guaranteed deal (from reportedly interest from the Rockets at the time). Raps had to blink first, and here we are in limbo.

Udoka going to the Rockets may have scuttled both Nurse’s and Masai’s plans.

Comment

If you recall, the reports were that money was holding up the firing of Nurse in the first place. Raps were hoping he’d quit and come off the books, but Nurse wasn’t going to quit unless he had a guaranteed deal (from reportedly interest from the Rockets at the time). Raps had to blink first, and here we are in limbo.

Udoka going to the Rockets may have scuttled both Nurse’s and Masai’s plans.
                    Typically when you quit you have to give money back.. same as any real job. If you get fired you get severance. In this case, Nurse likely got his full paycheck.. just like Nash most likely did too. I don't think they are waiting on anyone. Masai loves to take his time. He took like 2 months to hire Nurse after Casey was fired. Same timeline here.. and they are likely going through even more candidates this time.

Comment

If you know my position on coaching then you know that I don't care who the coach is. Nash was my favourite player in the NBA (after Jordan). So would be super cool seeing him on the side lines of my favourite team.
                      This is a weak rebuttal from an opinionated person who talks strongly that coaching does not matter

If you want him on the side line of your favorite team, a team liaison is a nice position but not a coach, maybe the understudy of Wayne Embry.

No. 1 Job Description: Market the Raptors as a great franchise for Canadian Players

Comment

This is a weak rebuttal from an opinionated person who talks strongly that coaching does not matter

If you want him on the side line of your favorite team, a team liaison is a nice position but not a coach, maybe the understudy of Wayne Embry.

No. 1 Job Description: Market the Raptors as a great franchise for Canadian Players
                        I provided a rebuttal? Are we actually debating/arguing? I don't care who the coach is. But if it was Nash it would be cool because he's Canadian who helped mentor a lot of Canadian NBA players in the game. He was also one of my favourite players to watch.

Plus I think he's on the list because he's likely a cheap target (as he's likely still being paid by the Nets). And my opinion is they are looking at cheap hires. Maybe I'm wrong there.. but I'm not really arguing about it. Just an opinion.

Comment

I provided a rebuttal? Are we actually debating/arguing? I don't care who the coach is. But if it was Nash it would be cool because he's Canadian who helped mentor a lot of Canadian NBA players in the game. He was also one of my favourite players to watch.

Plus I think he's on the list because he's likely a cheap target (as he's likely still being paid by the Nets). And my opinion is they are looking at cheap hires. Maybe I'm wrong there.. but I'm not really arguing about it. Just an opinion.
                          Dude I hope you re-read your first post and this one.

If they are hiring Nash as a coach because it would be cool especially he is Canadian and he could be cheap. If these are the main qualifications, then maybe Masai really have the same wavelength like you, “coaching does not matter”.

Comment

I think it's just good PR at this point. By giving someone like Nash a bit of clout & respect after a disastrous season with the Nets, it helps to keep his name afloat for longer which may help him get an interview to another position in another organization. When you have good relations with staff in another organization, it makes dealing players or getting the 411 on them much easier. Sort of the good relationship the Raptors develop with the Spurs organization ever since the Kawhi trade.

Comment

• Steve Nash, JJ Redick, Becky Hammon, Steve Atkinson...LOL..
                              What the F&^^...
                              Honestly we should of just kept Nurse...Franchise is turning into Clown old Sacramento...and they turning into Raptors.
                              Is this a Dream or Twilight Zone...
                              This is Embarrassing...
                              Quinn in Maimi is doing a hell of a job, thats the guy get, if MLS want 2 go the cheap route.. I hear Dubas was gone bc he wanted more money..Nurse wanted more money.. What u expect from MLSE..only ppl that were happy 2 have luxury cap tax nba and NHL hard Cap is MLSE...
                              CHEAP F^$$$...
                              "Never apologize for coming to me. Office hours are for patients.
                              My kitchen is always open to friends"

Comment

• I want Rana first Indian head coach. Hes a winner well respected by his players i think thats why he was player personnel coach in sac

or lowry

Comment

Working...
                                X