Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who's going to be the new head coach of the Toronto Raptors?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• chris wrote: View Post

what is your point? is the insinuation that no one who has ever worked for spoelstra can have success as a head coach?

we should also eliminate hammon then and anyone who has ever sat on pop's bench from the search because jim boylen was a disaster in chicago.

jama and atkinson are intriguing cadidates we should strike from the list because luke walton did not fair well in sacramento.

bjorkgren was bad in indiana so we can't look in house either.

etc. etc.
    My original point was that Quinn has no head coaching experience. Not even G-League (like Jama, Nurse, etc…) or NCAA (like Stevens, etc…) or even WNBA (Hammon). Quinn has only been an assistant in a highly structured and environment.

The player-coach dynamic is completely different when you have control of a player’s minutes and their role, which impacts how much they get paid.

Not saying he can’t be a successful example like Spo and Bud… but there’s no point of reference for success, other than he is Spo’s lead assistant.

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post

My original point was that Quinn has no head coaching experience. Not even G-League (like Jama, Nurse, etc…) or NCAA (like Stevens, etc…) or even WNBA (Hammon). Quinn has only been an assistant in a highly structured and environment.

The player-coach dynamic is completely different when you have control of a player’s minutes and their role, which impacts how much they get paid.

Not saying he can’t be a successful example like Spo and Bud… but there’s no point of reference for success, other than he is Spo’s lead assistant.
      Success at any non NBA level as a head coach doesn't always translate to being a good NBA Head Coach. I'd say they have the same success rate as any other head coaching hires. So doesn't make sense to focus on it. I think it all comes down to the interviews, which unfortunately we aren't privy to.

Comment

• Primer wrote: View Post

Success at any non NBA level as a head coach doesn't always translate to being a good NBA Head Coach. I'd say they have the same success rate as any other head coaching hires. So doesn't make sense to focus on it. I think it all comes down to the interviews, which unfortunately we aren't privy to.
        Interviews can be deceiving too. Apparently Nate Bjorkgren absolutely crushed his interviews with the Pacers.

Reference checks and past history are often better indicators of future success. It can work the other way too… a great candidate can have a bad day at the wrong time.

Comment

• [QUOTE=golden;n1476670]

Interviews can be deceiving too. Apparently Nate Bjorkgren absolutely crushed his interviews with the Pacers.

Reference checks and past history are often better indicators of future success. It can work the other way too… a great candidate can have a bad day at the wrong time.[/QUOTE

I haven’t watched all of season 3 yet but Nate Bjorkgren reminds me of coach Nate on Ted Lasso. People think he’s a wonder kid or brilliant mind but his people skills are awful.

Comment

• Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

fair enough, but the bold there is a significant caveat for me. he's been the lead assistant for the most creative coaching staff in the league that consistently squeezes the most out of rosters that appear to be pretty limited.

that experience doesn't guarantee he'll pan out as a head coach but it warrants giving him a shot imo, provided he ticks other boxes (like interviewing well, connecting with the players he's coached in miami, etc).

Comment

• MixxAOR wrote: View Post

Well, at least Nash has paid his dues and would bring some head coaching experience with him, this time around. He has a winning record too. Also has the clout to tell a guy like Fred to play team ball.

Apparently Nash never wanted to be a head coach but Sean Marks was persistent. Probably wants to clear his name.

Damn, this would be the quintessential Bryan Colangelo move.

Comment

• i don't love it but i'm also not sure it's fair to completely dismiss nash as a coach based on his time with the nets. that was an impossible situation with players that flat out quit on him to get him fired at the beginning of this season. his first two seasons were somewhat underwhelming but they did ok when they were healthy

Comment

• chris wrote: View Post
                    i don't love it but i'm also not sure it's fair to completely dismiss nash as a coach based on his time with the nets. that was an impossible situation with players that flat out quit on him to get him fired at the beginning of this season. his first two seasons were somewhat underwhelming but they did ok when they were healthy
                    If we go Nash we better go youth movement. I think he'd fair a lot better with up and coming players than guys focused on being All-NBA to maximize their next contract.

Comment

• Primer wrote: View Post

If we go Nash we better go youth movement. I think he'd fair a lot better with up and coming players than guys focused on being All-NBA to maximize their next contract.
                      yeah i'm all for going youth movement anyways regardless of who the coach is, but i'm not sure his brooklyn tenure is any indication that he can't get the most out of veteran guys... just that he couldn't get the most out of three veteran guys in particular who quit on him who also happen to have rep's as coach killers.

Comment

• J Kidd helped Giannis become a point forward. Good chance Stevie could do the same for Scottie. If I was interviewing that would be my pitch.
                        To be the champs you got to beat the champs

Comment

• bertarapsfan wrote: View Post
                          J Kidd helped Giannis become a point forward. Good chance Stevie could do the same for Scottie. If I was interviewing that would be my pitch.
                          Scottie’s already averaging almost 5 assists per game. He is already a legit point forward. Where he needs the most help is shooting.

Comment

• MixxAOR wrote: View Post

What's surprising to me is why Nash still has his eyes set on coaching after the Nets disaster and his initial reluctance to coaching.

Comment

Reference checks and past history are often better indicators of future success. It can work the other way too… a great candidate can have a bad day at the wrong time.
                              You never know when you hire someone.

Comment

Scottie’s already averaging almost 5 assists per game. He is already a legit point forward. Where he needs the most help is shooting.
                                Imagine if he actually got to handle the ball intiatie to offense. Most of those assists are coming off fast breaks out of the post.
                                To me a head coach search should pitch how they want to utilize this roster. If Nash pitch is to make Scottie the primary ball handler and focus on him playing a role similar to him in Phx that could be interesting. A head coach isn't going to improve his shooting. That for Scottie and a shooting coach to work on. Only thing coach can do is give a green light.
                                To be the champs you got to beat the champs

Comment

Working...
                                X