Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who's going to be the new head coach of the Toronto Raptors?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• golden wrote: View Post

The other problem with Bud is his price tag, which is probably the biggest problem for MLSE.
    yeah i couldn't care less what a coach gets paid because it doesn't constrain the roster construction the same way a player's salary does, but can appreciate that MLSE probably doesn't see it the same way

Comment

• Not hearing much Sam Cassell noise but he would be a good selection too.

Comment

• I'd rather sign van vleet to a 100 year max contract then have bud be the coach
        To be the champs you got to beat the champs

Comment

The other problem with Bud is his price tag, which is probably the biggest problem for MLSE.
          My god man give it up. MLSE does not give one shit about the coaches salary. It has no bearing on anything. It's a rounding error to them.

For context to those who just popped in Golden is convinced we fired Nurse solely because he is an expensive coach. Not for the multiitidue of obvious reasons. Because he's expensive.

Comment

• just for that I would hire him
            Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

• bertarapsfan wrote: View Post
              I'd rather sign van vleet to a 100 year max contract then have bud be the coach
              Lol. Where is all this excessive Bud hate coming from?

The man has a ring, has won 60 games with 2 different franchises and turned a raw, athletic prospect (who still can’t shoot) into a 2-time MVP. He develops role players and he’s never had a stacked team.

Bud is an elite coach by any standard.

Comment

• Primer wrote: View Post

My god man give it up. MLSE does not give one shit about the coaches salary. It has no bearing on anything. It's a rounding error to them.

For context to those who just popped in Golden is convinced we fired Nurse solely because he is an expensive coach. Not for the multiitidue of obvious reasons. Because he's expensive.
                You are both making presumptions that you cannot possibly know to be true. For example, MLSE certainly does give a shit about the salaries of its employees. Does it care enough to preclude certain coaches? We can’t know the answer to that but would not dismiss it out of hand.

Comment

The man has a ring, has won 60 games with 2 different franchises and turned a raw, athletic prospect (who still can’t shoot) into a 2-time MVP. He develops role players and he’s never had a stacked team.

I’d be surprised if Bud landed in Toronto. If he wanted to be there and the Raps wanted him that badly they would have hired him 5 years ago.

Comment

• slaw wrote: View Post

You are both making presumptions that you cannot possibly know to be true. For example, MLSE certainly does give a shit about the salaries of its employees. Does it care enough to preclude certain coaches? We can’t know the answer to that but would not dismiss it out of hand.
                    No I can dismiss it out of hand. It's nonsense.

You seriously believe we fired Nurse due to his salary?????!

It's the difference of a few thousands fans in attendance of a single game between Nurse and NBA average.

Comment

Not exactly. I think Nurse wanted to be extended for multiple years at double digits and MLSE were trying to negotiate him to a lower number. Then they mutually agreed to part ways, with MLSE hoping that Nurse would quit first so he could come off the books… that was actually reported. But MLSE had to blink first and fired Nurse to get their coaching search started, with Masai expecting to get Udoka with Nurse going to tge Rockets (also widely reported). But Udoka messed them both up and now the Raps are stuck paying Nurse until he finds another job… which looks highly likely.

My main point is that I believe they have a budget allocated for the coaching slot. They’re not going to pay Nurse $8M a year to sit at home and simultaneously pay a guy like Bud or Monty another $8M year to coach the team.

If the Raps land a coach before Nurse gets hired, then it will be a cheap hire. If Nurse gets his job quickly, then we could see a more expensive guy like Bud or Monty, if there was mutual interest.

slaw probably knows more, but I don’t believe they look at $8M like a rounding error. That seems like wishful thinking.

Comment

• So if Nurse is hired by another team, they will pay the rest of his contract? That's really how it works?

Comment

• MixxAOR wrote: View Post
                          So if Nurse is hired by another team, they will pay the rest of his contract? That's really how it works?
                          Some language would have to be in the contract. Nurse likely gets paid regardless by the Raptors since Nurse didn't breach it (ie, quit before the contract ran out). I'm sure Nurse got a 4 year guarantee. He was coming off both a championship and a COY when he extended.

But could be wrong.

Comment

i would not consider bud an elite coach overall. i think he is elite at implementing a system conducive to regular season success, but has repeatedly been figured out in the playoffs and he is either incapable or too stubborn to make any adjustments.

the fact that he won a title means little to me. i think they won in spite of him and probably should have won more titles. clearly the bucks management feels the same way so they fired him. (and in the title they did win their stiffest competition was the nets and suns - two other teams with what i would consider questionable coaching. they were lucky in that run that they didn't have to face a team that was both talented and well coached).

to use a ryen rusillo analogy - joe flacco won a superbowl, so does that mean that he's a fucking awesome quarterback and that the ravens were justified in making him the highest paid player in the league at the time? of course not, they just had enough talent to get by overall with him.

and to extend that analogy... does flacco winning a superbowl mean quarterback play doesn't matter in the nfl? also no

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post

Some language would have to be in the contract. Nurse likely gets paid regardless by the Raptors since Nurse didn't breach it (ie, quit before the contract ran out). I'm sure Nurse got a 4 year guarantee. He was coming off both a championship and a COY when he extended.

But could be wrong.
                              Yeah if he quit, a buyout would've been negotiated but since he got fired Raptors are paying off his "severance" pay. But if he gets hired or not I thought they would still pay him regardless

Comment

She makes $1M per year, which puts her at half what the lowest paid coach in the NBA makes. She would easily make $4-5M per year as an NBA coach. Sign a 4-5 year deal at those numbers and she earns more on her first NBA contract than she would her entire career as a wnba coach. The money is just orders of magnitude different and she would be a freaking idiot to say no to an NBA offer.
                                She's not under consideration any longer, not just in Toronto but any NBA team right now imo. See the Suns list as an example. Too politically charged and she did the damage to herself. Even assuming that she's the best candidate available, the points/optics to make history hire the first women head coach in the NBA are more than negated by even the chance she bullied a pregnant subordinate. Hard pass, never mind the perceived lack of interest on her part..

Comment

Working...
                                X