Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who's going to be the new head coach of the Toronto Raptors?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• golden wrote: View Post

Not exactly. I think Nurse wanted to be extended for multiple years at double digits and MLSE were trying to negotiate him to a lower number. Then they mutually agreed to part ways, with MLSE hoping that Nurse would quit first so he could come off the books… that was actually reported. But MLSE had to blink first and fired Nurse to get their coaching search started, with Masai expecting to get Udoka with Nurse going to tge Rockets (also widely reported). But Udoka messed them both up and now the Raps are stuck paying Nurse until he finds another job… which looks highly likely.

My main point is that I believe they have a budget allocated for the coaching slot. They’re not going to pay Nurse $8M a year to sit at home and simultaneously pay a guy like Bud or Monty another $8M year to coach the team.

If the Raps land a coach before Nurse gets hired, then it will be a cheap hire. If Nurse gets his job quickly, then we could see a more expensive guy like Bud or Monty, if there was mutual interest.

slaw probably knows more, but I don’t believe they look at $8M like a rounding error. That seems like wishful thinking.
    Nurse's contract doesn't state we don't have to pay him if he works elsewhere. We fired him and owe the entire deal regardless. That's always how it works when you fire a coach. If he quit it's different.

So your whole premise is absolute nonsense. We would pay less for coaching if we kept him.

Comment

• Rudy Bargnani wrote: View Post
      Not hearing much Sam Cassell noise but he would be a good selection too.
      two red flags to me with cassell:

1. he's only ever worked for flip saunders and randy whitman on some absolutely terrible wizards teams, and with doc since 2014. are those great mentors?

2. he's been an assistant forever. almost 15 years. why hasn't he been given an opportunity yet? i can't even remember him being rumoured to be a leading candidate before, except for minor speculation about teams that have fired doc

Comment

• G____Deane wrote: View Post

She's not under consideration any longer, not just in Toronto but any NBA team right now imo. See the Suns list as an example. Too politically charged and she did the damage to herself. Even assuming that she's the best candidate available, the points/optics to make history hire the first women head coach in the NBA are more than negated by even the chance she bullied a pregnant subordinate. Hard pass, never mind the perceived lack of interest on her part..
        You must have a bone to pick with Hammon. Taking gigantic leaps that make no sense.

She criticized a player for being lazy and using pregnancy as an excuse. That's how I read it. My wife worked just as hard if not harder right up until she went into labor. That's 100% standard in USA where we have zero paid parental leave.

Comment

Lol. Where is all this excessive Bud hate coming from?

The man has a ring, has won 60 games with 2 different franchises and turned a raw, athletic prospect (who still can’t shoot) into a 2-time MVP. He develops role players and he’s never had a stacked team.

Bud is an elite coach by any standard.
          Bud is white Dwayne Casey. Dude is allergic to making playoff adjustment. Once raps put kawhi on giannis in game 3 it was over. He didn't know how to respond.
          To be the champs you got to beat the champs

Comment

• bertarapsfan wrote: View Post

Bud is white Dwayne Casey. Dude is allergic to making playoff adjustment. Once raps put kawhi on giannis in game 3 it was over. He didn't know how to respond.
            Bud is WAY WAY better than Casey.

I guess everyone has amnesia and forgot what he did with a very mediocre Atlanta team.

Bud is much closer to Nurse than Casey.

I guarantee if Bud had been Detroit's coach the whole time instead of Casey they'd be a playoff team already and not the NBA worst team.

Comment

• MixxAOR wrote: View Post
              So if Nurse is hired by another team, they will pay the rest of his contract? That's really how it works?
              If Nurse sits out a year, then the Raps are on the hook for his $8M.
              If he signs with another team, I believe the Raps are on the hook for the difference (if any) for the one year. If he signs for $8M or more for any number of years, they're off the hook I believe. You can't skirt the issue by signing a 10X4 year deal but back loading it since it will be based by AAV. To be confrmed.

Just to be clear, if you're fired and owed $8M and sign with a new team for $8M, you don't make $16 the next year, the prior team gets relief.
              Last edited by G____Deane; Wed May 24, 2023, 05:51 PM.

Comment

• Bud might be the only name tossed around that I would not want. I don't know enough about others mentioned, but I never liked the way bud utilized giannis and not sure I'd want scottie utilized in a similar way. Maybe it would be different here, but I'd be concerned.

Comment

• Primer wrote: View Post

You must have a bone to pick with Hammon. Taking gigantic leaps that make no sense.

She criticized a player for being lazy and using pregnancy as an excuse. That's how I read it. My wife worked just as hard if not harder right up until she went into labor. That's 100% standard in USA where we have zero paid parental leave.
                  You're totally ignoring optics here. She was being set up as a history making first female NBA head coach that some teams would look favorably at, as much for the feel good optics and progressive vibes as the quality of the coaching acumen. To deny that is naive.

You can be fired just for making someone feel bad these days, for using the wrong damn pronoun. Becky treated a pregnant subordinate unprofessionally, a fact confirmed by her own league investigation to the point where they suspended her. The words "bullied and manipulated" and "respect in the workplace violation" were used.

This is in addition to the rescission of the Ace's 2025 first round draft pick following an investigation that found they/she violated league rules regarding impermissible player benefits and workplace policies. This speaks to character as well.

These are giant red flags in 2023, especially for a image minded team owner like MLSE and I think it's why she seems so hostile to the questions about leaving the WNBA for the NBA.....no one is calling. The Suns said she didn't even make the short list and I highly doubt she's being considered here. And I said before that if was the best candidate, I'd hire here.

Comment

• Primer wrote: View Post

Nurse's contract doesn't state we don't have to pay him if he works elsewhere. We fired him and owe the entire deal regardless. That's always how it works when you fire a coach. If he quit it's different.

So your whole premise is absolute nonsense. We would pay less for coaching if we kept him.
                    No. Most contracts at this level have something call a “set-off” clause, which only makes the team pay the difference between the new salary and old salary, if he gets re-hired during the same term. So if Nurse gets hired by the Bucks at $7M per year, the Raps would be only on the hook for $1M next year.

But that won’t even be a problem because Nurse is getting a raise this off-season.

edit: what Deaner said. Lol.

Comment

• bertarapsfan wrote: View Post

The lack of adjustments knock on Bud is somewhat valid, but way overblown. You can’t win a championship at the NBA level without making adjustments. Bud has a ring, and he did it with a player who has enough flaws that opposing teams can make adjustments to neutralize.

Comment

• JawsGT wrote: View Post
                        Bud might be the only name tossed around that I would not want. I don't know enough about others mentioned, but I never liked the way bud utilized giannis and not sure I'd want scottie utilized in a similar way. Maybe it would be different here, but I'd be concerned.
                        Lol, what? Bud has completely optimized and unlocked Giannis in ways that nobody saw coming. If your complaint is that he doesn’t run Giannis into the ground (ie. use him enough) by playing him 40 minutes a game, like Nurse, then that’s valid.

Bud can’t make Giannis a better FT or 3-or shooter. He hasn’t written a book on shooting or have his own branded shooting ball.

Comment

• Like This...if u think Chris Quinn should be the Raptors New Head Coach.
                          I think he would be perfect..
                          "Never apologize for coming to me. Office hours are for patients.
                          My kitchen is always open to friends"

Comment

• G____Deane wrote: View Post

If Nurse sits out a year, then the Raps are on the hook for his $8M.
                            If he signs with another team, I believe the Raps are on the hook for the difference (if any) for the one year. If he signs for $8M or more for any number of years, they're off the hook I believe. You can't skirt the issue by signing a 10X4 year deal but back loading it since it will be based by AAV. To be confrmed.

Just to be clear, if you're fired and owed $8M and sign with a new team for $8M, you don't make $16 the next year, the prior team gets relief.
                            That may or may not be true, and is dependent on the contract Nurse signed with the Raptors. Typically most coach's contracts are guaranteed. It's not like an NBA buyout that has rules which are agreed upon by the CBA. There is no CBA for coaching.

I doubt Nurse would give up money to MLSE if he didn't have to, and he could very much make $16M next year. But again it would depend on the contract. Didn't he sign that extension with Klutch? If that's the case then he's definitely not giving money back.

Comment

Lol, what? Bud has completely optimized and unlocked Giannis in ways that nobody saw coming. If your complaint is that he doesn’t run Giannis into the ground (ie. use him enough) by playing him 40 minutes a game, like Nurse, then that’s valid.

Bud can’t make Giannis a better FT or 3-or shooter. He hasn’t written a book on shooting or have his own branded shooting ball.
                              Giannis should have guarded Jimmy Butler. That was the adjustment much like when Nurse put Kawhi on Giannis in 2019.
                              Giannis is arguably the best defender in the world
                              and not making that adjustment made Milwaukee fans lose their minds.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post

That may or may not be true, and is dependent on the contract Nurse signed with the Raptors. Typically most coach's contracts are guaranteed. It's not like an NBA buyout that has rules which are agreed upon by the CBA. There is no CBA for coaching.

I doubt Nurse would give up money to MLSE if he didn't have to, and he could very much make $16M next year. But again it would depend on the contract. Didn't he sign that extension with Klutch? If that's the case then he's definitely not giving money back.
                                If Nurse is still getting paid by the Raps then he’d still be under the non-compete provisions of said contract, which would mean he would need permission to sign with another team. Or he’d have to negotiate with the Raps to get out of that non-compete, which would entail giving up comp. There is very little possibility of double dipping, unless the Raps are the dumbest front office in pro sports in signing contracts.

Comment

Working...
                                X