Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who's going to be the new head coach of the Toronto Raptors?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• planetmars wrote: View Post

Were both Pascal and Fred out or just one of them?
    There were 4 games both missed and we went 2-2.

Same as the games where we only missed one of them.

So not sure how we become the NBA worst team when we're a 500 team when they were out.

Comment

• Primer wrote: View Post

There were 4 games both missed and we went 2-2.

Same as the games where we only missed one of them.

So not sure how we become the NBA worst team when we're a 500 team when they were out.
      Who did they play? Did you include that last game against the Bucks? I hope not.

Comment

Oh trust me people will be calling for heads. They are doing that now.
        OK, no one who matters then.
        twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post

OK, no one who matters then.
          MLSE is the only one that matters. They own the bloody team. And yeah, a little less revenue and not having a draft pick to fall back on.. and then hearing it from fans + media. That's a pressure point.

Comment

MLSE is the only one that matters. They own the bloody team. And yeah, a little less revenue and not having a draft pick to fall back on.. and then hearing it from fans + media. That's a pressure point.
            I suspect them rolling in money is plenty enough to quiet their concerns, and they have plenty of reason to just let Masai do whatever he wants. And with the state of the NBA right now, they will be rolling in money no matter what.
            twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

I suspect them rolling in money is plenty enough to quiet their concerns, and they have plenty of reason to just let Masai do whatever he wants. And with the state of the NBA right now, they will be rolling in money no matter what.
              It's a board.. there will be guys on that board that will not be happy with the Raptors situation if they "rebuild" and not get rewarded for it. It really is a bad look.

Either way this is all moot. Raptors are running it back.

Comment

It's a board.. there will be guys on that board that will not be happy with the Raptors situation if they "rebuild" and not get rewarded for it. It really is a bad look.

Either way this is all moot. Raptors are running it back.
                If they trade Pascal and get a top 3 pick (the only scenario where I see them trading him), tada, got rewarded for it. Yay. Problem solved.

And I think you are way off on the board stuff. Just no reason to think they'd let childish stuff like that derail the basketball operations planning of a billion dollar franchise.
                twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

If they trade Pascal and get a top 3 pick (the only scenario where I see them trading him), tada, got rewarded for it. Yay. Problem solved.

And I think you are way off on the board stuff. Just no reason to think they'd let childish stuff like that derail the basketball operations planning of a billion dollar franchise.
                  If the plan was to rebuild you don't trade a pick for a veteran player who also happens to be entering free agency. That was a bad trade then if they just plan to trade your franchise player 2-3 months later for a rebuild package, unless you know you can get that pick back anyway via tanking (since it was protected).

If the team ends up 8th or 9th worse, and loses that pick, it means you don't have much foresight and that would make me question how good my front office is. You can call that childish all you want but that's just poor planning and pretty poor management.

Comment

Who did they play? Did you include that last game against the Bucks? I hope not.
                    Yep I included the Bucks game because it was a regular season NBA game they both missed. You forgot to give me your list of caveats as to what games do and do not count according to you.

Comment

Why would you think MLSE is ‘rolling in money’? You should talk to the people there about all the cuts the last few years. I also wouldn’t assume Masai can do ‘whatever he wants’ cause I can tell you that is categorically false.

Comment

• Primer wrote: View Post

Yep I included the Bucks game because it was a regular season NBA game they both missed. You forgot to give me your list of caveats as to what games do and do not count according to you.
                        Yea because that game is a perfect example of the type of competition a team without our two best players would play on a regular basis.

So I did my homework too. They played 4 games. They lost to to Indiana by 14. They beat Detroit by 4. They lost to Brooklyn by 14. And they beat the Bucks by 16 in the last game of the regular season where the Bucks rested all their starters.

So that makes me super confident in a team without them next year. All we have to do is play Detroit and a Bucks team without their starters and we'll do great.

Comment

• JLew update:
                          https://www.tsn.ca/nba/nick-nurse-fi...arch-1.1967375

Could get an announcement as early as this weekend.

The Raptors have narrowed down the field to three or four candidates and are scheduled to hold a final round of interviews in Toronto this week. A decision is expected by the end of next week but could come as early as this weekend.

Former Raptors assistant Sergio Scariolo, who has been coaching in his native Italy since leaving Toronto in 2021, is among the group of finalists, a source confirmed to TSN. Sacramento Kings associate head coach Jordi Fernandez also remains in consideration.

Other names in the mix have included some of the league’s top assistants, such as Milwaukee’s Charles Lee, Denver’s David Adelman, Memphis’ Darko Rajakovic, Miami’s Chris Quinn and Phoenix’s Kevin Young – who’s a frontrunner for the Suns job – in addition to a couple of unexpected names, Canadian icon and former Nets coach Steve Nash as well as NBA veteran turned ESPN analyst J.J. Redick.

Outside of re-establishing culture, something they felt like they lost under Nurse last season, Ujiri didn’t go into much detail when discussing what they would be prioritizing in their search last month.

As they get closer to naming Nurse’s successor, the sense is that they’re leaning towards an up-and-comer as opposed to a journeyman head coach. While they’ve explored the possibility of bringing in vets like Williams, Rivers, or Frank Vogel, that hasn’t gained much traction, according to a source.

Comment

• "Re-establishing culture" just sounds like feel good marketing speak. At least say winning culture
                            And
                            "up-and-comer as opposed to a journeyman head coach" means cheaper and inexperienced. How do you know they are an up-and-comer but you can guarantee that they are cheap

Comment

JLew update:
                              https://www.tsn.ca/nba/nick-nurse-fi...arch-1.1967375

Could get an announcement as early as this weekend.

Still no Jama?

You would think he’d also be very high on the Pistons coaching search list too, since Casey gave Jama his shot in the NBA.

Seems to fit the narratives that Jama is either next in line for Kerr’s job and isn’t interested in leaving the Warriors, or they didn’t grant teams permission to interview him.

Comment

If the plan was to rebuild you don't trade a pick for a veteran player who also happens to be entering free agency. That was a bad trade then if they just plan to trade your franchise player 2-3 months later for a rebuild package, unless you know you can get that pick back anyway via tanking (since it was protected).

If the team ends up 8th or 9th worse, and loses that pick, it means you don't have much foresight and that would make me question how good my front office is. You can call that childish all you want but that's just poor planning and pretty poor management.

It is? What if you are able to re-sign Jak anyway and by the third year on his deal you are competing in the playoffs with your new young core? I mean, that would clearly be the intended timeline if they reset with a post-Pascal/Fred sort of move.

This front office believes pretty heavily in developing young players in a non-tanking environment. Not sure how often they need to demonstrate that for it to be clear. So even if the clock is run out on Pascal and Fred that doesn't mean they don't add winning players in the meantime and try to stay competitive.
                                twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Working...
                                X