No announcement yet.

Game #52: San Antonio Spurs 82 - Toronto Raptors 87

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I had a good game Sunday morning in my puffer league and predicted a Raps win. Well, they won. Now it's on me to step up my performance in my Sunday morning games, just in case there is a true correlation.

They say a butterfly flapping it's wings in the pacific can lead to a hurricane in the Atlantic.

Who'd of thought a big clumsy guy slapping his size 13's on the hardwood and stumbling into a successful hook shot could lead to a Raptors win.

Comment

• That JJ corner 3 was the most ridiculous shot I've seen all season.

1. What the hell was JJ doing spotting up behind the arc?
      2. What the hell was Lowry thinking dishing it to him spotted up behind the arc?
      3. What the hell was JJ thinking taking that shot?
      4. Holy shit, it actually went in! (Considering his previous two jump shots were airballs)

Comment

• Nilanka wrote: View Post
        That JJ corner 3 was the most ridiculous shot I've seen all season.

2. What the hell was Lowry thinking dishing it to him spotted up behind the arc?
        4. Holy shit, it actually went in! (Considering his previous two jump shots were airballs)
        I believe that both of JJ's airballs this game were rushed shots at the very end of the clock well away from the basket.

Comment

• TheWaterboy wrote: View Post
          I believe that both of JJ's airballs this game were rushed shots at the very end of the clock well away from the basket.
          The guy's shooting 23% outside of 10 feet this season. Let's face it, even if he was wide open, there's a good chance he unleashes in airball

Not taking anything away from JJ last night. Just saying that corner 3 felt extremely flukey.

Comment

• Jonas is getting better at this verticality thing. Last night Spurs' bigs shot 1/8 at the rim. Game before that 3/6 and vs Nets well under 50% too.

Comment

• hotfuzz wrote: View Post
              University exams?
              Blocks for medical school.

Comment

• Nilanka wrote: View Post
                That JJ corner 3 was the most ridiculous shot I've seen all season.

TheWaterboy wrote: View Post
                Both of the airballs were step back, fade away J attempts. Thankfully he's become much more disciplined with his play than he used to be, but he still tries that or whips a no look pass into the fourth row on occasion. When he hits every single one of the "good" shots he takes, I'm fine with one or two airballs.
                "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
                  Just finished the game now. Holy shit, that was great. The last two games have been fantastic basketball.

I'll get the tiny negative out of the way early - bench almost shit the bed on that one. Completely blew it in the second Q, but just held on long enough in the 4th. Oh, and what the heck was Casey thinking leaving GV out there late in the 4th? Thank goodness he came to his senses and got Patterson in after the Spurs got up a few points.

Loved the rotations overall by Casey in this one. Finally played that lineup I (and many others) have been clamouring for for weeks - the starters this game but with PP in Amir's place. Used a nice variant of it to close the game too with Amir stepping in for JV.

James Johnson, once again, bringing everything the Raptors need. Solid and energetic defence, post offence and solid rebounding from the 3 spot. Nailed the game winning (effectively) three, and got the game clinching offensive board. Bravo, and how the heck did he end up on the bench before he got injured... Should have been the sub once DD went down, and once Ross lost his job.

Big round of applause for Valanciunas. Fantastic game. And you know what? Jack is always going on about how JV needs to calm down, stop getting upset about calls... Screw that. JV's best stretch of minutes in his entire career came immediately after he flipped on the ref for not calling that foul where he was swarmed under the basket. JV was pissed, and he made it his business to let that entire Spurs team (and particularly Tim Duncan) know it. Just crushed it defensively for the rest if the quarter, and scored down low twice in quick succession, once just straight posting Timmy D up and going to that sweet running hook shot. Glad to see him get a few minutes in the 4th with the bench to settle them down when they were ready to cough up the lead, especially since Casey wanted to go Amir/PP to end it.

Starting guards played well too - DD in particular. Driving, kicking, drawing fouls, getting right in close for the most part. Amir was solid as ever. There were stretches where there was some awkward offence, shot clock violations, guys getting trapped on the sideline, but that's the reality of a newish rotation. Once these lineups get their feet wet they'll be even more dangerous.

Finally, that was just a freaking fun game to watch. Great job on both ends, great fight, great energy. Team has started to play like they should over the past two games - these two wins are the two I've felt best about all year - there have been loads of wins this season where they got the W but my reaction was that they didn't really play that well. Not this time. Beautiful basketball for long stretches, great effort for pretty much the entire game.
                  So many good things about the game, but the absolutely most exciting/fun part for me was the DEFENSE! It was great - the Spurs had a rough start and missed some shots, then cranked up the intensity in the first part of the 2nd quarter and started whipping the ball around for wide open shots and layups the way they do. The Raps responded perfectly with much better defensive intensity, attention to detail, execution, and lots of arms up and hands in the passing lanes. When the Raps D is tuned in I think it actually matches up really well with ball movement offenses like the Spurs and Hawks. T.O. has a bunch of long, quick, mobile defenders who can get their hands in the passing lanes.

If they play D like that I'll believe in an ECF appearance.
                  "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

• Took it to the champs on their court. Really good win and a boost to their confidence. When they play defense like that I really feel like they can play with any team and win.

Comment

• wow did we finally manage to beat the sputs? haven't watched the game yet but i can't wait! love that there were no asterisks to this game too with a fully healthy sputs lineup.

Comment

• iblastoff wrote: View Post
                        wow did we finally manage to beat the sputs? haven't watched the game yet but i can't wait! love that there were no asterisks to this game too with a fully healthy sputs lineup.

Actually there is an asterisk we can add. We beat the Sputs, not the Spurs. The Spurs are a much better team

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                        OG is our king

Comment

• iblastoff wrote: View Post
                          wow did we finally manage to beat the sputs? haven't watched the game yet but i can't wait! love that there were no asterisks to this game too with a fully healthy sputs lineup.

Comment

• Good defence this game. I'm proud ! Washington getting there 3rd loss to us God willing
                            2006-07 NBA Coach of the Year

Comment

• A few things I observed:

James Johnson helped set the tone defensively. If one person plays lock-down defense effectively, it's contagious. This is especially important when that lock-down defender can stick to one of the opposing team's stars and prevent them from getting fully established (against LAC, it was Griffin; with the Spurs, it was Leonard). One of the problems with the Raptors is that none of their typical starters are good at defense or look to really establish that tone, and subsequently the lack of D let's the opposing team's star(s) get going. This is why we need JJ to start. I don't give a rats ass about spacing - we have a better shot at winning when we're playing good defense than when we're playing lights out offence. Ross partly played this role last year, but has regressed this year. I'm starting to think the playoffs, his shell-shocked performance and getting owned by Joe Johnson, traumatized the kid.

Some argue that the Spurs just missed open looks. I don't think things happen in a vacuum. They missed shots because of chance AND because the Raptors defense prevented them from getting fully comfortable. If the Spurs got comfortable shots all game, chances are they would be in better rhythm, and some of those shots they missed would have fallen at the end.

I also am very impressed how the Raptors didn't show any signs of intimidation. This is a game I surely thought was a loss. That confidence and sense of belief is something all champions have and it's great to see that developing for this team.

Comment

• Zainab wrote: View Post
                                Blocks for medical school.
                                I studied 4 months straight last year for my CFA exams. I know the feel.
                                "Stay steamy"

- Kobe

Comment

Working...
                                X