Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CNinja26 wrote: View Post
    A few things I observed:

James Johnson helped set the tone defensively. If one person plays lock-down defense effectively, it's contagious. This is especially important when that lock-down defender can stick to one of the opposing team's stars and prevent them from getting fully established (against LAC, it was Griffin; with the Spurs, it was Leonard). One of the problems with the Raptors is that none of their typical starters are good at defense or look to really establish that tone, and subsequently the lack of D let's the opposing team's star(s) get going. This is why we need JJ to start. I don't give a rats ass about spacing - we have a better shot at winning when we're playing good defense than when we're playing lights out offence. Ross partly played this role last year, but has regressed this year. I'm starting to think the playoffs, his shell-shocked performance and getting owned by Joe Johnson, traumatized the kid.

Some argue that the Spurs just missed open looks. I don't think things happen in a vacuum. They missed shots because of chance AND because the Raptors defense prevented them from getting fully comfortable. If the Spurs got comfortable shots all game, chances are they would be in better rhythm, and some of those shots they missed would have fallen at the end.

I also am very impressed how the Raptors didn't show any signs of intimidation. This is a game I surely thought was a loss. That confidence and sense of belief is something all champions have and it's great to see that developing for this team.
    Exactly. JJ is both physically and mentally an intimidating presence...and that he can guard multiple positions with those attributes is what makes him so valuable. A few of his mates have also spoken to his leadership skills in the room. Hope he stays well.

Comment

• Bendit wrote: View Post
      Exactly. JJ is both physically and mentally an intimidating presence...and that he can guard multiple positions with those attributes is what makes him so valuable. A few of his mates have also spoken to his leadership skills in the room. Hope he stays well.
      He's very good at contesting jumpshots without fouling. A lot of guys he was getting a hand up on were missing - he's so close even when he doesn't block it, he jumps beside the man and not into him, and he never makes contact on the shooting hand/arm.
      "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

• S.R. wrote: View Post
        He's very good at contesting jumpshots without fouling. A lot of guys he was getting a hand up on were missing - he's so close even when he doesn't block it, he jumps beside the man and not into him, and he never makes contact on the shooting hand/arm.
        as opposed to ross who i keep seeing fouling on 3 pointers like a stupid idiot. he always spins and recoils in the middle of the air after he realizes he touched the shooters arm.

Comment

• 6 big men on the list... Small lineups are taking over this league!

Comment

• Comment

• rocwell wrote: View Post

That is huuuuuuuuuuuuuge
              "Stop eating your sushi."
              "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
              "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
              - Jack Armstrong

Comment

• iblastoff wrote: View Post
                as opposed to ross who i keep seeing fouling on 3 pointers like a stupid idiot. he always spins and recoils in the middle of the air after he realizes he touched the shooters arm.
                Yeah I noticed that too. I'm sure the refs see it too. Ross has length but still needs to improve his use of that length. JJ has length and knows how to use it.

Comment

6 big men on the list... Small lineups are taking over this league!
                  Without bothering to check the guys on the list, one of the common reasons for sitting a big in the 4th is because a bunch of them can't shoot FT. That's not a concern with JV.
                  "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

Don't look now, but JV is turning into a solid defensive player!
                    The name's Bond, James Bond.

Comment

• TRex wrote: View Post
                      If anyone cares. The game is being replayed on NBA TV USA.

Cheers.
                      Two good games in a row on national TV in USA. The Raptors and fans really did a great job of presenting our team and city in a positive light.

Comment

• 007 wrote: View Post
                        Don't look now, but JV is turning into a solid defensive player!
                        he's changing a lot of shots right now

Comment

• Nilanka wrote: View Post
                          That JJ corner 3 was the most ridiculous shot I've seen all season.

1. What the hell was JJ doing spotting up behind the arc?
                          2. What the hell was Lowry thinking dishing it to him spotted up behind the arc?
                          3. What the hell was JJ thinking taking that shot?
                          4. Holy shit, it actually went in! (Considering his previous two jump shots were airballs)

During one of Casey's on court pre game scrums the other week, I got to see JJ take a lot of threes in practice and he was pretty good. Yes, it's just practice but the three he hit last night had fewer people on him than practice. Given his minutes and his role this year, I don't expect he would have much success from deep. I would think most of his chances come in end of shot clock heaves.

Comment

• I saw JJ eventually taking the starting spot from Ross but, not like this
                            @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• psrs1 wrote: View Post
                              Two good games in a row on national TV in USA. The Raptors and fans really did a great job of presenting our team and city in a positive light.
                              Weird that NBATV simply simulcasted the Canadian feed. I assumed they'd have their own crew call the game.

Comment

• Nilanka wrote: View Post
                                Weird that NBATV simply simulcasted the Canadian feed. I assumed they'd have their own crew call the game.
                                I'm pretty sure they don't do that during regular season.

Comment

Working...
                                X