Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How Much Impact Can An Assistant Coach Have?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Much Impact Can An Assistant Coach Have?

This article on Coach Nurse doesn't answer that question, but it gives some hints.

Coach Nurse

He's in charge of putting together the film clips the player watch as well as working independently with players (PPat in this example). And the article suggests he puts together video at the end of the season to assist in player development.

We have heard endlessly about how Casey was responsible for the Mav's defensive prowess in their last championship season. I have been a great advocate of spending team money on personnel other than players, since there are no cap implications. A team that highers the best assistant coaches, strength and conditioning coaches, trainers, video people, stats guys, sports psychologists or whatever just has to have an advantage, all things being equal, over another team with similar playing talent. And it should prove out over the longer term. I think it makes an impression on players when making decisions about whether to accept FA offers as well. A team with a reputation as very professional and obviously dedicated to winning would have to be considered as a better destination than a team that looked like it was staffed with the Barnum and Bailey clown department.

Puffer wrote: View Post
    This article on Coach Nurse doesn't answer that question, but it gives some hints.

Coach Nurse

He's in charge of putting together the film clips the player watch as well as working independently with players (PPat in this example). And the article suggests he puts together video at the end of the season to assist in player development.

We have heard endlessly about how Casey was responsible for the Mav's defensive prowess in their last championship season. I have been a great advocate of spending team money on personnel other than players, since there are no cap implications. A team that highers the best assistant coaches, strength and conditioning coaches, trainers, video people, stats guys, sports psychologists or whatever just has to have an advantage, all things being equal, over another team with similar playing talent. And it should prove out over the longer term. I think it makes an impression on players when making decisions about whether to accept FA offers as well. A team with a reputation as very professional and obviously dedicated to winning would have to be considered as a better destination than a team that looked like it was staffed with the Barnum and Bailey clown department.
    To a certain extent in certainly helps. Like if a guy is deciding between Toronto or Milwaukee, the "little things" like quality of staff and practice facility will help tip the balance. But as we've seen again and again and again, New York and LA will always have the advantage, doesn't even matter if the team is being run into the ground by Isaiah lol. Second tier is Chicago, Miami, Boston and a couple of others. Even winning programs like San Antonio will always have a tougher time attracting players. Just the way it is, and until those cities become smaller in status than other cities, which takes hundreds of years, it will not change.

Toronto also get's screwed because we're the 4th biggest city in North America but we're viewed as a little city by most of America. Why? Canada, eh.
    9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

I was reading an espn chat with Amin Elhassan the other day, and he said a lot of similar things:

different assistants help prepare for different teams, scout different players, help with player development, etc.
      "Bruno?
      Heh, if he is in the D-league still in a few years I will be surprised.
      He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

Ask the Bulls how much they miss Ron Adams

They're defense has fallen off a cliff without him

And guess where he is now?

GSW the team with the #1 ranked defense
        "Both teams played hard my man" - Sheed

Comment

I agree with the OP and non-player personnel spending. If I was running the show, and had deep enough pockets, I'd have a team of personnel for each player.

Sign with the Raptors you'll get your own
          Skills development coach
          Personal Trainer
          video team
          chef

I'd also have a 3-7 person scouting team for every other team in the league, including guys just to work sportsVu data on each team

Hey owners, hire me as your next GM, I'll spend your money!!!
          "They're going to have to rename the whole conference after us: Toronto Raptors 2014-2015 Northern Conference Champions" ~ ezzbee Dec. 2014

"I guess I got a little carried away there" ~ ezzbee Apr. 2015

"We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Comment

ezz_bee wrote: View Post
            I agree with the OP and non-player personnel spending. If I was running the show, and had deep enough pockets, I'd have a team of personnel for each player.

Sign with the Raptors you'll get your own
            Skills development coach
            Personal Trainer
            video team
            chef

I'd also have a 3-7 person scouting team for every other team in the league, including guys just to work sportsVu data on each team

Hey owners, hire me as your next GM, I'll spend your money!!!
            Three extra staff for every player on the team @ $150,000 each is only around an extra $7 million. Last year the average price of an ACC first round playoff ticket was $370.00. Capacity seating is 19, 800 so for every extra playoff game they can get, their gross revenue is $7,326,000.00. If they could squeeze an extra three playoff games out of a season because of the incremental improvement of their players due to extra staff giving them 100% attention, then the cost is covered.

When Bryon Gates was called up form the D league to go to the Kings, as an assistant coach in the 2008-2009 season, he was paid $50,000. So talent is relatively cheap. Current teams could probably easily secure qualified, competent staff at $150,00 per.

I'm not suggesting this a a sure path to glory, but it is not outrageous either. Any team that did it would be a laughing stock until their players development made the rest of the league sit up and take notice. And all the extra NBA staff jobs would make room for some of the RR "coaches" to get positions in the league.

Comment

Working...
            X