Offseason Moves

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Offseason Moves

So that's it! We stand pat when it comes down to this year's trade deadline, no imminent moves with T-Ross, let alone small moves of our expiring contract of Hayes and Fields. So what's it gonna be! Can we trust our GM Masai Ujiri this upcoming offseason. However, before any offseason talks, let's talk about some of the trades that went down at the deadline.

1) Miami: They got better by getting Dragic and his a huge upgrade over Chalmers and Napier at the PG spot. They also acquired John Salmons who could potentially score 20+ pts against us either in the season or in post. A+

2) Detroit: They acquired Reggie Jackson who might challenge Brandon Jenning (who's out for the remainder of the season) for the starting PG spot for the Pistons for years to come and his definitely what the Pistons need, a young offensive type of players who could distribute the rock to Drummond all night long. A

3) Milwaukee: They acquired MCW who always did well against us despite the failed attempt of him playing for the Sixers. I can only see MCW getting better as time progress and under the right team like the Bucks (Jason Kidd), he will become the anchor of the team for years to come. Tyler Ennis will probably find more playing time as the team's backup PG while Miles Plumlee could potentially become a decent backup C behind John Henson. A

4) Boston: They acquired Isaiah Thomas despite the fact that Marcus Smart is their future PG. B+

5) Brooklyn: They got rid of Kevin Garnett and have him reunite with his old team of the Minnesota Timberwolves, a classy move for the veteran. B

6) Philly: One word, Javale McGee, guess this means, one of their bigs will get traded or packaged for a superstar in the offseason. D

7) Rest of the Teams: Meh

So now the Raptors, what are we gonna do in the offseason! Are we gonna stand pat once again or use our money and grab us a star or wait out until 2016 when we can grab Kevin Durant!

Smart can play SG, no?

Thomas, Smart & KO. Not a bad group.....
    Axel wrote:
    Now Cody can stop posting about this guy and we have a poster to blame if anything goes wrong!!
    KeonClark wrote:
    We won't hear back from him. He dissapears into thin air and reappears when you least expect it. Ten is an enigma. Ten is a legend. Ten for the motherfucking win.
    KeonClark wrote:
    I can't wait until the playoffs start.

Until then, opinions are like assholes. Everyone has one and they most often stink

Comment

Cody73 wrote: View Post
      Smart can play SG, no?

Thomas, Smart & KO. Not a bad group.....
      Smart can't shoot. Also they extended Bradley to play SG.

Comment

I wouldn't say we "stood pat", we added Lou Williams and James Johnson which in my opinion are awesome acquisitions.

My hope:

1. Resign Lou, "6th men" pretty much have a cap and he probably won't get outrageous offers. Plus he's got a great situation here.
        2. Resign Amir. We need him, and even if we get that "star PF" I'm comfortable just as I'm sure Amir is comfortable being used as a utility big. Until that star comes along though Amir - 2Pat is a great 1-2 punch, even if it evolves to 2Pat - Amir.
        3. Chase down the big free agents but if they don't come, look for a filler like a QUALITY backup big.
        4. Trade Terrence Ross hopefully in a package with a pick for a star PF. But either way trade Terrence, I really feel like he's just taking minutes from Lou and JJ if he sticks around.

Then, wait for 2016 when we have real space, JV is putting up 16-10 and we're ready to EXPLODE into free agency
        9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

Also really happy for Tyler Ennis to get away from the Pointguard Suns and finally get some real minutes. He will be a quality backup pg, hopefully a tweener starter, and we need him getting minutes if we're fans of Canadian basketball

Comment

KeonClark wrote: View Post
            I wouldn't say we "stood pat", we added Lou Williams and James Johnson which in my opinion are awesome acquisitions.

My hope:

1. Resign Lou, "6th men" pretty much have a cap and he probably won't get outrageous offers. Plus he's got a great situation here.
            2. Resign Amir. We need him, and even if we get that "star PF" I'm comfortable just as I'm sure Amir is comfortable being used as a utility big. Until that star comes along though Amir - 2Pat is a great 1-2 punch, even if it evolves to 2Pat - Amir.
            3. Chase down the big free agents but if they don't come, look for a filler like a QUALITY backup big.
            4. Trade Terrence Ross hopefully in a package with a pick for a star PF. But either way trade Terrence, I really feel like he's just taking minutes from Lou and JJ if he sticks around.

Then, wait for 2016 when we have real space, JV is putting up 16-10 and we're ready to EXPLODE into free agency
            I think everyone has big time cap space in 2016 due to the TV contract. We are going to do our shopping this offseason when the competition is not so deep and there are several good targets to fill our needs available by FA or trade
            Last edited by Demographic Shift; Thu Feb 19, 2015, 10:58 PM.
            There's no such thing as a 2nd round bust.
            - TGO

Comment

I think how guys perform in the playoffs will be the determining factor on what Ujiri does.

If Ross is hot garbage again, he's gone.

If teams find a weakness to exploit, it will be fixed.

I know this team isn't good enough to be considered elite yet, but I think with JV's continued growth and Patterson coming into his own, that this team isn't that far.

Playoffs will tell Ujiri what to do, the regular season now means nothing, which is significant growth for us Raptors fans.
              Sunny ways my friends, sunny ways
              Because its 2015

Comment

Really like the core of young guys the Bucks are bringing together.

Kidd definitely made the right call bailing on the Nets. This is the kind of team Kidd should be coaching in his second year, a team of younger guys, more patient management.

Comment

I suspect Bucks may slip. In fact I think they are the best matchup for us in the first round. MCW is a ball hog ---one of the reasons he was so disliked by his teamates. He has length but his style of play if not adjusted could lead to significant slide for Bucks. Miami concerns me if we ultimately have to face them in the playoffs.

Comment

psrs1 wrote: View Post
                    I suspect Bucks may slip. In fact I think they are the best matchup for us in the first round. MCW is a ball hog ---one of the reasons he was so disliked by his teamates. He has length but his style of play if not adjusted could lead to significant slide for Bucks. Miami concerns me if we ultimately have to face them in the playoffs.
                    He's also a terrible scorer/shooter. Knight was carrying a big chunk of the scoring load and was one of their best shooters. He isn't a natural PG, but he turned it over less than MCW and it allowed Giannis to initiate some of their O because he could play off the ball. Oh, and Knight is actually younger than MCW.

MCW's an intriguing player and it could be an excellent long-term move, but I wouldn't be surprised if the rest of their current season got bumpier.

Comment

white men can't jump wrote: View Post
                      He's also a terrible scorer/shooter. Knight was carrying a big chunk of the scoring load and was one of their best shooters. He isn't a natural PG, but he turned it over less than MCW and it allowed Giannis to initiate some of their O because he could play off the ball. Oh, and Knight is actually younger than MCW.

MCW's an intriguing player and it could be an excellent long-term move, but I wouldn't be surprised if the rest of their current season got bumpier.
                      Agreed. It was a great trade for the long term Bucks (MCW AND Ennis??) but actually a pretty terrible trade for surprise team in the league, feel good story this year Bucks.

Comment

They traded Marshall back to Phx in that move...

This summer, would you rather bring back Lou or bring in Gerald Green?

And why?

Comment

charlesnba23 wrote: View Post
                          They traded Marshall back to Phx in that move...

This summer, would you rather bring back Lou or bring in Gerald Green?

And why?
                          Neither. But certainly not Green - if you let Amir or Lou walk, it is for a serious upgrade.
                          twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Like, let's say, Kawhi Leonard?

Comment

charlesnba23 wrote: View Post
                              Like, let's say, Kawhi Leonard?
                              Leonard, Butler, Draymond Green, Tobias Harris...
                              twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Working...
                              X