Raptors Collapse Continues....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
    We've seen what this team is capable of when they play the 'right' way, with consistent effort on both ends. As hard as I've been in the past on guys like DeRozan, and as much as I despise the hero-ball often utilized this season by DeRozan/Lowry/Lou/Vasquez, I think this team is capable of being much better than they've been playing and/or is reflected in their record. To me, that speaks volumes to the inability of the coach to effectively utilize the talent he has (and develop the young talent), rather than the failure of the GM to assemble a talented/competitive roster.
    So you do see enough talent on this team to warrant a better record than what they are showing? Or do you mean you feel like they can play even better than they do when they've played their best ball of the season? The reason I ask is because I feel like the talent isn't there, and that the roster has some major holes in it.

Comment

• Mediumcore wrote: View Post
      Well, you know I'm supportive of Casey as far as what I feel he is here to do with this current team, but I'm not going to debate that point in this thread (will try not to any ways LOL), but is firing Casey all that you want to see MU, do or feel that he needs to do to improve this team? Do you feel that strongly that the talent is here and only a coaching change is needed to get us to that next level?

I for one think a little pressure needs to be placed on MU, for not making any moves to address the roster issues we have. Also, he doesn't have a track record of bringing in the "big fish". It's great that we have the flexibility and cap space, but we've had that before. Can MU convert that into a star player? That's what I want to see this summer.
      No, it's obviously not the only move he needs to make. There are serious limitations to this roster, but I'm of the mind that you should take as much time as you need to address these, so that you get the maximum value for any assets you might move around.

But to me, replacing Casey is such an obvious, necessary move that if it doesn't happen, it shows that Masai may not have a handle on what he's doing.
      "Stop eating your sushi."
      "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
      "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
      - Jack Armstrong

Comment

• mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
        2015 was suppose to be progression.

That is no longer happening.

Serious regression has been the story of more than the last 2 months.
        The regression part is what worries me. I expected about .500 basketball second half. They are playing like in years past when we would go on extended losing streak unable to steal a game here and there to stop the bleeding. Their body language tells me they have lost all confidence and are just going through the motions.

Comment

• Uncle_Si wrote: View Post
          Agreed. Listening to him and Frank Isola on siriusxm is painful. I can't stand the guy
          Really. Frank Isola is very knowledgeable. He actually knows a lot about Toronto and is generally positive. Stacy King and Malik Rose are homers for Chicago and Philadelphia respectively.

Comment

Haven't gone through this thread, but curious if the spotlight has turned on to Masaii, as yet? I think we've blamed the players, the coach, but haven't heard anything about the GM. I think he will have to make some big changes this summer, and in retrospect, was not making any moves before the trade deadline what has seemingly sealed our season to a likely first round exit?

By the way I still think we can get to the second round, if we don't face Clevland or Chicago, but the consensus on the site is that we will be one and done.
            I really don't think he's done much wrong. Certainly not enough to get fired. I will question him for the first time if he doesn't try to upgrade the coach before too long. But I think he needs time to shape this team and I dont think it made sense to make big moves this past trade deadline with a short term view. I would have been interested in rading Denver, but seemed like their asking price for their assets were steep. I'll be very interested to see what he does this offseason. To me he is not part of the problem. Yet. One of the sharpest young GM's in the league.

Comment

So you do see enough talent on this team to warrant a better record than what they are showing? Or do you mean you feel like they can play even better than they do when they've played their best ball of the season? The reason I ask is because I feel like the talent isn't there, and that the roster has some major holes in it.
              I don't think they're talented enough to even be in the second tier of title-contenders, but I do think there is enough talent to be legit ECF contenders this season (which is partly an indictment of the EC).

Unfortunately, DC has them playing at a level that has them slipping to 2nd or even 3rd tier contender status just in the EC, largely due to the reliance on hero-ball offense and a scrambling defense. His terrible system choices, questionable lineup decisions, awful substitution patterns, horrible in-game management, inability and/or unwillingness to adapt his approach (overall or in-game), are causing the players to look bad and lose confidence, ultimately resulting in the terribly inconsistent play and slipping in the standings that we're currently witnessing.

I place some blame on the players, especially when it comes to shot selection, forcing their game and putting forth inconsistent effort. However, when the coach supports and even encourages that type/style of play and makes excuses for it, it's hard to fault the players too much - that goes well beyond simply not holding players accountable.

I look at how the Raptors played in games like the 2nd win against LAC, or the wins against SA and ATL (right after the all-star break), as being what this team is capable of. High intensity defense, team-oriented offense, confidence & swagger, all 9/10 rotation players locked-in and engaged on both ends - that's the 'good' Raptors playing the 'right' way. Unfortunately, under DC's coaching, it's more often than not selfish 'hero ball' and inconsistent (at best) defensive commitments, with half the rotation seemingly an afterthought in the game-planning (and playing like it).

Comment

• Re: Masai taking the blame - it's way too early. Post-Gay-trade, these players and this coach earned the right to prove themselves in last year's playoffs through their solid play and incremental improvement. They came within a shot of the second round and earned a right to prove themselves again this year. The wheels have fallen off since December, and what it looks like is this roster + coach are showing where their ceiling is at. They can perform at a high level for spurts, but not consistently for 82 games season after season. That's fine, now the GM knows what they're made of and moving forward is his opportunity to make changes through FA and trades.

There was no predicting the way this team has fallen off. Nobody was blaming Masai's "inactivity" when this roster was winning, but all of a sudden all his moves/non-moves over the past year and a half are "obvious" errors to some people. Funny, I didn't hear that from you 12 months ago. Hindsight = 20/20.
                "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

• I'm getting a little uncomfortable with this growing animosity towards Masai. Toronto fans chase EVERYBODY out of town.

S.R. hit the nail on the head with hindsight being 20/20. Not once has Ujiri strayed from what he said he was going to do. Continuity, give this roster a chance, evaluate, and go from there. Impatient muhfuckas think we should be up with the championship contenders NOW, pretty greedy for a team that has been mediocre to shitty almost every year since 1995.
                  9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• We can judge Masai after what he does this offseason.
                    The name's Bond, James Bond.

Comment

• 2-9 post all star break. We are in Sixers Magic Knicks territory.

Comment

• psrs1 wrote: View Post
                        2-9 post all star break. We are in Sixers Magic Knicks territory.
                        Averaging out. There's no way we're that bad, but we're definitely not as good as we were first 20 or so games.

I just want the playoffs. Either we'll have a great run, or we'll be bounced we won't have to watch more games like the ones they've been playing lately.

It's a win-win.
                        The name's Bond, James Bond.

Comment

• We all knew this team has its flaws. There are no surprises here. Just sit back and enjoy the ride.

Comment

• 1-9 in last 10 - ouch.

4th seed is virtually assured due to the Atlantic being, uhhh, weak shall we say?

But next up on the slide in to the playoffs is the loss of home court advantage in the first round.

Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't the first 5th seed get home court advantage if a better record than the 4th seed?

This season can't end soon enough.

Comment

• mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
                              1-9 in last 10 - ouch.

4th seed is virtually assured due to the Atlantic being, uhhh, weak shall we say?

But next up on the slide in to the playoffs is the loss of home court advantage in the first round.

Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't the first 5th seed get home court advantage if a better record than the 4th seed?

This season can't end soon enough.
                              Yup, I recently discovered this. I assumed that 4th seed equates to home court advantage. But it's actually determined by record.

I don't really understand the logic behind gifting division winners a top 4 seed, if it doesn't guarantee home court advantage.

Comment

• Nilanka wrote: View Post
                                Yup, I recently discovered this. I assumed that 4th seed equates to home court advantage. But it's actually determined by record.

I don't really understand the logic behind gifting division winners a top 4 seed, if it doesn't guarantee home court advantage.
                                Yeah, it's meaningless. It wouldn't even affect matchups in subsequent rounds, as whoever won the 4/5 would get the same subsequent matchup regardless.
                                "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

Working...
                                X