No announcement yet.

What can the Raptors get for Lowry?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

wow, common Raptor fans. this thread should have never existed.

Comment

DogeLover1234 wrote: View Post
      Worth noting that asking how much Lowry is worth is not to the same as saying, "Lets trade Lowry!"
      True, but there are actually people in the thread saying we should trade Lowry.

And posing a question about a player's worth naturally implies that if we were to get the right price we should deal him. But considering his value is at bottom there is no return that would satisfy the initial question. (That's not even considering larger strategic and structural concerns.) It's a self-defeating premise.

Comment

Scraptor wrote: View Post
        True, but there are actually people in the thread saying we should trade Lowry.

And posing a question about a player's worth naturally implies that if we were to get the right price we should deal him. But considering his value is at bottom there is no return that would satisfy the initial question. (That's not even considering larger strategic and structural concerns.) It's a self-defeating premise.
        For the right price, anyone is available. Nothing wrong with taking stock of your own assets. I don't think Lowry's stock is low, he was an all-star this season and teams know he was just as good last year. At his age, he is the perfect win-now option for teams.

If we aren't win now (that's up to Masai) then it makes sense to trade him. If Lowry were 3 years younger, then I don't think there's a chance he's moved.

For the record, I mean win-now as in title contender.
        Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

Axel wrote: View Post
          For the right price, anyone is available. Nothing wrong with taking stock of your own assets. I don't think Lowry's stock is low, he was an all-star this season and teams know he was just as good last year. At his age, he is the perfect win-now option for teams.

If we aren't win now (that's up to Masai) then it makes sense to trade him. If Lowry were 3 years younger, then I don't think there's a chance he's moved.

For the record, I mean win-now as in title contender.
          Oof. I wrote up a very lengthy response, but decided to delete it, because we are going to end up going in circles.

Suffice to say that if we were to decide to rebuild after this season because we suddenly realized we are not win-now title contender, Masai would have to be fired, because practically everyone could see two years ago that this core was not a win-now title contender.

But that's not going to happen. Because Masai's plan seems to be "win in a couple more years" title contention. And Lowry fits fine with that plan. The odds of us scrapping a major cornerstone of Masai's big plan now are essentially zero.

Comment

Oof. I wrote up a very lengthy response, but decided to delete it, because we are going to end up going in circles.

Suffice to say that if we were to decide to rebuild after this season because we suddenly realized we are not win-now title contender, Masai would have to be fired, because practically everyone could see two years ago that this core was not a win-now title contender.

But that's not going to happen. Because Masai's plan seems to be "win in a couple more years" title contention. And Lowry fits fine with that plan. The odds of us scrapping a major cornerstone of Masai's big plan now are essentially zero.
            I'm not advocating trading Lowry, I'm just pointing out the scenarios in which it could happen.

I don't think trading Lowry or DD necessarily means as destructive a rebuild as it would have meant two years ago. The return on Lowry would have to be high for it to be even considered. As opposed to before, when trading him meant prospects/picks and a chance to better our own draft pick. Any move now would bring in more "ready" talent than before.

I suspect both Lowry and DD will be back next year and given a chance under a new coach. If they fail to adapt, then they will be moved but Masai is patient enough to let them try first.

If anyone is not back next year, my money is on Amir, and Lou then maybe Ross or JJ.

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

I'm not advocating trading Lowry, I'm just pointing out the scenarios in which it could happen.

I don't think trading Lowry or DD necessarily means as destructive a rebuild as it would have meant two years ago. The return on Lowry would have to be high for it to be even considered. As opposed to before, when trading him meant prospects/picks and a chance to better our own draft pick. Any move now would bring in more "ready" talent than before.

I suspect both Lowry and DD will be back next year and given a chance under a new coach. If they fail to adapt, then they will be moved but Masai is patient enough to let them try first.

If anyone is not back next year, my money is on Amir, and Lou then maybe Ross or JJ.
              You're the first to suggest that JJ might not be back next year.. he's got a really team friendly contract for next season. Even in a trade, he'd be considered a very small expiring contract for next season and I don't see how he could be worth much for a team that's not tanking.

Lastly the SF spot is pretty weak on the team already especially with Landry most likely gone and Bruno still 1 year away from being 2 years after next season

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post
                You're the first to suggest that JJ might not be back next year.. he's got a really team friendly contract for next season. Even in a trade, he'd be considered a very small expiring contract for next season and I don't see how he could be worth much for a team that's not tanking.

Lastly the SF spot is pretty weak on the team already especially with Landry most likely gone and Bruno still 1 year away from being 2 years after next season
                If there are changes, JJ is good value, so good value in a trade. He's an asset with good value and moving him isn't blowing up the roster.

Comment

I'd trade Lowry for Terrence Jones and a first or second rounder
                  "Stop eating your sushi."
                  "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
                  "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
                  - Jack Armstrong

Comment

JimiCliff wrote: View Post
                    I'd trade Lowry for Terrence Jones and a first or second rounder
                    If that happens Masai should be fired. He literally wasted 2 seasons and wasted 2 draft choices drafting in the late first when he could've been drafting in the top 5. If tanking was the end result he should've started tanking the day he traded rudy.

And tbh terrence jones and a late first/second round pick is the worst value u could get for him like wtf. That's even worse than trading lowry for th jr and shump.
                    That would be the worst tanking trade of all time. It would be up there with the vince trade smh
                    I'm back. I no longer worship joe johnson

Comment

Yabadabayolo wrote: View Post
                      If that happens Masai should be fired. He literally wasted 2 seasons and wasted 2 draft choices drafting in the late first when he could've been drafting in the top 5. If tanking was the end result he should've started tanking the day he traded rudy.

And tbh terrence jones and a late first/second round pick is the worst value u could get for him like wtf. That's even worse than trading lowry for th jr and shump.
                      That would be the worst tanking trade of all time. It would be up there with the vince trade smh
                      Lol, I'm not going to bother responding to this
                      "Stop eating your sushi."
                      "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
                      "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
                      - Jack Armstrong

Comment

Good grief. I'd like to hear what the plan is if we trade Lowry. What's the step after that? And the one after that?

I was one of the biggest pro-tankers when Masai came on board and when we made the Gay trade, but the fact of the matter is that Masai chose to build from the middle. Our bed is made. You trade Lowry and you better trade away DeMar and rebuild from the ground up.

And if that's the road we are to choose then we should have done it two seasons ago. Anyone who advocates trading Lowry is essentially saying that Masai has no idea what he is doing, because Lowry was made a cornerstone of the build-from-the-middle approach.

Finally, I have no idea why people are so adamant at selling players when their value is at rock bottom. You want to rebuild this team, you should have proposed trading Lowry when he was being put in the mix for MVP. That would at least take some guts and foresight. This is just more short-term overreaction.
                        I'm not sure it is that black and white.

One year ago (not two), there was no value for Lowry or he would have been gone. What if the value is much better now having fixed his reputation and been named an all-star and under contract for at least 2 more seasons?

Also, what about if Lowry or DD were traded and returned a top player out of the last two drafts and/or a high draft pick in upcoming draft?

Wouldn't the Raptors end up where they would have been before in terms of assets they would have - minus the losing, of course?

This off season is going to be very interesting - especially if they lose in the first round.

Comment

Just throwing this into the mix....read on Hoopshype today that the Knicks are sniffing around on offers for their 1st rounder.

ps...some things never change!

Comment

Bendit wrote: View Post
                            Just throwing this into the mix....read on Hoopshype today that the Knicks are sniffing around on offers for their 1st rounder.

ps...some things never change!
                            If Dolan was worried about getting hosed before with a 2018 first and a couple of bleak prospects not sure he goes ahead and gives up a top 5 pick to his master. Lol

But Knicks are going to be interesting. Melo is leaving his prime. PJax is starting to be ridiculed. Both have or want legacies. May the ego get in the way of sound judgement!

Comment

If there are changes, JJ is good value, so good value in a trade. He's an asset with good value and moving him isn't blowing up the roster.
                              He's an asset with great value - bargain contract for his skill set. So what do you get for him? Something in the range of $2-4M, basically a rookie contract. What team is willing to give up a rookie contract for a veteran on an expiring deal? If its a contender, then the value of the rookie contract coming back is less then what JJ brings.

I really don't think JJ is going to be moved.. now if you you think Masai has to sweeten a pot to get rid of a bad contract I could understand the logic of moving him.. but the Raptors won't have a bad contract going into next season.. all of BC's mistakes will be removed from the payroll.

Comment

Smh

Comment

Working...
                                X