Potential Coaching Candidates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hotshot wrote: View Post
    Well so was Blatt.. but apperently he was still green in certain areas but just needed more experience/time. Then again if Lebron doesn't like your coaching methods then you will be out no matter what.
    I don't think Blatt did a bad job, Cleveland was 30-11 when they fired him. He won the Eurocup his 2nd year back coaching in Europe. I wouldn't be upset if we hired Blatt, just think Messina is a better version of Blatt.

Comment

• Ettore Messina and Mike Brown are my top choices at the moment. Intrigued with somebody from Boston, but know so little about them.

Comment

• Messina has more NBA experience (as an assistant though) than Blatt and a decorated European coaching background. In the interviews I’ve read or watched with Blatt he comes across as arrogant...IMO

Just to play devil’s advocate I watch the post game presser with Messina from their Game 4 win against the Warriors and it seems like he was almost conceding that they already lost the series. Seemed strange to me. Here’s the link...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pX73G50XW2w

Comment

• saints91 wrote: View Post
          Messina has more NBA experience (as an assistant though) than Blatt and a decorated European coaching background. In the interviews I’ve read or watched with Blatt he comes across as arrogant...IMO

Just to play devil’s advocate I watch the post game presser with Messina from their Game 4 win against the Warriors and it seems like he was almost conceding that they already lost the series. Seemed strange to me. Here’s the link...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pX73G50XW2w

Well upon watching it, I sort of just took at as him recognizing that golden state was in a very advantageous position, and that the spurs should take it one game at a time. It seemed from what he said like they were doing their best to win, and all that, but that they understood that it was going to be tough to come back from. I don't know, he sure wasn't saying "if we had durant we would've won too" or whatever

Comment

• And the Raptors Republic coaching search grinds on.

The half dozen or so folks who are most committed to finding the perfect candidate to coach next year’s iteration of the Raps are boarding the Republics golden coloured 1995 luxury minivan with its trademark hotfuzzy dice hanging from the rear view mirror. They are off to view firsthand the 3 most “intriguing” prospects who match the characteristics agreed to by the self appointed committee who meet the thinnest and most discerning of Venn diagram intersects.

Under the knowing few’s microscope are a couple of junior college coaches and a high school analytics teacher who moonlights as boys basketball coach. All three are purported to run the most sublime ball movement offenses that a pro team could only dream to implement.

The committee is confident that coming years raptors players, who will be comprised of multiple high 1st round lottery draft picks that were picked up by trading players they consider useless POS will be able to deliver a championship using the new motion offense. When pressed for how trading useless POS for 1st round picks happens the committee reserved comment and hurriedly boarded the minivan.

The committee’s targeted candidates are all under the radar types currently coaching in Northern New Mexico. The leading candidate coaches the Kwai Chang Caine Grasshoppers (who are the envy of the Union and Harding county leagues). The Grasshoppers coach, Chow Lin, is unwavering in his view that anything but fluid nonstop ball movement is punishable by lethal injection. He has never been wrong. Just ask him.

The self appointed ad hoc committee for the preservation of core Raptor coaching values departs next Tuesday on their mission The hope is they are back with their findings by early June in order to advise the GM who to hire because left to his own devices that stumblebum would screw it up. In order to show solidarity all members of the committee are wearing their standard issue Brad Stevens is the GOAT t-shirts.

God Speed gentlemen. God speed.
            There's no such thing as a 2nd round bust.
            - TGO

Comment

• Demographic Shift wrote: View Post
              And the Raptors Republic coaching search grinds on.

God Speed gentlemen. God speed.
              I chuckled.

As far as the latest 'news' goes, Messina is an interesting case because he's 58, so, whatever job he takes is likely to be his first and last head coaching job in the league. As much as I think he would be a great fit in Toronto, given both his experience and what I know of his approach, I am not sure that the Raps are a great fit for him as presently constituted with their relatively brief window.

Comment

• slaw wrote: View Post
                I chuckled.

As far as the latest 'news' goes, Messina is an interesting case because he's 58, so, whatever job he takes is likely to be his first and last head coaching job in the league. As much as I think he would be a great fit in Toronto, given both his experience and what I know of his approach, I am not sure that the Raps are a great fit for him as presently constituted with their relatively brief window.
                Which team do you think he would fit in better with of the teams that are looking for a head coach?

Comment

• LJ2 wrote: View Post
                  Which team do you think he would fit in better with of the teams that are looking for a head coach?
                  Not sure there are any that are ideal for him to be honest. Raps might come the closest but, again, if they don't get to the Finals this next year, are they going to blow up the core? In which case I doubt a guy like Messina has any interest in that. You'd have to assure him he was going to have a top team I think.

Comment

Not sure there are any that are ideal for him to be honest. Raps might come the closest but, again, if they don't get to the Finals this next year, are they going to blow up the core? In which case I doubt a guy like Messina has any interest in that. You'd have to assure him he was going to have a top team I think.
                    The only potential top team that I can think of that may look for a new coach in the near future would be Philly. But they aren't looking for one this season, so Toronto might be the best team available to him. I'm sure the Knicks have some lure even though they are a mess.

Comment

• LJ2 wrote: View Post
                      The only potential top team that I can think of that may look for a new coach in the near future would be Philly. But they aren't looking for one this season, so Toronto might be the best team available to him. I'm sure the Knicks have some lure even though they are a mess.
                      The Sixers are actually the team I had in mind when I made my first post.... but Brown likely has to flame out first.

Comment

I chuckled.

LJ2 wrote: View Post
                        Ujiri did what he had to do given the scope of that pratfall and the size of the opportunity squandered. Similar to the fate of any president of sales who gets two behind the left ear after missing their full year buget call ..so too was it expected that Dwane Casey was let go. Its just business. Some one has to take the blame. Coaches know this. Dwane left Toronto with his resume bolstered and fully intact and he will be working again.

There is boatloads of shared culpability to go around from that loss to the Cavs. To me anyway Ujiri has to be mulling over some other personnel decisions he might have to make before appointing the new coach. Dwane didn't get stupid between the 59 win regular season, the workmanlike demolition of the Wizards in the first round and that inexplicable sweep by the Cavs. Other things went sideways too. Player things.

Only on this forum does DD have no value. Outside of the rarefied atmosphere of RR forums Derozan is viewed as 28 year old four time all star ... a USA basketball national team player... . a 2nd team all nba wing... a guy who can get his shot if needed and has zero off court issues. A very very low risk higher reward player. Yes he has a price tag of 27M$ and three years to go on his deal but its not outrageous to say that for 2 of those years you will get full value.

Lowry too is a 4 time allstar. He has a sticker price of 30M$ but only two years left on his deal and for sure one of those years is going to be full value. Possibly both. They are at the peak of the business cycle and both these assets will bring a decent return. Not equal value but very good right now players and some future value.

So which cash cow might be off to market if either ? That decision I think predicates what kind of coach comes... a right now veteran guy if Ujuri chooses to stick it out with KL and DD or if he is going to bring in younger players perhaps its a Freddy Hoiberg type future looking hire.

The once Teflon GM has some tough decisions and an interesting few weeks in front of him.

Hope that mini van of experts gets back soon to advise the GM on the proper course of action. The rest of us can only sit and wait to see where the team is going.
                        Last edited by Demographic Shift; Mon May 28, 2018, 04:12 PM.
                        There's no such thing as a 2nd round bust.
                        - TGO

Comment

• Let's hire all the notable assistant coaches for the Spurs. Messina, Udoka and Hammon.

Add those 3 with Nurse, Kalamian and Stackhouse. Let go of the remaining assistants, or send them to the Spurs. Let them battle it out -- 10 games apiece, winner take all. Losers draw straws to see who has to coach the G League.
                          your pal,
                          ebrian

Comment

• ebrian wrote: View Post
                            Let's hire all the notable assistant coaches for the Spurs. Messina, Udoka and Hammon.

Add those 3 with Nurse, Kalamian and Stackhouse. Let go of the remaining assistants, or send them to the Spurs. Let them battle it out -- 10 games apiece, winner take all. Losers draw straws to see who has to coach the G League.
                            You da man! And hire you as the GM

Comment

• ebrian wrote: View Post
                              Let's hire all the notable assistant coaches for the Spurs. Messina, Udoka and Hammon.

Forget coaches, they could all be our new bench mob ...

Comment

• Zainab wrote: View Post
                                You da man! And hire you as the GM
                                ebrian for prime minister. I've been saying it for years.

Comment

Working...
                                X