Potential Coaching Candidates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Potential Coaching Candidates

Since most (if not all) posters have seemed to join in on the #FireCasey movement, it is time to really try and move the conversation away from the refrain of he-who-must-not-be-named's errors, and onto the solutions.

I would like this thread to be solely for offering, and discussing alternate coaching options for next season and not just a continual re-hash of he-who-must-not-be-named and all the stupid things he does (that goes in the #FireCasey thread )

So here is a link to one list of names from the other thread (post will likely buried in a few days time)

http://www.raptorsrepublic.com/forum...l=1#post445842

Here are some names I have found for consideration in no particular order:

Bryan Gates – New Orleans Assistant
    http://www.nba.com/pelicans/news/pla...le-bryan-gates

Prior to joining New Orleans, Gates was an assistant coach during the 2008-09 season with the Sacramento Kings following a highly-successful three-year stint as a head coach in the NBA Development League with the Idaho Stampede.

While coaching the Stampede, Gates was a two-time recipient of the Dennis Johnson D-League Coach of the Year award (2006-07, 2007-08), and compiled a record of 101-51 (.664 winning percentage, tied for highest in league history), including winning the NBA Development League Championship in 2007-08. Gates was also an assistant coach in Idaho for five years, beginning with the team’s inaugural season in the CBA in 1997-98.

Gates’ first NBDL experience came as an assistant to Head Coach Dennis Johnson with the Austin Toros during the 2005-06 season. He spent the four years prior to joining the D-League in the USBL, as head coach of the Oklahoma Storm. During this time, Gates lead his squad to three Western Conference titles and was named Coach of the Year in 2004.

Gates has additional head coaching experience with the CBL’s Hickory Nutz in the summer of 2003, and the Beirut Blue Stars of Lebanon in 2004-05. He lead the Nutz to a 23-0 record and a championship while being named Coach of the Year in his only season at the post, and guided the Blue Stars to a 2nd place league finish with a 24-7 record and a 4th place showing in the Dubai International Basketball Tournament.

Fred Hoiberg – Iowa St

My #1 choice. The Bulls are also interested. http://www.sportingnews.com/nba/stor...-tom-thibodeau

He did play for the Bulls, but he could be turned off by the Bulls history of coaching relationships (goes back well before Thibs).

From a previous post (Page 96 of the FireCasey thread), a great little breakdown of his style:

http://www.denverstiffs.com/2015/3/6...t-fred-hoiberg

Thibs - Bulls

Well known.

Vance Walberg – assistant with Sacramento under Karl

Never had a chance to be the Head Guy in the NBA, but he’s worth an interview I think. This is the guy that created the offence known as “Dribble drive motion offense”. Breakdown of the offence is here: http://www.coachesclipboard.net/Drib...onOffense.html

At age 58, it’s possible that his chance to get a HC gig is up, but an innovative offensive mind should always be given an interview, if only for some insight to your own players that he may bring.

Gary Payton – former TNT, now Fox Sports 1 Analyst

Tired of watching soft defence? Perhaps taking a chance on the Hall of Fame PG is the answer. Despite no real coaching experience, he has kicked the tires on assistant gigs recently. Remember, Steve Kerr had no coaching experience before taking over the Warriors this year. So while it would be a gamble, it could pay off. At the very least, he’d probably over-take Sam Mitchell for best sound bites in Raptors history.

Mike Malone – former Kings Head Coach

Much like Casey in Minnesota, Malone didn’t really seem to get a fair shake in an abbreviated coaching stint. Malone seemed to be getting the Kings to playing solid ball in the tough west, before Cousins got hurt and management found the opportunity to fire Malone (should be noted that the GM was hired AFTER Malone – and their owner is bat-shit crazy). Malone is similar to Casey in many ways, perhaps turning people off from him; he’s a defence first, slow paced offensive guy. Which is what the book used to say on Casey (the book seems to have changed and the chapter on defence seems missing).

JB Bickerstaff – Assistant in Houston

The guy may have gotten to the NBA coaching circles by using his dad (Bernie) to get there, but he seems to have solidified his place in the league. He has taken charge of the Rockets defence this year (they have the best Opp3P% in the league, 8th in DRtg and 9th in OppFG%).

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...ense/20081033/

He’s young and still has lots to prove, but he’s already getting interviews and will likely be getting a shot in the new couple of years from someone.

David Fizdale – Assistant in Miami

A NBA assistant since 2003, he’s been on Spo’s staff in Miami since 2008. He’s also the team’s Director of Player Development. At 40 years old, he has yet to be a Head Coach but in part due to his own reluctance to leave Miami. But the post-LeBron Miami Heat is a different beast, so perhaps the tune has changed. Here’s something from just 6 weeks ago:

http://allucanheat.com/2015/01/27/mi...ortunity-soon/

Alex Jensen – Assistant in Utah

The 2013 D-League Coach of the Year, played professionally in Turkey, Spain and China. At 38 years old, the 6’7 Jensen is considered one of the up and comers in the coaching ranks.

Robert Pack – Assistant in OKC

Pack has been an assistant in the NBA since 2009 (New Orleans), with a stop with the Clippers from 2010-2013 on his way to OKC. As an undrafted PG who went on to play 13 seasons, the guy has proven to be a hard worker.

Marc Jackson – Not someone I am interested in personally, here is a good example of why:

“While Jackson excelled as a leader, he was not interested in the minutiae of coaching, according to sources. He so rarely watched film that the video team eventually stopped loading clips onto his laptop. He didn’t draw up plays during huddles, or carry a clipboard. He often looked at his cellphone during practice, even when management was around. His relationship with the front office grew more strained.” Via Hoopshype.com
    Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Axel wrote: View Post
    Since most (if not all) posters have seemed to join in on the #FireCasey movement, it is time to really try and move the conversation away from the refrain of he-who-must-not-be-named's errors, and onto the solutions.

I would like this thread to be solely for offering, and discussing alternate coaching options for next season and not just a continual re-hash of he-who-must-not-be-named and all the stupid things he does (that goes in the #FireCasey thread )

So here is a link to one list of names from the other thread (post will likely buried in a few days time)

http://www.raptorsrepublic.com/forum...l=1#post445842

Here are some names I have found for consideration in no particular order:

Bryan Gates – New Orleans Assistant
    http://www.nba.com/pelicans/news/pla...le-bryan-gates

Prior to joining New Orleans, Gates was an assistant coach during the 2008-09 season with the Sacramento Kings following a highly-successful three-year stint as a head coach in the NBA Development League with the Idaho Stampede.

While coaching the Stampede, Gates was a two-time recipient of the Dennis Johnson D-League Coach of the Year award (2006-07, 2007-08), and compiled a record of 101-51 (.664 winning percentage, tied for highest in league history), including winning the NBA Development League Championship in 2007-08. Gates was also an assistant coach in Idaho for five years, beginning with the team’s inaugural season in the CBA in 1997-98.

Gates’ first NBDL experience came as an assistant to Head Coach Dennis Johnson with the Austin Toros during the 2005-06 season. He spent the four years prior to joining the D-League in the USBL, as head coach of the Oklahoma Storm. During this time, Gates lead his squad to three Western Conference titles and was named Coach of the Year in 2004.

Gates has additional head coaching experience with the CBL’s Hickory Nutz in the summer of 2003, and the Beirut Blue Stars of Lebanon in 2004-05. He lead the Nutz to a 23-0 record and a championship while being named Coach of the Year in his only season at the post, and guided the Blue Stars to a 2nd place league finish with a 24-7 record and a 4th place showing in the Dubai International Basketball Tournament.

Fred Hoiberg – Iowa St

My #1 choice. The Bulls are also interested. http://www.sportingnews.com/nba/stor...-tom-thibodeau

He did play for the Bulls, but he could be turned off by the Bulls history of coaching relationships (goes back well before Thibs).

From a previous post (Page 96 of the FireCasey thread), a great little breakdown of his style:

http://www.denverstiffs.com/2015/3/6...t-fred-hoiberg

Thibs - Bulls

Well known.

Vance Walberg – assistant with Sacramento under Karl

Never had a chance to be the Head Guy in the NBA, but he’s worth an interview I think. This is the guy that created the offence known as “Dribble drive motion offense”. Breakdown of the offence is here: http://www.coachesclipboard.net/Drib...onOffense.html

At age 58, it’s possible that his chance to get a HC gig is up, but an innovative offensive mind should always be given an interview, if only for some insight to your own players that he may bring.

Gary Payton – former TNT, now Fox Sports 1 Analyst

Tired of watching soft defence? Perhaps taking a chance on the Hall of Fame PG is the answer. Despite no real coaching experience, he has kicked the tires on assistant gigs recently. Remember, Steve Kerr had no coaching experience before taking over the Warriors this year. So while it would be a gamble, it could pay off. At the very least, he’d probably over-take Sam Mitchell for best sound bites in Raptors history.

Mike Malone – former Kings Head Coach

Much like Casey in Minnesota, Malone didn’t really seem to get a fair shake in an abbreviated coaching stint. Malone seemed to be getting the Kings to playing solid ball in the tough west, before Cousins got hurt and management found the opportunity to fire Malone (should be noted that the GM was hired AFTER Malone – and their owner is bat-shit crazy). Malone is similar to Casey in many ways, perhaps turning people off from him; he’s a defence first, slow paced offensive guy. Which is what the book used to say on Casey (the book seems to have changed and the chapter on defence seems missing).

JB Bickerstaff – Assistant in Houston

The guy may have gotten to the NBA coaching circles by using his dad (Bernie) to get there, but he seems to have solidified his place in the league. He has taken charge of the Rockets defence this year (they have the best Opp3P% in the league, 8th in DRtg and 9th in OppFG%).

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...ense/20081033/

He’s young and still has lots to prove, but he’s already getting interviews and will likely be getting a shot in the new couple of years from someone.

David Fizdale – Assistant in Miami

A NBA assistant since 2003, he’s been on Spo’s staff in Miami since 2008. He’s also the team’s Director of Player Development. At 40 years old, he has yet to be a Head Coach but in part due to his own reluctance to leave Miami. But the post-LeBron Miami Heat is a different beast, so perhaps the tune has changed. Here’s something from just 6 weeks ago:

http://allucanheat.com/2015/01/27/mi...ortunity-soon/

Alex Jensen – Assistant in Utah

The 2013 D-League Coach of the Year, played professionally in Turkey, Spain and China. At 38 years old, the 6’7 Jensen is considered one of the up and comers in the coaching ranks.

Robert Pack – Assistant in OKC

Pack has been an assistant in the NBA since 2009 (New Orleans), with a stop with the Clippers from 2010-2013 on his way to OKC. As an undrafted PG who went on to play 13 seasons, the guy has proven to be a hard worker.

Marc Jackson – Not someone I am interested in personally, here is a good example of why:

“While Jackson excelled as a leader, he was not interested in the minutiae of coaching, according to sources. He so rarely watched film that the video team eventually stopped loading clips onto his laptop. He didn’t draw up plays during huddles, or carry a clipboard. He often looked at his cellphone during practice, even when management was around. His relationship with the front office grew more strained.” Via Hoopshype.com
    Any new coach needs to have been a successful HC somewhere preferably with college coaching. Bayno also should be considered and if D-league success means anything Nurse. Too many assistants have proven to be complete garbage as Head Coaches

Comment

raptors999 wrote: View Post
      Any new coach needs to have been a successful HC somewhere preferably with college coaching. Bayno also should be considered and if D-league success means anything Nurse. Too many assistants have proven to be complete garbage as Head Coaches
      I was trying to find some examples other than the re-treads that have been largely discussed. mcHappy's post (linked) lists a lot of the re-treads anyways.

I agree, success in college is a great asset, but I don't think it is a mandatory. Look at the best hires in recent history, and guys like Spo and Stevens stick out to me. Neither had NBA HC and took very different paths. I don't think there is a one path to take, so all avenues must be looked at.

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

I was trying to find some examples other than the re-treads that have been largely discussed. mcHappy's post (linked) lists a lot of the re-treads anyways.

I agree, success in college is a great asset, but I don't think it is a mandatory. Look at the best hires in recent history, and guys like Spo and Stevens stick out to me. Neither had NBA HC and took very different paths. I don't think there is a one path to take, so all avenues must be looked at.
        Successful coaches Thibs, JVG are known are should be considered #1 , but Stevens was at Butler and Brown on the Sixer's was HC in Australia. A lot of the better assistant coach were with good organizations a long time under really good NBA guys like Riley and Pop, not just good HC but good organizational guys too. Difference between Carlisle and Pop is GM duties imho

Comment

raptors999 wrote: View Post
          Successful coaches Thibs, JVG are known are should be considered #1 , but Stevens was at Butler and Brown on the Sixer's was HC in Australia. A lot of the better assistant coach were with good organizations a long time under really good NBA guys like Riley and Pop, not just good HC but good organizational guys too. Difference between Carlisle and Pop is GM duties imho
          I would honestly take Hoiberg over Thibs. Thibs is more set in his ways and kinda stubborn (like someone else we all know). I see Hoiberg as a better long term option.

Comment

Top 50 College coaches as ranked by ESPN last year:

http://espn.go.com/ncb/notebook/_/pa...-billy-donovan

Most are obviously unattainable.

Comment

It is crazy how raps fans got spoiled by a lucky trade and shitty division and now think the raptors are going to win any time soon. This process is going to take at least 5 years before we will see any potential at a championship. Every one is learning, everyone is growing and everyone is improving. Trades don't solve everything and can even make it worse. Just enjoy the success we are seeing and let Masai do his job. No need to shit on the coaching staff or players especially since no one here is an expert, no one has been a part of coaching a championship team and no one knows what goes on behind closed doors. These guys are people just like any one else and go through swings, they make mistakes, learn and grow etc. Our success will be based on how well they learn, how well they stick together and how well they fight through adversity.... not how well we can trade away people when they just started doing well.

tl;dr our entire team is 2 years away from being 2 years away. lets not get ahead of ourselves.

Comment

Reboc wrote: View Post
                It is crazy how raps fans got spoiled by a lucky trade and shitty division and now think the raptors are going to win any time soon. This process is going to take at least 5 years before we will see any potential at a championship. Every one is learning, everyone is growing and everyone is improving. Trades don't solve everything and can even make it worse. Just enjoy the success we are seeing and let Masai do his job. No need to shit on the coaching staff or players especially since no one here is an expert, no one has been a part of coaching a championship team and no one knows what goes on behind closed doors. These guys are people just like any one else and go through swings, they make mistakes, learn and grow etc. Our success will be based on how well they learn, how well they stick together and how well they fight through adversity.... not how well we can trade away people when they just started doing well.

tl;dr our entire team is 2 years away from being 2 years away. lets not get ahead of ourselves.
                Entirely the type of post I was hoping to keep out of this thread (it really belongs in the #FireCasey thread).

Comment

Reboc wrote: View Post

Bold 1: What success are we seeing? I mean that with all due respect. I don't see anything successful outside of thinking being 38-26 is an achievement.

Bold 2: That argument has been brought up a lot this season. If that is the case, why did people such as myself see the problems back in November that were arising and have come fully to fruition? But assuming that was just a lucky guess, and it might have been, what else are we going to do on forums except talk sh!t?

Bold 3: I don't see the doing well. Players are regressing and the team is regressing. If we want to compare this team to the Kevin O'Neill years and latter Colangelo years, ok, then all is good. But I would think the goal at this point is to continue to show progress and improvement. That isn't happening.

Comment

Entirely the type of post I was hoping to keep out of this thread (it really belongs in the #FireCasey thread).
                    That is a good point.

Sorry, I replied.

Maybe they could get moved to #FireCasey?

Comment

Hahaha this is the best thing ever.
                      I like the idea of coaching.....I just don't like any of the things that a coach needs to do.

Comment

Letter N wrote: View Post
                        Hahaha this is the best thing ever.
                        I like the idea of coaching.....I just don't like any of the things that a coach needs to do.
                        haha yup, that basically seems to be it. Best suited as an analyst.

Comment

Hoiberg looks promising but college coaches going to NBA is always a crap shoot.

Comment

psrs1 wrote: View Post
                            Hoiberg looks promising but college coaches going to NBA is always a crap shoot.
                            True but he was an NBA player and spent time in front office.

His biggest knock would be it was Minny's front office-lol

Comment

Ah, coaching candidates. Let me think about some of the names brought up...

I like Hoiberg and Thibs, partly because I actually have an idea how, and how well, they coach.

Names I don't like...
                              -Payton: great player, but he spent a lot of his career under Karl, and I'm not sure how well he'd actually scheme/strategize. Do not want to be the team giving him a first shot.
                              -Walberg: somehow reminds me of a Tex Winter type of situation. The kind of guy who'd be your offensive assistant and design your schemes. But he's never had a decent HC job. Could be good, but I'm skeptical.
                              -Marc Jackson: didn't think he'd be a good coach before GSW, and I can't say I think any differently now.

Other names I really don't know much of anything about.

Pack I remember as a player. Bit players always intrigue me a bit as coaching candidates. You've really gotta understand something if you make a career with limited skill as a player and then move on to coaching.

Also glad Karl is out of the mix now. Hated how much people would bring him up as an option since MU took the GM job.

I might add the obvious "is anyone on the Spurs staff a potentially good choice?". Might end up with a Mike Brown, but might be a Mike Budenholzer.

-Fitting into my "bit players sometimes make good coaches" thoughts...Chip Engelland and Ime Udoka could fit that bill. Chip is now the longest tenured Spurs assistant, however he seems to be more of a development guy, specifically with shooting. Not sure what Udoka does with the team. Funny angles are that Chip played in Canada while still a player, and Udoka is Nigerian.

-Ettore Messina might be the best name on the staff. Longtime Euro coach and often called the greatest coach in Europe. Came over to be an assistant under Pop. I assume learning the NBA ropes since he'd probably have to slightly change his style. But I wonder if he's the guy being groomed to take over Pop's job. Still, gotta wonder if he'd jump at a head coaching offer if one was given this summer.

-Not sure what to make of Boylen or Forcier. Boylen's had a long career as an assistant and has head coached in NCAA (Utah). I really like that Forcier's assisted under Carlisle and Pop. Hammon's a good story, but this is her first year as a coach and in the NBA. She seems to be in a "learn the ropes" situation, and doubt she's a viable choice at this point.

Comment

Working...
                              X