Potential Coaching Candidates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TRex wrote: View Post
    Question to all the people that are suggesting college coaches/assistant NBA coaches to replace Casey. Names that i've never even heard before.

How do you know these guys? like how do you know they're a good coach? lol. For instance Fred Hoiberg. Do you really follow his team closely? I DON'T. I don't even know his team. If you do follow these guys then i applaud you, not sure how you do it but i applaud you.

I'm guessing most of you just read stuff on the internet right?

"Hey i read about that guy on ESPN, he's going to be a good coach in the NBA"

*insert college commentators name here* said that guy is a great coach! he must be. I want him to be the next head coach of the Raps.

"He's Popovich's assistant. He's going to be a great coach, i want him"

That's how it works here right? lol

The reality is most of you have no idea what you're talking about, about these coaches. Prove me wrong.
    Watching college basketball is easily the first step towards knowing who these guys are. They may seem obscure to you, but most college guys have had years of success before they even get mentioned on the national stage. It doesn't take much to find an obscure team on a Saturday afternoon and latch on after watching an exciting game. Conference Tourneys and March Madness only heighten the exposure of the good ones. Some get over-hyped (Shaka Smart is one in my opinion - great college scheme, but would never translate to the NBA) and some are in small schools that no one knew existed until they explode onto the national stage in March (Brad Stevens and the Butler run with Gordon Haywood would be an example of this).

Hoiberg gets an obvious advantage of being a former NBA player that I remember as a player. He was a Korver-lite in the pre-3 point era of the NBA. Iowa State is a pretty damn fun team to watch and have been for the last couple of years. They shoot a lot of 3s and attack the hoop. They are a fast paced team who will push the ball hard, but will pull up and run a set when the defence gets back. This shows me that they are an intelligently run offence. When you watch the ball movement, the use of the pick n roll, etc, you can see what tenets are preached; the crispness of certain actions are clear indicators of what the coach is most vocal about.

Attention to detail without micromanaging is, to me, the most important skill for a NBA coach. When you see that a team consistently finds their box-out assignment vs a team that has players rely solely on athleticism for rebounding; that tells you something. If the coach is calling out every decision from the bench for the offence, that is something that I see as a fault for the NBA, where players expect a certain amount of 'hands off' coaching.

Another thing to look for is teams that make successful half-time and in-game adjustments. If you are getting killed by a specific match-up, what adjustments are made? College often has players who are simply not the same level of athlete (both in size and athleticism) guarding each other; so a coach that can make a scheme or designed change impact the game is obviously a good basketball mind, and one worth paying closer attention to. It's not that hard to remember someone's name or team is it? If you can't remember the coaches name, you'll usually remember the team name; quick google search will confirm.

Yes, reading other people's opinions is certainly part of the process, but largely as a validation for the things that I am already seeing. Seeing Hoiberg's name linked to other NBA teams certainly strengthens my belief in him, but to say that someone only reads ESPN and then jumps on a name is a pretty cynical approach.

Point of threads like this is that because there are so many NCAA team's, people will have found their own "niche" team to cheer for. When we have different exposure, threads like this allow us to share our thoughts with people who, perhaps, have not seen that team/coach.

Same as the draft threads with prospects. Last year, first page I posted about Adreian Payne of Michigan State. As a Spartans fan, I catch a fair number of their games. He was a senior who hadn't yet reached the upper-echelon of NCAA stars and was far from a house-hold name. mcHappy, who started the thread, hadn't heard of him - but he was someone I had watched a lot. My comment allowed mcHappy to learn about someone he may not have heard about otherwise (of course, Payne ended up as the 15th pick - so obviously mcHappy would have heard of him eventually). The exact same concept applies here. I make observations, I share and read other people's observations.

Now, NBA assistants is obviously a different beast. Without being privy to the team, you can't really determine what impacts each assistant has. But there are certainly trends you can look for. Teams that are successful aren't necessarily there by accident. Houston assistant Bickerstaff was one name I put out in the OP. I recognized his name from his dad and time with the Charlotte Bobcats. Not exactly a ringing endorsement, but then when you see a quote "given responsibility for the defence" in Houston and then that Houston is a very good defensive team then you are getting somewhere.

I don't think anyone in this thread has really said, this assistant is the guy we should hire. We have thrown out names for consideration. I don't think there is anyone who would hire a current NBA assistant without interviewing him first, we are simply brain-storming.

After you read this post, I can almost guarantee that the next Rockets game you watch, you'll be paying closer attention to their defence and their assistants on the bench. Isn't that really the point?

So I don't know if that proved you wrong or not; but I do hope it at least opened your mind to accept that assessing coaching candidates is every bit as valid a topic as discussing NBA prospects, or Casey, or Derozan. We are all outsiders looking in; on every topic. Saying that someone has no idea what they are talking about isn't reality. We all watch, we all draw on our own experiences, we can all share opinions. Sometimes our opinions are right, sometimes they are wrong; it's all part of the fun that is the RR.
    Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

• As a Michigan State fan (mostly an Izzo fan really), just wanted to share this. Guy will never be the coach of the Raps (doubt he ever leaves his current spot, and if he does, it's for the Pistons), but he has a lot of the qualities we want in a bench boss.

http://www.si.com/college-basketball...inia-cavaliers
      Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

• I'm gonna ask this straight up:

If we fire Casey, should we give Sterner a chance to be a HC?
        Axel wrote:
        Now Cody can stop posting about this guy and we have a poster to blame if anything goes wrong!!
        KeonClark wrote:
        We won't hear back from him. He dissapears into thin air and reappears when you least expect it. Ten is an enigma. Ten is a legend. Ten for the motherfucking win.
        KeonClark wrote:
        I can't wait until the playoffs start.

Until then, opinions are like assholes. Everyone has one and they most often stink

Comment

• Cody73 wrote: View Post
          I'm gonna ask this straight up:

Correct me if I'm wrong, I can't really double check right now, but weren't most of the ACs brought in by MU? It wouldn't shock me if one of them gets the bump to HC depending on how things are going behind the scenes.

Comment

• Bandit wrote: View Post
            Correct me if I'm wrong, I can't really double check right now, but weren't most of the ACs brought in by MU? It wouldn't shock me if one of them gets the bump to HC depending on how things are going behind the scenes.
            Sterner wasn't. He was on Casey's staff before.

However, there were stories suggesting that Casey's staff under BC was more put together by BC than by Casey. This current staff seems to be one that Casey and Masai agreed upon. And it's not surprising Sterner was the only one kept, since he was in Dallas with Casey as well.

Comment

• Cody73 wrote: View Post
              I'm gonna ask this straight up:

No.. if Casey is fired and an assistant was promoted then I'd give the reigns to Bayno or Nurse (preferably Bayno as he has more experience and is defensive-minded).

Comment

• white men can't jump wrote: View Post

However, there were stories suggesting that Casey's staff under BC was more put together by BC than by Casey. This current staff seems to be one that Casey and Masai agreed upon. And it's not surprising Sterner was the only one kept, since he was in Dallas with Casey as well.
                Would make sense, seems to follow MU's theme of trying to give the HC everything he needs to succeed. Be interesting to see if MU has his guy on the bench then or not

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
                  No.. if Casey is fired and an assistant was promoted then I'd give the reigns to Bayno or Nurse (preferably Bayno as he has more experience and is defensive-minded).
                  I like Bayno and Sterner as HC candidates myself. I don't want Nurse getting the job.
                  Axel wrote:
                  Now Cody can stop posting about this guy and we have a poster to blame if anything goes wrong!!
                  KeonClark wrote:
                  We won't hear back from him. He dissapears into thin air and reappears when you least expect it. Ten is an enigma. Ten is a legend. Ten for the motherfucking win.
                  KeonClark wrote:
                  I can't wait until the playoffs start.

Until then, opinions are like assholes. Everyone has one and they most often stink

Comment

• white men can't jump wrote: View Post

Casey was most likely not going to be extended when the assistants were brought in. MLSE made as mistake not canning him when they replaced BC.

Comment

• Should've been gone with BC. But I think MU wants to keep him around until he finds THE guy to lead this franchise.
                      I don't think he has found him yet.
                      It's hard to find any value to those 12 assistants wheN this team looks unprepared almost every single nights.

raptors999 wrote: View Post
                      Casey was most likely not going to be extended when the assistants were brought in. MLSE made as mistake not canning him when they replaced BC.

Comment

• Anyone but Casey
                        The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

Comment

• If Casey is fired this smmer and that's a big IF. This is the guy i want.

Mamba Mentality

Comment

If Casey is fired this smmer and that's a big IF. This is the guy i want.

Well then you better pack a bag for Masai with him:

To land Calipari it would likely mean that he is handed not only the coaching reins, but the keys to the franchise, too, the same ones they wouldn’t give Kidd. That means the sort of power that Stan Van Gundy got in Detroit, Flip Saunders in Minnesota and Doc Rivers with the Clippers.

Comment

If Casey is fired this smmer and that's a big IF. This is the guy i want.

can't say i would have seen that coming.

He didn't exactly do much the first time around in the NBA. Not sure how much of that is on him though, and it was a long time ago.

Comment

• KHD wrote: View Post
                                can't say i would have seen that coming.

He didn't exactly do much the first time around in the NBA. Not sure how much of that is on him though, and it was a long time ago.
                                His Nets tenure was a disaster but that was a long time ago. I just worry about these guys who think they can be GMs and coaches at the same time. Personally, I don't see how any one man can effectively do those two jobs at the same time.

The logical place for him was Cleveland but that moment has passed. The other team that seems like an obvious fit, to me at least, is in New Orleans but I have no real sense of that organization. It's hard to think of a good organization that would clear the decks for him and I can't imagine he'd want some total rebuild.

Comment

Working...
                                X