Potential Coaching Candidates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• slaw wrote: View Post
    His Nets tenure was a disaster but that was a long time ago. I just worry about these guys who think they can be GMs and coaches at the same time. Personally, I don't see how any one man can effectively do those two jobs at the same time.

The logical place for him was Cleveland but that moment has passed. The other team that seems like an obvious fit, to me at least, is in New Orleans but I have no real sense of that organization. It's hard to think of a good organization that would clear the decks for him and I can't imagine he'd want some total rebuild.
    He reached the playoff his first year then a strike shortened injury disappointment. Orlando could use a guard oriented coach like him

Comment

His Nets tenure was a disaster but that was a long time ago. I just worry about these guys who think they can be GMs and coaches at the same time. Personally, I don't see how any one man can effectively do those two jobs at the same time.

The logical place for him was Cleveland but that moment has passed. The other team that seems like an obvious fit, to me at least, is in New Orleans but I have no real sense of that organization. It's hard to think of a good organization that would clear the decks for him and I can't imagine he'd want some total rebuild.
      Yeah, i agree. Also, how much is a team gonna pay him? He makes like $7M per year at Kentucky.

Comment

He would have a huge advantage in free agency. I'm sure many of his former players (Boogie, Davis, Wall, Jones, MKG, Knight, etc.) would jump at the opportunity to play for him again. As others have said though, I think by committing to him, you get rid of coaches and MU. I still think I would do it tbh. His work at Kentucky is crazy, he has proven that he can attract the best talent and win. Seems like most teams would want him though.

Comment

• Hate Coach Cal. Not even in a basketball sense but just can't stand the guy.

He's a recruiter first and foremost. He isn't half the coach that guys like Izzo, Bo Ryan, Coach K are. He wins with supreme talent more than excellent coaching.
          Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

• Axel wrote: View Post
            Hate Coach Cal. Not even in a basketball sense but just can't stand the guy.

He's a recruiter first and foremost. He isn't half the coach that guys like Izzo, Bo Ryan, Coach K are. He wins with supreme talent more than excellent coaching.
            He isn't known for his integrity either. Every stop he's been in (UMass, Memphis or even now) some sh*t has gone down with the university having to forfeit the wins, banners earned during his time and him move on to somewhere scott-free. Plus his time with the Nets was marred by struggles with his own players.
            Give me liberty or give me a bran muffin! - Colin Mochrie

Comment

• 2013 list has seen 3 of 7 candidates become NBA head coaches: Kerr, Blatt, Joerger.
              http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/pos...nba-head-coach

Last season's list actually produced an NBA head coach - Quin Snyder with Utah.

http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/pos...hing-prospects

Kevin Arnovitz at ESPN comes back with another list in 2015:

Kenny Atkinson, Atlanta Hawks assistant coach

After a nice college career as a point guard at Richmond, Atkinson had a long career in Europe, where he stayed to coach before heading to New York. He's worldly, with a curiosity for forward-thinking ideas, everything from injury prevention to analytics. He's someone who would look for new solutions as a head coach rather than insist he has every answer and rely on tired conventional wisdom.

Tyronn Lue, Cleveland Cavaliers assistant coach

"He respects the work that's required to do the job and he has the gift of being able to verbalize things to players in a straightforward way without being offensive," Rivers says. "He sees things in games a lot of people can't see. He'd see opportunities for us -- in games, watching film, observing -- and would bring them to me. He has a chance to be very special."

When Rivers took over in Los Angeles in July 2013, he quickly dispatched for Lue, who spent the entire summer breaking down the league, and meticulously studying the Clippers' core. His observations were instrumental in building the architecture for a defense that finished the season ranked seventh in efficiency.

Clippers players loved Lue, and he's earned the trust of a Cavs roster with several combustible parts. By all accounts, he has been crucial in maintaining relative order and harmony in the locker room. Lue is on a four-year deal, but it's difficult to imagine he'll still be the associate head coach in Cleveland three seasons from now.

Jay Larranaga, Boston Celtics assistant coach

He played pro ball in Europe for over a decade, enjoyed a solid run in the D-League as a head coach for two seasons before landing on Rivers' bench in Boston, where he remains under Stevens.

"Coaching is in his blood and he's been around the game his whole life," Celtics president of basketball operations Danny Ainge says. "He's a class act, an intelligent, experienced basketball mind."

In a player's league with know-it-all owners, miked-up coaches and constant media scrutiny, temperament has never been more important. Larranaga scores well in this event, a coach who understands how to relate to a varied roster of players, can motivate a staff and whose likability will endear him to ownership and the media. In 2013, he got a close look from Philadelphia and consideration to succeed Rivers in Boston. He'll continue to appear on lists for vacancies as he hones his identity as a coach.

Nate Bjorkgren, Bakersfield Jam head coach

There's a school of thought among some in the NBA that the most valuable attribute a candidate can have is head-coaching experience somewhere -- be it college, the D-League or overseas. Working as a top assistant under an elite head coach offers all kinds of training, but a head coach is the chief operating officer above all else, and there's no substitute for spending time in the first chair, where the buck stops. For years, basketball's minor leagues served as a testing ground for potential NBA head coaches. Phil Jackson and George Karl both wet their feet in the Continental Basketball Association, and Joerger has proved that minor league basketball is still a quality finishing school.

Bjorkgren has compiled a robust D-League resume with sustained success wherever he's landed. He is known as an intensely self-critical coach who viscerally hates losing. His supporters describe someone who has markedly matured over the past four seasons, and he's learned when to push buttons and when to lay off, both with players and staff.

"He's won everywhere he's been," says Warriors assistant GM Kirk Lacob, who was instrumental in hiring Bjorkgren at Dakota when it was Golden State's affiliate. "He does a great job with players. He connects with them on a personal level, and also he cares about their personal careers."

Regarded less as an innovator-philosopher and more as pragmatic problem-solver, Bjorkgren is a likely candidate to soon find his way to an NBA bench as an assistant -- not unlike Nick Nurse, under whom he served as an assistant -- then possibly an opportunity to roam the sidelines down the road.
              Ime Udoka, San Antonio Spurs assistant coach

The former journeyman has fewer than three seasons as an NBA assistant under Popovich, but already has a number of fans around the league who have a ton of admiration for his basketball smarts, manner and personal journey.

Udoka was a fourth-round pick in the NBDL draft, and toiled in obscurity until he got an invite from his hometown Portland Trail Blazers, who were in search of a warm body, and he ended up starting 75 games. Naturally, the Spurs came calling, and he was adopted as family, spending three of the final five seasons of his playing career in San Antonio.

"He exudes a confidence and a comfort in his own skin where people just gravitate to him," Popovich says. "He's a fundamentally sound teacher because he's comfortable with himself, he knows the material and players read it. Often times, I'll say, 'Ime, can you go talk to so-and-so? Go talk to Patty Mills, go talk to Timmy, go talk to Kawhi.' And he'll do it better than I would do it -- and I'm not blowing smoke. The only thing I don't like about him is that he doesn't drink, so I can't enjoy a glass of wine with him. He's really boring at dinner."

Players and coaches who know him describe Udoka as a stoic with an even disposition, more of an inner intensity than a roaring fire. At Spurs U, he's at the finest graduate school in the league, alongside another oft-mentioned name, Boylen, who was listed in 2014 as a future head coach. Udoka probably has a couple more years of seasoning ahead of him, but it's not long before he hits the interview circuit.

Comment

• mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
                2013 list has seen 3 of 7 candidates become NBA head coaches: Kerr, Blatt, Joerger.
                http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/pos...nba-head-coach

Last season's list actually produced an NBA head coach - Quin Snyder with Utah.

Kevin Arnovitz at ESPN comes back with another list in 2015:

Kinda strange that none of our assistants made the list. Nate Bjorkgren was an assistant to Nurse in the D-League. Maybe if we hire Nurse, Bjorkgren will be brought in as an assistant.

Comment

• Don't know was he mentioned or not but how 'bout Rick Adelman??
                  No new friends (c)

Comment

• MoscowRussia wrote: View Post
                    Don't know was he mentioned or not but how 'bout Rick Adelman??
                    He retired. Red Aurbauch ?

Comment

• I must be the only one here who think if we really want to compete within the next 2 years, we need a proven NBA head coach and not risk it on some assistant coach with no head coaching experience.

Comment

• MoscowRussia wrote: View Post
                        Don't know was he mentioned or not but how 'bout Rick Adelman??
                        He's retired
                        "Both teams played hard my man" - Sheed

Comment

• McRealistic wrote: View Post
                          I must be the only one here who think if we really want to compete within the next 2 years, we need a proven NBA head coach and not risk it on some assistant coach with no head coaching experience.
                          Tell that to Greg Popovich, Budenholzer, Kerr, Stevens, etc.

If anything I strictly do not want an experience coach, because generally what it means is they werent good enough for previous organizations...so why would they be what we want?

Comment

• OldSkoolCool wrote: View Post
                            Tell that to Greg Popovich, Budenholzer, Kerr, Stevens, etc.

If anything I strictly do not want an experience coach, because generally what it means is they werent good enough for previous organizations...so why would they be what we want?
                            That's a very good point. The only head coaches who've changed teams recently and been successful at their new team were guys who were traded in Rivers and Kidd. Outside of Thibs (if he gets fired), there isn't a guy with head coaching experience out there that seems like a really good candidate.

Comment

• Primer wrote: View Post
                              That's a very good point. The only head coaches who've changed teams recently and been successful at their new team were guys who were traded in Rivers and Kidd. Outside of Thibs (if he gets fired), there isn't a guy with head coaching experience out there that seems like a really good candidate.
                              Mike Malone. Other coaches were fired because they weren't good. Malone was fired because the owner is batshit crazy

Comment

• raptors999 wrote: View Post
                                Mike Malone. Other coaches were fired because they weren't good. Malone was fired because the owner is batshit crazy
                                Malone seems like a terrible candidate. He had one season as head coach and his team sucked, then he got fired this year while his team was 11-13. His career win % is .368. Casey is a better coach than that guy. Prior to coaching Sacramento he was an assistant for a bunch of mediocre to bad teams. He was a terrible hire for Sac in the 1st place, their old ownership sucked too.

Comment

Working...
                                X