Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Preseason Game #2. Raps vs Cairns (don't pronounce the "r"....it's what most tuna comes in ) Taipans (maybe it was just easier to say it rhymes with that). Sunday Oct 15th 6pm on SN1

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    planetmars wrote: View Post
    Not a lot of comments from this game. Guess it's really tough to analyze playing such a bad team in a pointless game. The Taipans missed a lot of shots.. some clean and wide open. Helped the Raptors gain a huge lead.

    Good to see both Pascal and Scottie hit 3's. Scottie's shooting form looks a lot better than it did the last couple of year. He made some aggressive plays which was great to see. Some really good passes.. the one to Chris on an open break off a Schroeder pass was really fun. But he also sometimes makes the wrong pass. A better shot is available at a corner or at the rim and he ends up doing a no look pass to someone else who didn't have quite the clean shot or isn't as good of a 3pt shooter. 5 turnovers is too many. I know they want to play fast and quick and pass a lot, but some of those turnovers have to be cleaned up a bit. Pascal was really great in this one. OG was solid as well. Boucher got to the boards and brought his usual energy.

    Dick made some nice reads. He only had 5 points and was inefficient again, but he seems to be a good smart player. Eventually his offense will translate. I thought Flynn was a lot better in this one than the previous one. He wasn't tripping over himself. Only one turnover. Made 2 threes. If we can get him to be an average 3pt shooter that's a good thing. He has the form and all but I think the game is still too fast for him. Dowtin made a big impact coming into this game. +16 in 8 minutes. He brings a lot of poise and that helped keep the ship afloat. I just don't think he'll get a spot though unfortunately. I'm not sure who Masai would cut. I would have cut Temple or not even bring him into camp but whatever. JFL was really good and he seems to be the diamond in the rough that we've been sniffing at the past 2-3 years. Hopefully he sticks. I am not solid on Harper. I think he's gotten worse.

    But yeah the Taipans sucked.. 5-30 from 3. That's fugly. Payton missing everything at the free throw line was pretty funny.. especially when A-Dub was talking him up a bit and then had to quickly retract.

    Hopefully we get a better game out of the Bulls tomorrow.
    Harper, Nowell and Temple should be cut/waived, asap. Malachi & Thad are on the bubble. Dowtin & Liberty should get a fair shot at rotation minutes. Dowtin showed enough last year to earn an opportunity.

    Comment


    • #17
      Do we have to wait another week for another preseason game?

      Comment


      • #18
        golden wrote: View Post

        Harper, Nowell and Temple should be cut/waived, asap. Malachi & Thad are on the bubble. Dowtin & Liberty should get a fair shot at rotation minutes. Dowtin showed enough last year to earn an opportunity.
        JFL is on a 2-way as are Harper and Nowell. They can only play for the Raptors for 50 games, and no playoffs unless they get a full deal.

        So yeah I agree.. we need to cut Temple.

        Blake does a good job explaining the Dowtin situation here:
        https://www.sportsnet.ca/nba/article...h-the-raptors/

        Essentially we can cut anyone from the roster and replace them with Dowtin without being a tax team. I would even take Gueye or Maker over Temple. Temple adds nothing at all. Just a complete waste of a signing.

        Comment


        • #19
          LJ2 wrote: View Post
          Do we have to wait another week for another preseason game?
          Play the Bulls tomorrow. Then last one is against Washington on Friday. Only 4 preseason games for us this year.

          Comment


          • #20
            At least those will be against NBA competition. Hope Demar's daughter isn't in the audience.

            Comment


            • #21
              And the game isn't on TV, way to drum up the interest in this team. Gotta find a steam I guess

              Comment


              • #22
                G____Deane wrote: View Post
                And the game isn't on TV, way to drum up the interest in this team. Gotta find a steam I guess
                Zach Lowe ranked Raptors top 3 least watchable teams (28th in League Pass Rankings). Yikes. And Zach is usually a big Raptors supporter.

                That's what kind of fan interest a stuck-in-the-middle team will get you. A whole lotta "meh".... which is far worse than love or hate.

                Comment


                • #23
                  golden wrote: View Post

                  Zach Lowe ranked Raptors top 3 least watchable teams (28th in League Pass Rankings). Yikes. And Zach is usually a big Raptors supporter.

                  That's what kind of fan interest a stuck-in-the-middle team will get you. A whole lotta "meh".... which is far worse than love or hate.
                  Gotta hope they come out strong to start the season so fans have some hope to cling onto. If they go off on a losing streak then it will be pretty unbearable for most fans to watch. Hopefully Masai finally does something with this roster at that point.

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    G____Deane wrote: View Post
                    And the game isn't on TV, way to drum up the interest in this team. Gotta find a steam I guess
                    it's on TSN.

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      i think zach is basing his rankings on last year's team which was absolutely unwatchable even for us fans, and not factoring in a revamped half-court offense enough (even though he acknowledges a new coach).

                      lot's of doom and gloom around here. i'm pretty pumped and am encouraged by what i've seen through two preseason games, even if i still absolutely hate the starting lineup (and so does the coach it seems, who has done everything he can to break up the scottie/dennis/pascal (and jak, in game 1) group except for nominal minutes at the start of halves).

                      scottie's had the ball in his hands and been more consistently aggressive than any time i can ever remember in these games, and looks like a guy who knows he's now at or near the top of the pecking order. that's all i've been asking for since the beginning of last season.

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        LOL

                        ESPN barely covered games of this team for the past two years now and here they are throwing their two cents about the team’s watchability rating. That is so rich and hypocritical. Funny to refer to Zach Lowe’s opinion piece as the word of god.

                        Or maybe he was just referring to the past two season’s ratings because I tend to agree how cringy they were.

                        That being said, losing an inefficient chucker who barely could run a decent half court play, cannot defend the point of attack this offseason YET gained a change in culture and different style of play May boost our ratings and everything should be moving upwards from here on out.

                        Zach Lowe’s piece may just be buried then in the Annals of History. LOL

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Shouldn't non-Australians pronounce Cairns as written - with the 'r' sound? We don't pronounce 'Paris' like the French...

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            planetmars wrote: View Post

                            JFL is on a 2-way as are Harper and Nowell. They can only play for the Raptors for 50 games, and no playoffs unless they get a full deal.

                            So yeah I agree.. we need to cut Temple.

                            Blake does a good job explaining the Dowtin situation here:
                            https://www.sportsnet.ca/nba/article...h-the-raptors/

                            Essentially we can cut anyone from the roster and replace them with Dowtin without being a tax team. I would even take Gueye or Maker over Temple. Temple adds nothing at all. Just a complete waste of a signing.
                            I think Darko would disagree, Temple was signed for lockerroom leadership and probably has a future in coaching and/or in an NBA front-office.

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              golden wrote: View Post

                              Zach Lowe ranked Raptors top 3 least watchable teams (28th in League Pass Rankings). Yikes. And Zach is usually a big Raptors supporter.

                              That's what kind of fan interest a stuck-in-the-middle team will get you. A whole lotta "meh".... which is far worse than love or hate.
                              For the most part, their players don't have "it" that brings a lot of excitement.
                              Pascal is OK but hardly an electric take-over-the-game type of player.
                              Fred had a bit of admirable bet-on-yourslef going on but was realistically a B level star.
                              OG doesn't have a personality, Gary was hit and miss and Yak is more like vanilla pudding than Vanilla Ice.

                              I have said for years, since Kyle left the team doesn't have enough skill or

                              to be interesting, certainly to casuals.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X