Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What happened to our defence from last year to this year ?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • What happened to our defence from last year to this year ?

    I understand that Casey is not very popular around here right now. Hi offence is flawed, his minute management of J.V. is questionable and ...

    But one thing that Casey is and is known for is the defence. He is/was one of the top defensive coaches in this league.
    Upon his arrival, our defence, which we were struggling for many years, improved drastically.
    Last year this team had a great defensive performance but ...

    What happened this year ?
    It is the same system, same coach so WHY the defence is this bad?

    Is it that our players are not responding ? Is it that Amir is hurt and his role in defence was much bigger than anyone thought? How about the regression of T.R. ? and ...

    As I said, the answer is not as simple as Casey sucks because if Casey knows one thing and has a resume to prove it is the DEFENCE.

  • #2
    McRealistic wrote: View Post
    I understand that Casey is not very popular around here right now. Hi offence is flawed, his minute management of J.V. is questionable and ...

    But one thing that Casey is and is known for is the defence. He is/was one of the top defensive coaches in this league.
    Upon his arrival, our defence, which we were struggling for many years, improved drastically.
    Last year this team had a great defensive performance but ...

    What happened this year ?
    It is the same system, same coach so WHY the defence is this bad?

    Is it that our players are not responding ? Is it that Amir is hurt and his role in defence was much bigger than anyone thought? How about the regression of T.R. ? and ...

    As I said, the answer is not as simple as Casey sucks because if Casey knows one thing and has a resume to prove it is the DEFENCE.
    Relies too heavily on help defence--'scramble'.

    Comment


    • #3
      It is simple, he is a one trick pony and other teams have found him out.

      When Zach Lowe is writing a breakdown of the defense and how to beat it (in early February I believe), one would think nba coaching staffs were weeks ahead of the observations.

      His lack of awareness and inability to react and change is painfully obvious in more than just his defensive schemes.

      Comment


      • #4
        Does he have the resume to prove it?

        The best defensive teams he was a staff member on were the Sonics, who were already one of the top defensive teams before he started working for them, and as the roster slowly got worse in the late 90s, the D became average to terrible. Even the Mavs only had one top 10 year in the 3 he was there. We've had one. Doesn't seem like his resume proves anything beyond him having been a coach for a long time.

        He clearly focuses on D, but the results are not that impressive.

        Comment


        • #5
          what happened what happened. I tell ya what, NOTHING. Our defense was good for only 2 months last season. (Dec-Feb)

          Comment


          • #6
            mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
            It is simple, he is a one trick pony and other teams have found him out.
            I think that is just a simple way of looking at it. His defence won NBA championship. The man has that in his resume. His reputation on defence is known around the league.

            As I said, People can critisize Casey as much as they want but to question his very strong resume on defensive end, you better have more than just simple claims.

            Comment


            • #7
              I think the biggest problem is the defensive scheme doesn't match the players. Now is that on the coach for not adapting or the GM for not finding the right players?
              Sunny ways my friends, sunny ways
              Because its 2015

              Comment


              • #8
                It's a combination of things. The personnel is partly to blame. Lou Williams isn't great defensively, and Salmons was very good. So, with that change you'd expect the defense to take at least a small step back. Also, that means less minutes for Ross and DeRozan at their best position defensively (SG), so that has an impact as well.

                Also, I think the team has won too many games just by outscoring the other team, so they've developed some bad habits. They just don't seem to be locked in as much.

                Ultimately I think there's nothing wrong with the system they're using. It's very similar to Spoelstra's scheme when LBJ was in Miami (which was extremely effective). Casey just needs to get the team to focus more on that end of the court. I think the players still believe in the scheme, and I expect them to be much better in the playoffs.
                Last edited by OakTree; Thu Mar 19, 2015, 08:10 PM.

                Comment


                • #9
                  McRealistic wrote: View Post
                  I think that is just a simple way of looking at it. His defence won NBA championship. The man has that in his resume. His reputation on defence is known around the league.

                  As I said, People can critisize Casey as much as they want but to question his very strong resume on defensive end, you better have more than just simple claims.
                  So very strong resume is an isolated 6-game sample? Where his scramble heavy D worked against a team with no interior threat, no big man that likes to roll, and no good shooters around LeBron...Oh, and they also played a lot of soft zone, which gave the Heat tons of trouble and which he's barely used in his time in Toronto (maybe it was Carlisle's idea).

                  You say people better have more than claims. But twice you've claimed he has a very strong defensive resume, and the only thing you can really point to is a single series that happened to be for the championship.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    ^^^ My friend, my claim about Casey being a top defensive coach in the league is a known fact around NBA. His resume is his prove on the defensive game. But if your logic is that all his work is an isolated 6-game !!! Then I have nothing else to tell you and continuing this discussion with you is pointless.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Uncle_Si wrote: View Post
                      I think the biggest problem is the defensive scheme doesn't match the players. Now is that on the coach for not adapting or the GM for not finding the right players?
                      Very good question !!!

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        McRealistic wrote: View Post
                        ^^^ My friend, my claim about Casey being a top defensive coach in the league is a known fact around NBA. His resume is his prove on the defensive game. But if your logic is that all his work is an isolated 6-game !!! Then I have nothing else to tell you and continuing this discussion with you is pointless.
                        My friend, have you actually looked at the defensive performance of the teams he's been a staff member on? The only elite defence was in his days in Seattle, and that was ALREADY an elite defensive team. You have not supported your claim at all. "Top defensive coach in the league" is in no way a known fact. Facts require proof/evidence. Otherwise it's just hearsay.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Uncle_Si wrote: View Post
                          I think the biggest problem is the defensive scheme doesn't match the players. Now is that on the coach for not adapting or the GM for not finding the right players?
                          Well...it's always a bit of both, but Casey doesn't even utilize the players he has that WOULD fit his system, like James Johnson. Johnson could easily play a similar role to Marion did in Dallas. However Amir is the only big that can play Chandler's role, and he isn't physically able to do that at this point, and may never be again.

                          In the end though, the coach has to work with what he has. Good coaches know they can't be completely rigid in their principles because there are bound to be things like personnel changes, injuries, decline, etc. that alter the tools at your disposal.

                          Do we have personnel for his system? Not really. But Casey has made no effort to maximize the pieces he has. He's more rigid than that rock he wants to pound.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            McRealistic wrote: View Post
                            I think that is just a simple way of looking at it. His defence won NBA championship. The man has that in his resume. His reputation on defence is known around the league.

                            As I said, People can critisize Casey as much as they want but to question his very strong resume on defensive end, you better have more than just simple claims.
                            Sometimes the simplest ways of looking at things are the most true.

                            A guy can be known as a tough bad ass but that doesn't make him a tough bad ass.

                            As WMCJ said, you're stating claims based on a 6 game sample from 2011.


                            Oh...and welcome back jamshid.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              white men can't jump wrote: View Post
                              So very strong resume is an isolated 6-game sample? Where his scramble heavy D worked against a team with no interior threat, no big man that likes to roll, and no good shooters around LeBron...Oh, and they also played a lot of soft zone, which gave the Heat tons of trouble and which he's barely used in his time in Toronto (maybe it was Carlisle's idea).

                              You say people better have more than claims. But twice you've claimed he has a very strong defensive resume, and the only thing you can really point to is a single series that happened to be for the championship.
                              The bold doesn't really make sense. They didn't make the playoffs and get a bye straight to the finals and only play 6 games to win a championship. You have to play 4 series, minimum 16 games, max 28 games, to prove you have a strong enough defense to win you a championship.

                              The Raptors aren't getting 1 shot (1 series) to win a championship, they'd have to be good enough to get past 4 teams. We can already tell that our bad defense may not even get us past 1 round. Casey's defense had to have been good enough that year with Dallas to win them a championship.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X