Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What happened to our defence from last year to this year ?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #76
    OakTree wrote: View Post
    Well, if you're going to make a statement like that you should back it up. And try not to exaggerate.

    ORTG is up 2 points, DRTG is down 3 points.

    PER, TS% are about the same. (He's still top 10 all time in FG% and 4th in the league this year).

    Rebounding percentages are down a little, block percentage is down a little also.

    Steals, assists, turnover percentages are all around the same.

    Usage is down a little.

    Win shares are down 6.3 to 4.4, which is still a good number.

    OBPM is up, DBPM is down, but still positive. (Lou Will puts up a -3.8 DBPM, and Greivis a -2.2 - which should be a red flag).

    Amir is still an effective player, and on a good contract.

    Summary: stop shitting on Amir. He is a good player on a good contract. Successful teams keep guys like that around.
    Advanced impact. So the first 6 lines are irrelevant to my point. And box plus minus is a crock - it is a model that attempts to replicate RPM but is intentionally less correct to make it easier to compare historically.

    Him on-off splits are far worse than they've ever been on the Raptors. His overall RPM is +1.9 this year - useful player. Last year it was +4.6 - a top 10 player at his position.

    Just because his impact stats have fallen off a cliff doesn't make him a bad player - but he has indeed dropped off a cliff this year. This is in no way the same Amir we've seen in the past.
    twitter.com/dhackett1565

    Comment


    • #77
      DanH wrote: View Post
      Advanced impact. So the first 6 lines are irrelevant to my point. And box plus minus is a crock - it is a model that attempts to replicate RPM but is intentionally less correct to make it easier to compare historically.

      Him on-off splits are far worse than they've ever been on the Raptors. His overall RPM is +1.9 this year - useful player. Last year it was +4.6 - a top 10 player at his position.

      Just because his impact stats have fallen off a cliff doesn't make him a bad player - but he has indeed dropped off a cliff this year. This is in no way the same Amir we've seen in the past.
      Oh, Ok. Let's look at RPM.

      Amir is currently sitting at 74 out of 466 NBA players. That's the 84th percentile. Also, he ranks 4th on the team (out of 15 players), and 2nd among our starters by that measure. At, what, 6 million dollars per year? Yeah, we should run this bum out of town...

      And you're using this to support what argument exactly?

      Back to the OP. Amir is not the problem. He remains at the least an above average defensive player.
      Last edited by OakTree; Sat Mar 21, 2015, 03:54 PM.

      Comment


      • #78
        OakTree wrote: View Post

        Back to the OP. Amir is not the problem. He remains at the least an above average defensive player.
        Above average is not good enough to hold Casey's defence together, as we are seeing.

        Dan didn't say he was a "bum", he just said he's no longer what he was in previous years.

        If you truly think Amir isn't heading the wrong direction, I don't know what you're watching.

        Comment


        • #79
          KHD wrote: View Post
          Above average is not good enough to hold Casey's defence together, as we are seeing.

          Dan didn't say he was a "bum", he just said he's no longer what he was in previous years.

          If you truly think Amir isn't heading the wrong direction, I don't know what you're watching.

          He does seem to wince and wobble somewhat due to wonky ankles. Every once and awhile they seem to give out right under him.

          Comment


          • #80
            The conclusion is:

            We no longer have an elite Amir Johnson to prop up an otherwise originally shitty defensive system. And now we are seeing the stool used to prop up the defense has completely collapsed under the weight

            Comment


            • #81
              OakTree wrote: View Post
              Oh, Ok. Let's look at RPM.

              Amir is currently sitting at 74 out of 466 NBA players. That's the 84th percentile. Also, he ranks 4th on the team (out of 15 players), and 2nd among our starters by that measure. At, what, 6 million dollars per year? Yeah, we should run this bum out of town...

              And you're using this to support what argument exactly?

              Back to the OP. Amir is not the problem. He remains at the least an above average defensive player.
              Only argument I am making is against this statement.

              OakTree wrote: View Post
              Statistically he's pretty much the exact same Amir.
              I never in this particular conversation stated a preference to keep Amir or let him walk, nor what amount I would be willing to pay him.
              twitter.com/dhackett1565

              Comment


              • #82
                IF Casey is a defensive coach, he does not seem to be a particularly good defensive coach.

                If Casey gets out coached in the first round (like last year). He needs to be fired.
                "They're going to have to rename the whole conference after us: Toronto Raptors 2014-2015 Northern Conference Champions" ~ ezzbee Dec. 2014

                "I guess I got a little carried away there" ~ ezzbee Apr. 2015

                "We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

                Comment


                • #83
                  Casey just needs to go. I don't understand why you would run a scramble defense when you have a big man that isn't agile. It's like he doesn't have any common sense. He elects to run this defense with the hope that guys can maintain that level of energy for 48 minutes. Then he complains when we lose out on the boards... well duh Jonas was sitting for the majority of the game.

                  Good motivator, terrible adjuster. Again, Casey is a good assistant coach. He should not be a head coach.

                  Comment


                  • #84
                    mjt20mik wrote: View Post
                    Casey just needs to go. I don't understand why you would run a scramble defense when you have a big man that isn't agile. It's like he doesn't have any common sense. He elects to run this defense with the hope that guys can maintain that level of energy for 48 minutes. Then he complains when we lose out on the boards... well duh Jonas was sitting for the majority of the game.

                    Good motivator, terrible adjuster. Again, Casey is a good assistant coach. He should not be a head coach.
                    Casey's ability to motivate is as overrated as his defensive skills. Coaches ability to motivate is measured by defense, assists, rebounds and efficiency. Everything that requires effort and discipline.

                    Comment


                    • #85
                      ezz_bee wrote: View Post
                      If Casey gets out coached in the first round (like last year). He needs to be fired.
                      Everyone out-coaches him nowadays, looks like he'll be gone soon.

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X