Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What happened to our defence from last year to this year ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Casey got credit when the Raps defense improved, so what's wrong with giving him blame when the Raps defense turns to shit.

Goose, meet Gander.

Comment

white men can't jump wrote: View Post
      But regardless of the exact nuances, if the kid becomes a little shit, no one is going to rave about what a good parent(s) he had just because they cared.

It's obviously a complex issue, but Casey's track record points to him not doing much of anything to merit the label of defsnive coach beyond 'caring' about D, and that one year as an assistant in Dallas.
      They would rave if the parents other child is like the prime minister, it would be obvious that just that one child that is now a little shit was just an anomoly to otherwise solid parenting. (This year is the little shit child year while last year and his first year were prime minister child years)

You can look at last years defensive numbers after the trade to see he is a defensive coach, or the year when he first took over when we went up from 30th in the league to 14th in defense with calderon derozan bargs and gray in his starting 5. None of them were even average defenders.
      Last edited by yabadabayolo; Fri Mar 20, 2015, 12:06 AM.
      I'm back. I no longer worship joe johnson

Comment

Yabadabayolo wrote: View Post
        They would rave if the parents other child is like the prime minister, it would be obvious that just that one child that is now a little shit was just an anomoly to otherwise solid parenting.

You can look at last years defensive numbers after the trade to see he is a defensive coach, or the year when he first took over when we went up from 30th in the league to 14th in defense. (This year is the little shit child year while last year and his first year were prime minister child years)
        Last year's defensive numbers after the trade:

Top 10 in December
        Top 5 in January
        Mediocre in February
        Below average in March and April
        twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

DanH wrote: View Post
          Last year's defensive numbers after the trade:

Top 10 in December
          Top 5 in January
          Mediocre in February
          Below average in March and April
          Rankings aren't as good as looking at adjusted ORtg. Even good years weren't that great about 104-105.

Comment

DanH wrote: View Post
            With JJ on the court, the team's defensive rating has been 101.3. Without him, 106.2.

Those would rank 10th and 25th, so close!

Over the past 15 games, the numbers are more like 98.6 and 108.8.

Those would rank 4th and 29th.

So I don't know that your 25th to 5th is really that far off.
            Got damnn. i didnt know it was that huge. JJ should definatly be starting, if not then at least in the rotation

Comment

wtf bro...

Way it make things personal. Just because he doesn't agree with you doesn't mean he's a troll smh
              There is nothing personal.

It is jamshid.

Comment

wtf bro...

Way it make things personal. Just because he doesn't agree with you doesn't mean he's a troll smh
                It's unknown for sure whether McRealistic is Jamshid, but for a guy who's only been here since last month, he's referred to previous posts dating back to last year. It doesn't add up.

Comment

mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
                  It is simple, he is a one trick pony and other teams have found him out.

lol'd
                  2006-07 NBA Coach of the Year

Comment

They would rave if the parents other child is like the prime minister, it would be obvious that just that one child that is now a little shit was just an anomoly to otherwise solid parenting. (This year is the little shit child year while last year and his first year were prime minister child years)

You can look at last years defensive numbers after the trade to see he is a defensive coach, or the year when he first took over when we went up from 30th in the league to 14th in defense with calderon derozan bargs and gray in his starting 5. None of them were even average defenders.
                    Lots of prime ministers are shits.

Comment

Ok, back to the OP. One thought: are our issues on defence somewhat linked to our offence?

One drawback to ISO-style, 1-on-1 clearouts is that they are static, and really doesn't get the defence moving. So, opposing players can conserve energy on defence and are coming at us with more energy on the offensive side. Difficult to quantify or measure, but I'm wondering if it could be that simple.

Conversely, our guards expend tremendous energy creating 1-on-1 or beating double teams, so they have less energy left to contain dribble penetration, which sets off the chain of reaction in our over-helping defensive scheme.

(Oh, and McReal seems more like pooka to me. Nice irony in that name, lol. Obviously somebody who got into a few scraps with Matt, and was banned, which is a pretty long list. lol. )

Comment

It's because we don't have salmons anymore

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
                          It's unknown for sure whether McRealistic is Jamshid, but for a guy who's only been here since last month, he's referred to previous posts dating back to last year. It doesn't add up.
                          He could have been a long time lurker who finally got the balls to start posting...

Comment

Uncle_Si wrote: View Post
                            I think the biggest problem is the defensive scheme doesn't match the players. Now is that on the coach for not adapting or the GM for not finding the right players?
                            I don't think it's a matter of not matching. More like both, coaching and players at the same time. See, I don't believe any other coach could turn DD into a good defender. Or resurrect Amir for that matter. One may be able to hide him slightly better than Casey... maybe, but is that enough? Not for me. I agree with McHappy about his statement that others have figured our how to beat the Raps and our coach can't adopt. Change in personnel and coaching staff is necessary. Finally, as many players have said it in the past - "defense is effort". Good thing is that it is possible to find good (maybe even great) defensive players late in the draft, then hope they develop a shot/dribble/court vision...

Comment

He could have been a long time lurker who finally got the balls to start posting...
                              Possible, but highly unlikely given this comment the other day:

Some of us here while under attack from the majority of the fans, raised our concerns right from the first day that MU did not do a good job and did not assemble this team the right way.
                              http://www.raptorsrepublic.com/forum...160#post448160

Where there's smoke, there's fire.

Comment

Some random thoughts (aka I don't know the answer to OP's question):

Casey is a good guy and I was really happy to have him the first few months after the Triano era - it was awesome to see the team play (and win by playing) defense again.

It's been all downhill from those first few months, with largely the same personnel. Clearly the system depends on a healthy Amir and doesn't fit Jonas very well. Also, it seems to require a lot of energy and sustained attentiveness, which this team doesn't seem to be able to maintain. Even the Heat dropped off in Spo's system eventually - they looked a lot less defensively intimidating their last year together and then they got carved up by the Spurs.

Other teams have adjusted to expose the Raps and Casey hasn't adjusted or tweaked much of anything, as far as I can see. After seeing their defensive system basically not work for this entire season, do you think the personnel really believes in it anymore?

Great coaches adjust and evolve. Carlisle and Pops have changed systems dramatically and managed to continue to win. A couple years ago Spo and Thibs had these fantastic defenses than nobody knew how to beat - well now the Spurs, Hawks, and GS are pretty well publicized solutions for hyperactive defenses (Spo) and overloading the strong side (Thibs). The defensive coaches need to take the next step to find the best ways to disrupt great ball movement and multiple shooters (if they can). Somehow I don't think Casey is going to be a defensive innovator who's going to develop the next great NBA defense.
                                "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

Working...
                                X