No announcement yet.

JV's Jumpshot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

JV midrange is good but if they add a midrange to a big it should be Amir. He is a pretty solid midrange shooter but terrible low post and would space out for JV

Comment

raptors999 wrote: View Post
      JV midrange is good but if they add a midrange to a big it should be Amir. He is a pretty solid midrange shooter but terrible low post and would space out for JV
      Amir isn't the answer going forward. At least, not if we want to actually become a better basketball team in years to come.

Comment

KHD wrote: View Post
        Amir isn't the answer going forward. At least, not if we want to actually become a better basketball team in years to come.
        They are also trying to add a mid-range jumper to Bebe. Rather than pulling JV out they need to add a PF who can drill shots midrange. If they add a low-post Zbo type PF then pulling JV out makes sense. JV best shot depends on the PF

Comment

If they use JJ at PF pull JV out like Kanter works

Comment

It seems to me that when we run any sort of pick-and-pop option for our bigs, when they get the ball, they stand there for a moment, wait to see if anyone is going to come out and cover them, and only if they remain open for a couple seconds do they shoot. I'd like to see both Amir and JV work on a natural catch-and-shoot rhythm, more than a catch-and-wait-and-shoot. And it's not simply about making those shots, it's about making the other team defend the possibility of a big-man catching-and-shooting. One of the reasons our pick-and-pop doesn't seem to work terribly well right now (other than the fact that we simply don't run it very often) is because defenses don't feel the need to cover our big-men tight in the mid-range... not necessarily because they don't shoot well, but because they take so long to shoot that it's pretty safe to slack off them.

Comment

Not comfortable shooting it. It's also very flat. Need to use his legs more.
              Mamba Mentality

Comment

From what I've seen recently, he stopped pump faking. He used to do it before every shot, even if he was pretty much wide open

Comment

TRex wrote: View Post
                  Not many 7 footers really take jumpers except Durant and Dirk.

Comment

raptors999 wrote: View Post
                    Not many 7 footers really take jumpers except Durant and Dirk.
                    lol kd isnt 7
                    Abbas wrote:

First of all i was my own source

Comment

Abbas wrote: View Post
                      lol kd isnt 7
                      He's taller then listed. He's a legit 6'10 but 6'11+ has been reported.

Comment

TRex wrote: View Post
                        I feel like if he put more arc and legs into his shot he would overshoot it every time due to his high release point (because of his height) and his strength.

His free throws look flat too but they work, I wouldn't really mess with his mechanics.

Comment

About the side PnR between DD/JV. We should see a ton of it now, let alone if he develops a better jumper.

Right now if JV pops to the corner about 15 feet out with DD driving hard around the screen, the defence sags to stop the drive, and JV is wide open. So he could shoot the midrange if DD passes out and the D will be a few steps away. Even better though, he could step into that space, get about 10 feet out, and post up. The Raptors have had a very hard time posting JV up sometimes because their two plays to post him are a back screen below the basket (which has been scouted at this point) or to just let him fight for position while the ball handler just dribbles at the arc. Working the post out of the PnR prevents fronting, and gets JV into a nice position without having to fight to get there, so he'll have his legs under him when he makes a move.
                          twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Most draft reviews of Jonas mentioned his great offensive talent at the p'nr. I fear that because he has been so rarely used (if at all for stretches) the last couple of years this will have stunted is off. development as well. I have also seen mention of him having a decent jump shot, albeit needing refinement, but....

Sometimes I feel more attention (by coaches and mates) has been going into feeding TRoss than using JV's natural strengths on offense.

Comment

DanH wrote: View Post
                              About the side PnR between DD/JV. We should see a ton of it now, let alone if he develops a better jumper.

Right now if JV pops to the corner about 15 feet out with DD driving hard around the screen, the defence sags to stop the drive, and JV is wide open. So he could shoot the midrange if DD passes out and the D will be a few steps away. Even better though, he could step into that space, get about 10 feet out, and post up. The Raptors have had a very hard time posting JV up sometimes because their two plays to post him are a back screen below the basket (which has been scouted at this point) or to just let him fight for position while the ball handler just dribbles at the arc. Working the post out of the PnR prevents fronting, and gets JV into a nice position without having to fight to get there, so he'll have his legs under him when he makes a move.
                              Very true but unfortunately our threshold for JV plays is 2 right now, I don't think we're allowed to have our players learn more than that.

Comment

Bonus Jonas wrote: View Post
                                I'm thinking about it in more a team way.

Of course JV is more effective in the post and doesn't really need that jumpshot. Yes he could probably go the rest of his career without ever re-adding that to his arsenal and be just fine.

But as it stands, a perfect 4 to match with JV is one that defends exceptionally well, is a good passer, and can spread the offense. Without that type of 4, Toronto will always be an average (in contrast) team if they trot out the Lowry-DeMar tandem no matter how well the the SF hits his 3's.

I'm thinking, if JV can hit that shot, then maybe we can get away with a lineup like the Lowry-DD-JJ-Amir one. And in the case we do end up finding that 4 that matches up well with JV, the lineup of Lowry-DD-JJ-4-JV can be flat out dominant.
                                I think the perfect 4 is myles Turner. He's 6'11, shoots really well and is a shot blocker. He shoots 84% at the line. He's projected to go mid lottery(8-15). He has a 7'4 wingspan, is still 18 and is a decent athlete. I would trade two firsts to get him.

Comment

Working...
                                X