Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When will mu have to start taking responsibility for dc's poor defensive coaching schemes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bandit
    replied
    slaw wrote: View Post
    I wouldn't include any of those items as being issues. JV's biggest issues right now are:

1. Defense: He can't defend screen and roll. At all. He is one of the worst players in the NBA at defending spot-ups and is bottom half defending rolls to the bucket.

2. Impact: He is the only regular Raptor who has a negative net rating. And the worst on/off split on the team. Both ORTG and DRTG plummet when he is on the floor. Every single player (other than JJ) has a worst TS% with JV on the floor. He is in all of their worst linueps.

He's an efficient scorer inside, rebounds well enough and adequately protects the rim. Scheme might help some of his defensive issues and his lane clogging wouldn't matter so much if the Raps perimeter people would start making shots again.

And, again, minutes =/= development. None of his issues are a result of lack of "crunch time minutes" or playing time generally. They are a result of significant holes in his defensive game (the offense is fine at this point) starting with his speed and agility.
    Bold one : Finishing with authority is a massive issue, gargantuan gaping hole in his game.

Bold two + three: So he's an efficient player, who has decent defense, doesn't turn the ball over much, rebounds well but isn't useful on the team? If you can find a way to explain to me how he how he isn't helping the team win without including Casey or his schemes I will be impressed. I mean if you asked Lou to play a 30 min game where he got few touches, few shots and a ton of defensive responsibility I don't think he would have a good rating either. I mean the defense requires JV to rush corner 3s on a regular basis... Why not ask the guards to start guarding opposing bigs on a regular basis?

Leave a comment:

• Superjudge
    replied
    I can dig that.

Leave a comment:

• slaw
    replied
    mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
    Play with this chart.

http://bkref.com/tiny/E2p5T

I'm not sure what you can realistically expect out of a still improving 22 year old C.

However your complaints reflect 3 years of belly aching about lack of overall minutes and crunch time/4th quarter minutes.

JVs biggest issues right now are:
    1) his composure
    2) his finishing with authority (I.e dunking whenever possible)
    3) his coach
    I wouldn't include any of those items as being issues. JV's biggest issues right now are:

1. Defense: He can't defend screen and roll. At all. He is one of the worst players in the NBA at defending spot-ups and is bottom half defending rolls to the bucket.

2. Impact: He is the only regular Raptor who has a negative net rating. And the worst on/off split on the team. Both ORTG and DRTG plummet when he is on the floor. Every single player (other than JJ) has a worst TS% with JV on the floor. He is in all of their worst linueps.

He's an efficient scorer inside, rebounds well enough and adequately protects the rim. Scheme might help some of his defensive issues and his lane clogging wouldn't matter so much if the Raps perimeter people would start making shots again.

And, again, minutes =/= development. None of his issues are a result of lack of "crunch time minutes" or playing time generally. They are a result of significant holes in his defensive game (the offense is fine at this point) starting with his speed and agility.

Leave a comment:

• distorsun
    replied
    Your avatar is AWESOME AND IT'S PROBABLY TRUE...LMAO

MACK11 wrote: View Post
    It's pretty ironic how McRealistic isn't realistic

Leave a comment:

• MACK11
    replied
    OldSkoolCool wrote: View Post
    Let's be McRealistic DanH, he's a "stiff"
    It's pretty ironic how McRealistic isn't realistic

Leave a comment:

• OldSkoolCool
    replied
    DanH wrote: View Post
    The New York game where JV had 17 and 10 on 12 shots in 27 minutes, with a block and 2 assists thrown in? Is that the game where he showed how little he has improved?
    Let's be McRealistic DanH, he's a "stiff"

Leave a comment:

• DanH
    replied
    McRealistic wrote: View Post
    It is almost a fact that both T.Ross and J.V. did not improve as much as one expected over the summer time. Looking at the NY game, J.V. is so slow on his offensive moves that was blocked both by AB and Amundson, both known to be very poor defensive player.

I expect a lot more from J.V. and I think he needs to accelerate his development this summer. Pick and area and work on it.
    The New York game where JV had 17 and 10 on 12 shots in 27 minutes, with a block and 2 assists thrown in? Is that the game where he showed how little he has improved?

Leave a comment:

• mcHAPPY
    replied
    It is almost a fact that both T.Ross and J.V. did not improve as much as one expected over the summer time. Looking at the NY game, J.V. is so slow on his offensive moves that was blocked both by AB and Amundson, both known to be very poor defensive player.

I expect a lot more from J.V. and I think he needs to accelerate his development this summer. Pick and area and work on it.
    Play with this chart.

http://bkref.com/tiny/E2p5T

I'm not sure what you can realistically expect out of a still improving 22 year old C.

However your complaints reflect 3 years of belly aching about lack of overall minutes and crunch time/4th quarter minutes.

JVs biggest issues right now are:
    1) his composure
    2) his finishing with authority (I.e dunking whenever possible)
    3) his coach

Leave a comment:

• McRealistic
    replied

Leave a comment:

• mcHAPPY
    replied
    Mindlessness wrote: View Post
    He (7.1) has the team lead over Lowry (6.8) in WS, and Lowry plays 8.6 MPG more and ~480 more minutes total.

Crazy.
    Lol - I know. And that is just the start.

Crazy indeed.

Leave a comment:

• Mindlessness
    replied

"WHAT?!?!?!?"
    He (7.1) has the team lead over Lowry (6.8) in WS, and Lowry plays 8.6 MPG more and ~480 more minutes total.

Crazy.

Leave a comment:

• mcHAPPY
    replied
    Define your Goal, get a coach that can take you there, fill up the SF and PF holes in the team, assign T.Ross and J.V. special coach so they improve over summer, Work with Bebe and Bruno and see what you have and ...

DD and Lowry are the ONLY bright spots of this team. MU has too many tasks on his to do list and trading DD or Lowry should not even be there.

"WHAT?!?!?!?"

Leave a comment:

• McRealistic
    replied
    Define your Goal, get a coach that can take you there, fill up the SF and PF holes in the team, assign T.Ross and J.V. special coach so they improve over summer, Work with Bebe and Bruno and see what you have and ...

DD and Lowry are the ONLY bright spots of this team. MU has too many tasks on his to do list and trading DD or Lowry should not even be there.

Leave a comment:

• OldSkoolCool
    replied
    New coach.

Trade DeRozan*

Hit up free agency.

*BC had a style of player and Casey has a style of play. DD fits both profiles. Two other similar players were Gay and Bargnani. I think Raptors have similar response to DD trade as previous two trades.
    To add:

I don't think DD fits in any of the "new age" key and three teams. If MU brings in a new coach he should be gunning for that. So firing Casey effectively means trading DD...

Leave a comment:

• slaw
    replied
    TRex wrote: View Post
    There's nothing wrong with his schemes. It's about effort and focus. Players needs to take full responsibility.
    It's a good point: Casey's system requires 100% effort and focus on each possession because it's a high risk/high reward system. If you play it right you get the Miami Heat defense from their title seasons. Sadly, it's a gamble that hasn't paid off.

However, this kind of defense requires certain personnel. Theoretically Raps had the guys: Lowry and Derozan are solid team defenders; James Johnson can be very, very good; Ross showed flashes of brilliance last year on defense; and Amir has always been capable of covering up defensive issues and mistakes. It hasn't worked out that way largely because Amir is hobbled and Ross wet the bed.

Too late to change now. Just have to ride it out.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X