No announcement yet.

Game# 3: 76ers at Raptors - Saturday, October 28 @ 7:30pm EST

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Funny because if the Raps won that Bulls game, this could be a 2-2 record instead of 1-3, the tune of the singers maybe different.

Scottie development is just fine. Growing pains. Dog days of growth.

Comment

• chris wrote: View Post

can you articulate what you think looks so different between them in the halfcourt? maybe there are a few more pick and rolls and a few less dribble hand off's compared to last year? (although there were a lot of pick and rolls post trade deadline last year). maybe dennis turns the corner and gets to the basket with a bit more frequency but he's been putrid finishing at the rim (46% and 30% from 2 in general). he is shooting unsustainably well (because he's wide open because he's not respected as a shooter) and that's a difference i guess, but we can't hang our hats on that and the fact he's knocking down shots is still not opening up the floor.

other than those minor details, most of it looks the same to me. he dominates the ball, has a tendency to stop it sometimes when it's moving by calling for screens, the sets tend to devolve into pick and rolls or mismatch hunting no matter how much they try to move it, etc.

i'm not even saying it's his fault necessarily, as the roster is clearly limited and he's not responsible for that. everything wasn't fred's fault last year either. but this is the same starting 5 as last year except for the dennis/fred swap, and it is just historically bad in the half court. and it's historically bad because we can't get anything towards the basket or from 2 in general and we can't get anything from 2 because teams are packing the paint and teams are packing the paint because there IS NO SPACING ON THE FLOOR.

big picture, my criticism boils down to the fact that i think our resources are best spent trying to maximize scottie's potential and despite his jump this season i still don't think he's being put in the best position to succeed. i think we're better off trying to optimize spacing in the starting lineup while playing through scottie and pascal than to run things through dennis without spacing. i think he's still too much of a bystander in the halfcourt and still looks like a really superb utility player in this starting lineup too often rather than the budding superstar he frequently looks like when he's more involved.

i'm not sure gary is the answer in the starting lineup for more spacing though, as he's been absolutely brutal. maybe that's gradey eventually. eventually maybe even being tomorrow against the bucks lol.
      Scottie is having a breakout season playing with Schroeder. That alone is enough and would never happen with Fred.

Gary has been playing like absolute shit and would make the starting lineup way worse. His defense is non existent and he never passes and now he's not even hitting shots. How would putting Gary in the lineup improve Scottie's play? It wouldn't. He would get less shots, have to try and do more on defense to cover for Gary, and he would never get the ball passed to him by Gary.

Easiest way to improve spacing is move Pascal to the bench for Gradey. Pascal is the main reason our spacing sucks. He's playing the wing now (Scottie's old role) and he can't shoot and everyone knows it but he's taking them anyways because they're good looks (thanks to Schroeder) but Pascal is just not a capable 3pt shooter.
      Last edited by Primer; Tue Oct 31, 2023, 02:25 PM.

Comment

• Primer wrote: View Post

Scottie is having a breakout season playing with Schroeder. That alone is enough and would never happen with Fred.
        i agree with this and have said as much multiple times on here in the past few weeks. i said their roles and play styles on offense are functionally extremely similar though and you said we're in a different universe for me thinking that, but still didn't articulate what's so different about them.

also scottie's breakout season is coming in spite of his role in the halfcourt alongside the other starters and not because of it. still a lot of standing around as they play through dennis and jak, still rarely getting to attack the basket because of the lack of spacing, etc. samson folk was talking about this on the post-game pod last night.

Primer wrote: View Post
        Gary has been playing like absolute shit and would make the starting lineup way worse. His defense is non existent and he never passes and now he's not even hitting shots. How would putting Gary in the lineup improve Scottie's play? It wouldn't. He would get less shots, have to try and do more on defense to cover for Gary, and he would never get the ball passed to him by Gary.
        agree gary has been bad hence my last comment, but he at least theoretically improves the spacing which would theoretically open the lane up a bit for scottie and pascal to attack.

Primer wrote: View Post
        Easiest way to improve spacing is move Pascal to the bench for Gradey. Pascal is the main reason our spacing sucks. He's playing the wing now (Scottie's old role) and he can't shoot and everyone knows it but he's taking them anyways because they're good looks (thanks to Schroeder) but Pascal is just not a capable 3pt shooter.
        also agree that would improve spacing. but lol at the notion of sending a two time all star/all nba player potentially up for a supermax contract to the bench in a contract year. just sit him out in that case until you find a deal for him.

also lol at the notion that anyone in the starting lineup is getting good looks from deep because of anyone else's passing ability. they're getting good looks because they are being invited to take them, not because dennis (or anyone else) is creating awesome looks.

Comment

• chris wrote: View Post

i agree with this and have said as much multiple times on here in the past few weeks. i said their roles and play styles on offense are functionally extremely similar though and you said we're in a different universe for me thinking that, but still didn't articulate what's so different about them.

also scottie's breakout season is coming in spite of his role in the halfcourt alongside the other starters and not because of it. still a lot of standing around as they play through dennis and jak, still rarely getting to attack the basket because of the lack of spacing, etc. samson folk was talking about this on the post-game pod last night.

agree gary has been bad hence my last comment, but he at least theoretically improves the spacing which would theoretically open the lane up a bit for scottie and pascal to attack.

also agree that would improve spacing. but lol at the notion of sending a two time all star/all nba player potentially up for a supermax contract to the bench in a contract year. just sit him out in that case until you find a deal for him.

also lol at the notion that anyone in the starting lineup is getting good looks from deep because of anyone else's passing ability. they're getting good looks because they are being invited to take them, not because dennis (or anyone else) is creating awesome looks.
          I'm seeing Dennis get guys good looks. Scottie is too.

I also saw Dennis feed Jak easy baskets all last game, a criticism of yours that was clearly unfounded.

Moving Dennis to the bench won't improve spacing. It would just make the starting lineup a lot worse by every metric, and would definitely negatively affect Scottie's game.

Comment

• ok hoss

Comment

Working...
            X