Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Draft Prospects (See Pg.7: Early Entries Announced!)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Draft Prospects (See Pg.7: Early Entries Announced!)

First a history lesson. The Raptors traded Jermaine O'Neal last season to the Heat. As part of the deal the Raptors sent a lotto protected first round draft pick to the Heat. It's protected from 2010-2015. What this means is that the next time the Raptors make the playoffs they lose their first rounder to the Heat. If they miss the playoffs they keep it.

Fast forward, Bosh is out for the season and the Bulls are playing better ball; 6-4 in their last ten. It looks like they may steal 8th seed. Their next two games are against the Nets and Raptors. If they win both and the Raptors lose to the Hawks, the Bull take a one game lead on 8th seed. It's time to start talking about potential draft picks because things don't look good right now. In the inverted standings, sorted by win %, the Raptors rank 13th, the Bulls 12th. If the Bulls take over 8th seed in the east the Raptors would move to 12th in the inverted standings. It is not likely that they will be able to catch the 11th team no matter how much they struggle without Bosh. So, right now, if the Bulls take over 8th seed it looks like the Raptors will land the 12th overall pick in the draft. Should they miss the playoff, what player would you like to see drafted at 12-15?

For me I think they should go with the best play available and that player may be Stanley Robinson . While they have Hedo Turkoglu now and Sonny Weems is playing very good ball at times, Stanley Robinson has the sort of upside where if paired with DeRozan down the road they two could become a formidable duo on the wing. The Raptors have been crying for a lock down defender for years to help hide some of the other players' weaknesses. Robinson has to potential to be a lock down guy and he rebounds the ball well, something important at the 3 for a team with Andrea Bargnani. Robinson can play either the 3 or 4. So if Bosh leaves and no suitable replacement is found he could fill in there until someone is found and/or Hedo is booted. One more thing, he played for UConn. Great program, great instructors, great overall experience. That matters.
    Eric Bledsoe PG Kentucky
    13.33%
    Paul George SF Fresno St.
    20.00%
    Ed Davis PF North Carolina
    6.67%
    Patrick Patterson PF Kentucky
    10.00%
    Hassan Whiteside C Marshall
    20.00%
    Cole Aldrich C Kansas
    6.67%
    Xavier Henry SG Kansas
    0.00%
    Other
    23.33%
    Trade Pick!!!
    0.00%
    Sell pick for some brewskies and call it a night
    0.00%
    Last edited by Apollo; Thu Apr 8, 2010, 08:53 AM.

Ya i think best player available is the way to go
    theres going to be a lot of stock chnges so i really dont want to guess who could be available at number 12 just yet.

Comment

One player I saw play this season that I really liked was Jarvis Varnado(6-9 210 PF/C) out of Mississippi State.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNoAw...eature=related

He averaged 4.7 blocks a game(NCAA Career Leader) and is real athletic. Right now I think he's being touted as a late 1st early second rounder though, so the Raps would have to trade up in the 2nd to get him. As for the 12, maybe Damion James out of Texas.

Pains me to say but I think I'm looking forward to the draft more than making the playoffs at this point. I don't see any use in making the playoffs especially if Bosh is out, it wouldn't even be fair. It might be worse than the Denver/New Orleans match-up last season.

Comment

I like that big kid from Duke.
        Any chances that we can get him?

Comment

Another guy I like is Xavier Henry. Plays decent D, has 3pt range, fits what the Raptors run on offense. He's not going to jump out of the gym like DeMar but if DeMar gets strong enough to move to the 3, Henry would be a good compliment at the 2.

Comment

Oh and then there's Willie Warren. He was being slotted as a top ten in some mocks last season before he pulled out. Think combo guard like Barbosa or Gordon. He's not going to improve the problems but he fits the system and has lots of talent.

Comment

For people like me who have a sliver of knowledge about college prospects and are looking to up thier knowledge, there is no better web site in the internet universe than

http://www.nbadraft.net/

I use it every year and it makes the draft infinitely more entertaining as you get to learn who these guys are.

Comment

I am a bit confused about how the lottery system works in the nba...with a 12th placement isnt there a (even remote) possibility of moving much higher?

Comment

Bendit wrote: View Post
                  I am a bit confused about how the lottery system works in the nba...with a 12th placement isnt there a (even remote) possibility of moving much higher?
                  Yes, we can either get 1,2,3 picks or move lower than we are, or we stay where we are. At our position, it is very likely that we will stay with the 12th pick, if hopefully we don't make the playoffs. I really don't want us to make the playoffs right now. Maybe if Bosh was able to play, I would be a bit interested.

I thought I would ever say this, but even if the Raptors make the playoffs I don't think I will be watching any of the games... It would be too painful to watch. But I honestly thought Boshful Raptors had a chance against Cleaveland...

Btw, if you are confused about the draft system read this,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NBA_Draft_Lottery
                  Take out the salami and cheese MAMA, this ball gameeeeee is OVERRRR!

Comment

What i think they should is try and trade up and get Demarcus Cousins. A big man that actually plays center, and build around a core of Demar, Sonny, Bargnani, and Demarcus. And during free agency sign and trade bosh for some young prospect and a good point (my first pick would be Nets if they get john wall we could trade for Harris and CDR since they dont play him enough)

Comment

Its been another tough season and although the team has shown flashes of looking good its all come down to terrible interior defence. If we miss the playoffs and retain our draft pick Im really high on Cole Aldrich, probably the best rebounding and defending big man in the draft and projected to be picked 12th. He avrages 15ppg 11rpg and 3 blocks, he also shoots 60% from the floor and 79% from the stripe.

Comment

Bendit wrote: View Post
                        All teams in the lotto have a shot at winning picks 1-3. The worse your record is, the higher your probability of winning a top 3 picks is. After the winners of the top three picks are drawn the rest of the draft order is determined by win/loss record. The probability of the Raptors jumping up and grabbing a top 3 pick is very slim. So much so it's not really worth paying much attention to in my mind.

Comment

Aris wrote: View Post
                          Cole Aldrich, probably the best rebounding and defending big man in the draft and projected to be picked 12th. He avrages 15ppg 11rpg and 3 blocks, he also shoots 60% from the floor and 79% from the stripe.
                          The best draft dedicated site in my mind is DraftExpress.com and they have Cole going 6th. Last year before he pulled out he was slotted in many mocks as a top ten pick too. I don't see him lasting to 12th. I mean the Jazz could need a big man, right now they have a pick slotted at 9th and Aldrich is everything Jerry Sloan holds dear in a basketball player. I don't think he would make it past the Jazz at 9.

Comment

Braveheart wrote: View Post
                            What i think they should is try and trade up and get Demarcus Cousins. A big man that actually plays center, and build around a core of Demar, Sonny, Bargnani, and Demarcus. And during free agency sign and trade bosh for some young prospect and a good point (my first pick would be Nets if they get john wall we could trade for Harris and CDR since they dont play him enough)
                            I don't know if I'm sold on Cousins. Even if they were to trade up to get him we'd definitely be in a re-building mode and people would have to be patient. His offensive game wouldn't be much his first couple seasons but I'd rather have him at C than Bargs. The only way to get him I see would involve a Bosh deal before he becomes a FA.

Another guy I watched during the tourney was Jordan Crawford from Xavier(the dude that dunked on LeBron last summer). That kid has game and looks like he's fearless. That double OT game vs. K State was a classic and he knocked down some huge shots. I guess he's not coming out this year but maybe next year he can be on our boards!

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
                              The best draft dedicated site in my mind is DraftExpress.com and they have Cole going 6th. Last year before he pulled out he was slotted in many mocks as a top ten pick too. I don't see him lasting to 12th. I mean the Jazz could need a big man, right now they have a pick slotted at 9th and Aldrich is everything Jerry Sloan holds dear in a basketball player. I don't think he would make it past the Jazz at 9.
                              You may be right but the site i always use is nbadraft.net and they have him slotted at 12th.

Comment

Working...
                              X