What was your #CaseyBreakingPoint?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yabadabayolo wrote: View Post
    You cant call yourself a raptors fan if you actually WANT a 0-4 playoff loss. Your just hooping for failure. And you only show up doing hard times to complain. wtf. Id rather a strong playoff run that goes to AT least the second round.

But I too, a Casey apologist all season have turned on that pos. It came when he subbed vasquez back in the game and vasquez immediatly fouled jackson for no godamn reason. Then the non timeout...

Cant wait for him to be fired in the offseason smh
    It's very difficult to understand my view if its difficult to stomach wanting to lose.
    I could argue that I'm SUCH a huge fan that I want them to lose. Kind of hard to comprehend eh?

Trust me the grass is greener on this side
    2006-07 NBA Coach of the Year

Comment

I think there was a game last year, we were down 2 with about 26 seconds left on the clock if I remember correctly, and the opposing team had the ball. After unsuccessfully trying for a steal, you think we would probably foul someone right?

Wrong. We chose not to foul. The opposing team held on to it and put up a shot right at the 24 second buzzer, at which point the ball took a long rebound off the rim and the game was over.

I could not understand it. Even though we have to credit Casey somewhat for turning this team around, it was one of those mistakes that was deliberate, crucial, and worthy of severe flak.

Comment

oseebhai wrote: View Post
        I think there was a game last year, we were down 2 with about 26 seconds left on the clock if I remember correctly, and the opposing team had the ball. After unsuccessfully trying for a steal, you think we would probably foul someone right?

Wrong. We chose not to foul. The opposing team held on to it and put up a shot right at the 24 second buzzer, at which point the ball took a long rebound off the rim and the game was over.

I could not understand it. Even though we have to credit Casey somewhat for turning this team around, it was one of those mistakes that was deliberate, crucial, and worthy of severe flak.
        was that last year or this season? can't remember now but I do remember that happening. Just a total lack of awareness.

Comment

oseebhai wrote: View Post

Game against the Hornets. It was before the Rudy trade.
          "My biggest concern as a coach is to not confuse winning with progress." - Steve Kerr
          "If it's unacceptable in defeat, it's unacceptable in victory." - Jeff Van Gundy

Comment

I agree with this statement.
            #Raptor4Life, #Prepping4thePlayoffs

Comment

RPT23 wrote: View Post
              TRex said:
              Wed Mar 25th, 2015 01:46 PM
              I will reserve my judgement on Casey after the season is over. I don't want to overreact. Not my thing.

I say this though, this board would be hilarious if Masai keeps him. Which is very possible specially if they win a playoff round which again is very possible. I like our chances vs the Bucks/Wizards.
              Grr... This I'd what I meant to agree with. Lol
              #Raptor4Life, #Prepping4thePlayoffs

Comment

^ Masai being the scary dude he is, will never fire Casey unless they lose horribly first round.
                Gotta pray for the worst in order to get the best.
                2006-07 NBA Coach of the Year

Comment

vasquez guarding evans to protect the lead...

Comment

cinqueda wrote: View Post
                    vasquez guarding evans to protect the lead...
                    classic

Comment

"Bargnani's our guy come hell or high water" did a lot to sour me.

It made me realize that despite his seemingly good qualities at the time, Casey was just another in the long list of yes men this club has employed.

Comment

Wasn't until the start of the slide, after the Portland game, for me. There were flaws before that, but on the flip side the effort, energy and cohesion the team played with at both ends of the floor for long stretches after the Gay trade were all great. It was incredible to go from several years of a Jay Triano defense to a top 10 defense.

I think Casey's shown a basic inability to be adaptive or innovative, or to maximize the talent he has on his roster. He's got one system in is head and the whole team suffers if the personnel can't execute it - or if the opposition figures out how to gameplan for it. After that happens there are zero adjustments made by the Raptors. That's led to a slow erosion in play as other teams make the Raps look worse and worse and even though the locker room is still tight-lipped, I have a hard time believing Toronto's players believe in what the coach is telling them to do. They've seen it not work defensively all season long, and they've seen the offense struggle since December.

All that said, this team could still win the first round depending on the matchup. I'd still expect to see Casey gone this summer, though. There's enough recent precedent to upgrade the coaching even if the team is moderately successful. You don't have to keep a guy just because the record's not bad.

Also disagree with all the conjecture about Masai keeping Casey to basically save his own ass and avoid going out on a limb. Masai is patient, not a coward imho. Unlike Colangelo, MU was willing to move his own signings in Denver if it made the team better or looked like a mistake in hindsight.

Bigger trepedation with Masai is that when it was time to swing for the fences and hand out major contracts in Denver, the results were mixed. I hope he gets it right over the next couple of seasons.
                        Last edited by S.R.; Mon Mar 30, 2015, 02:43 PM.
                        "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

tDotted wrote: View Post
                          I've wanted him gone for so long, I can't even remember when it all started lol
                          I've been patient and growing more adverse to having him back, but the real tipping point has been the whole JJ public denouncement....how can it really be any worse.... I think we will look back and see many signs of the fact that he has lost the players on this team.

Comment

The big tell for me last season was the use (or lack thereof) of Landry Fields. Yes, his shot was broken, but he brought a good amount of skills to the offense (passing/cutting/movement) and solid defense at a position of need, that I believed he'd be a net positive in the rotation. Yet Casey refused to give him any significant minutes, even though Landry preformed really well in the limited minutes he got. Had Casey played him it would have been much easier to insert him into the rotation in the playoffs. Fields would have negated the need to double Joe Johnson, which was the reason we lost that series.

It demonstrated Casey's inability to adjust, and his inability to use the personnel he has.

Casey is a placeholder coach for me. If Masai doesn't find a new head coach in the off season I will be disappointed, and my Masai stock tip will go from "Buy" to "Hold"
                            "They're going to have to rename the whole conference after us: Toronto Raptors 2014-2015 Northern Conference Champions" ~ ezzbee Dec. 2014

"I guess I got a little carried away there" ~ ezzbee Apr. 2015

"We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Comment

Working...
                            X