Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

12/09/2013: We will not be stuck in no-mans land.

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • 12/09/2013: We will not be stuck in no-mans land.


  • #2
    If DC is fired and half the roster is overhauled this offseason, then even if the team looks to be headed in a better direction, there will remain a nagging feeling that this season was a complete waste.

    Also, even if it does feel a bit like no man's land, it's the ongoing debate about intentions VS outcome. The rumored Lowry trade (which multiple Raptors front office folks have publically confirmed) signaled MU's intent, but the tanking strategy couldn't be executed, so MU gave the team (roster & coach) a chance to prove themselves.

    For me, this offseason will be the defining period of time for MU. The fact that he didn't go 'all in' at the trade deadline, despite the apparent opportunity in an historically weak EC, speaks volumes about his true feelings about this team. MU's ability to change short-term strategy while keeping his eye on a consistent long-term strategy, stands in stark contract to the BC-era Raptors (desperate short-term moves and lack of long-term strategy).

    Comment


    • #3
      In spite of this year being a total fuckup, i'd still say no, we're not. We'll know more by the end of the summer.

      Comment


      • #4
        CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
        If DC is fired and half the roster is overhauled this offseason, then even if the team looks to be headed in a better direction, there will remain a nagging feeling that this season was a complete waste.

        Also, even if it does feel a bit like no man's land, it's the ongoing debate about intentions VS outcome. The rumored Lowry trade (which multiple Raptors front office folks have publically confirmed) signaled MU's intent, but the tanking strategy couldn't be executed, so MU gave the team (roster & coach) a chance to prove themselves.

        For me, this offseason will be the defining period of time for MU. The fact that he didn't go 'all in' at the trade deadline, despite the apparent opportunity in an historically weak EC, speaks volumes about his true feelings about this team. MU's ability to change short-term strategy while keeping his eye on a consistent long-term strategy, stands in stark contract to the BC-era Raptors (desperate short-term moves and lack of long-term strategy).
        No roster overhaul just turf Casey

        Comment


        • #5
          raptors999 wrote: View Post
          No roster overhaul just turf Casey
          With 7/15 players on expiring contracts, I think it's a foregone conclusion that there will be significant changes to the roster come next season, regardless of the coaching situation.

          Comment


          • #6
            CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
            With 7/15 players on expiring contracts, I think it's a foregone conclusion that there will be significant changes to the roster come next season, regardless of the coaching situation.
            I already know who I want back and who I want gone out of that mix.

            Plus, we have 2 guys coming in already (Daniels and our Draft Pick)
            Axel wrote:
            Now Cody can stop posting about this guy and we have a poster to blame if anything goes wrong!!
            KeonClark wrote:
            We won't hear back from him. He dissapears into thin air and reappears when you least expect it. Ten is an enigma. Ten is a legend. Ten for the motherfucking win.
            KeonClark wrote:
            I can't wait until the playoffs start.

            Until then, opinions are like assholes. Everyone has one and they most often stink

            Comment


            • #7
              There will be a lot of flexibility and 3 draft picks coming in over the next two summers. No reason to think they are stuck in no-man's-land just yet. Lots of room for internal growth as well.

              Paying piles of money and picks to put together a terrible team like the Nets did - that's being stuck.
              twitter.com/dhackett1565

              Comment


              • #8
                I'm going to put on my Negative Nellie cap for a minute, then quickly take it off:

                - The Raptors are going to be getting a mediocre pick this year.
                - The Raptors got a mediocre pick last year and the guy they picked is still going to be 4 years away after this year is over.
                - They don't have any stars in their roster other then Lowry who's already 29 and now has back issues
                - Ross has regressed.
                - JV is not being used, so his development may have been stunted a bit
                - The Knicks pick could end up bad if the Knicks over haul their roster with prime free agents and a top tier draft pick
                - Cap space isn't helpful since every team in the league (even Brooklyn) will have cap space by 2016.
                - The coach is a half wit (or sorry fuckwit).


                Masai defined mediocrity as the 7-11 seed.. well the Atlantic sucks so that's why the get to be 4th (or maybe 5th if the Wiz end up with a better record). But that's pretty close to the 7-11 seed. It's apparently easy to make the playoffs as Masai kept alluding too.. and they will make it despite their horrendous play of late.

                I do have some big expectations. Masai has done some good things and I feel like he hasn't really started his rebuild yet. But he better deliver or else I'll need to find a new avatar.. and that'll be annoying.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Masai knows exactly where we're headed with the last 40 games played. If he can find a good deal in the offseason to move Lowry he will

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Cody73 wrote: View Post
                    I already know who I want back and who I want gone out of that mix.

                    Plus, we have 2 guys coming in already (Daniels and our Draft Pick)
                    This is not a guarantee.
                    The Double Champ is here!
                    Dynasty King: RRNBADLS7
                    Raptors: Larry O'Brien

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      rocwell wrote: View Post
                      Im pretty sure everyone remembers Masais words...

                      “The one thing I can say is that we will not be trapped in the middle. . . . We will not be stuck in no-man’s land.”
                      But if you won’t commit to any T-words, how can you say that?
                      “Because I know I can say that.”

                      Do you think we are still stuck in no-mans land?
                      Great Great Post.

                      After watching today's game, I was thinking how important is it for a good GM in this league to have a vision, a foreshadowing sense if you may, and be proactive rather than reactive !!!

                      For us fans, it is difficult to have that sense because:

                      1) We don't have the team around us that can help us estimate or for lack of better word see the future before it happens.
                      2) We don't have the tools that are averrable to the GMs in the league
                      3) We don't have the other resources and the time.

                      So what makes a good GM ? Is it that he can find talents where no one else can ? Is it that he can see weakness in his team before someone else sees them ? Or is it that he can react when he sees the problem when they happen ? Or is it the combination of all of it.

                      I don't know what to think of MU right now ... After 2 years, I think this team needs a re-start, a new coach, a new philosophy and new vision and probably new players.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I think this summer we'll have a feeling about how good of a GM Masai is and will have a near complete understanding at the end of next year. Any judgement before then wouldn't make sense.

                        The Raptors won't have any unmovable contracts next year, expect changes.
                        Sunny ways my friends, sunny ways
                        Because its 2015

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          No need to panic, its better to be proactive then reactive. That is what BC did and a lot of people hated him for always making band aid solutions. So we aren't stuck in no mans land just wait till the summer we are in a good position and will make significant changes, these changes would have already been made if we didn't overachieve last season.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            rocwell wrote: View Post
                            Im pretty sure everyone remembers Masais words...

                            “The one thing I can say is that we will not be trapped in the middle. . . . We will not be stuck in no-man’s land.”
                            But if you won’t commit to any T-words, how can you say that?
                            “Because I know I can say that.”

                            Do you think we are still stuck in no-mans land?
                            No man's land means not good enough to make the playoffs but also not bad enough to land a high draft pick.

                            Raptors top 4 in the East. And still is in a position to win a playoff round this year which really is the expectation going into this season.
                            Mamba Mentality

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              TRex wrote: View Post
                              No man's land means not good enough to make the playoffs but also not bad enough to land a high draft pick.

                              Raptors top 4 in the East. And still is in a position to win a playoff round this year which really is the expectation going into this season.
                              My interpretation is that it refers to teams that aren't good enough to get out of the first round, nor bad enough to land a high lottery pick. Quite often, especially in the EC, the bottom couple playoff spots are borderline .500 teams, who really have no hope for playoff success. That's why Atlanta was the poster-child of treadmill teams for years, when they consistently made the playoffs and went nowhere.

                              A team should either be contending (or at least improving on the road to contending for at least the conference championship - and not just in a historically awful year for the conference), or methodically rebuilding. In between is the dreaded 'treadmill team' zone. Of course, bad/mismanagement is another issue entirely.

                              When MU made the comment about not being stuck in no man's land, I took that to mean that despite having a franchise history full of failure, he would not allow the team/management/ownership/fans to be satisfied with simply making the playoffs to become 1st round fodder for truly good teams. That's partly why I think MU will consider a 1st round exit this season to be a failure of a season, because he was adamant that they would build on last season's unexpected success.
                              Last edited by CalgaryRapsFan; Thu Mar 26, 2015, 03:52 PM.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X